Ad here on AD by a Law Firm

Wow, really? I would like to find this link. I have a friend who contracted streptococcal meningitis back in 2002. She nearly died after being implanted with an AB model that had a positioner. She may be very interested in any info regarding a class action suit.

Now, this is proof.

Now, do any of u condone someone nearly dying as a result of defect devices especially if the company knew about it? If u do, ooohhh..that's :cold:

I was thinkin the same thing last night. If they were so innocent then why pay out so much money?

I think the answer to that question is obvious.:cool2:

By the same token, if AB has 1.1 million dollars to just throw away, then the arguments that they aren't in it for the profit they can make are blown out of the water.

Now, this is proof.

Now, do any of u condone someone nearly dying as a result of defect devices especially if the company knew about it? If u do, ooohhh..that's :cold:

I sure as heck don't. Most would also be interested to know that Advanced Bionics only required the meningiococcal vaccine at the time of her implantation. That only protects against meningitis caused by meningiococcal bacteria. Bacterial meningitis can be caused by a couple different strains. One being, streptococcal, which my friend contracted and nearly died from.

And, yes there's been recalls and the positioners are no longer used and on and on. But, that only helps present and future emplantees. There's millions of people who were implanted with cochlear implants that had positioners. They weren't told of problems. My friend did NOT know that the recall was underway when she was implanted. Had she known, I'm sure she would NOT have chosen to be impanted with an AB model. All was well for the first 18 mos after she was implanted, and then she got sick and nearly died.

At the time, she went to see a lawyer, but was told nothing could be done. I am hoping that this class action suit goes forward, because there are people out there who have been harmed and they should be compensated.

I sure as heck don't. Most would also be interested to know that Advanced Bionics only required the meningiococcal vaccine at the time of her implantation.

There's millions of people who were implanted with cochlear implants that had positioners.

All was well for the first 18 mos after she was implanted, and then she got sick and nearly died.

That's because after this has happened, Cochlear and Med El got a wake up call. So they now require all CI implantees to get the vaccine.

Millions?! I highly doubt that. I don't even think the number of CI users has broke a million yet. There's only about 2000 (I'm increasing the number from 1200 because seems that a LOT more people have been getting bilaterals this year) bilaterals users.

I doubt that it's from the implant - I'm not saying that it's IMPOSSIBLE, but normally you can see meningitis within a couple weeks after being exposed. I don't think this type of bacteria can remain dormant in the body for 18 months. I'm not saying that I'm correct, but I just find that doubtful. There's 3 different types of streptococcal strains.

Like I said, I may be 100% wrong, or somewhat right. I just never heard of Meningitis showing up after 18 months of being dormant in the body.

Sorry to hear about your friend though. :-( I'm glad that she's okay now.

You're right Lady - at the time the AB model with the positioner was no longer manufacturered there were only 60,000 total CI users in the world and AB would have had no more than 30% of the US market and probably less in the worldwide market. So nowhere near "millions".

I feel for Oceanbreeze's friend though. I'd be livid if I had been implanted with something that had already been recalled and then went on to suffer the reason for the recall. I'm surprised the lawyer that she saw could not help her.

That's because after this has happened, Cochlear and Med El got a wake up call. So they now require all CI implantees to get the vaccine.

Millions?! I highly doubt that. I don't even think the number of CI users has broke a million yet. There's only about 2000 (I'm increasing the number from 1200 because seems that a LOT more people have been getting bilaterals this year) bilaterals users.

I doubt that it's from the implant - I'm not saying that it's IMPOSSIBLE, but normally you can see meningitis within a couple weeks after being exposed. I don't think this type of bacteria can remain dormant in the body for 18 months. I'm not saying that I'm correct, but I just find that doubtful. There's 3 different types of streptococcal strains.

Like I said, I may be 100% wrong, or somewhat right. I just never heard of Meningitis showing up after 18 months of being dormant in the body.

Sorry to hear about your friend though. :-( I'm glad that she's okay now.

Yeah. People got their shit together AFTER people got hurt. Good on them, but what about those people who got sick or the families who lost loved ones, because they unknowingly consented to having a defective product placed inside them? It may not have been millions. It could have only been thousands, but even ONE person dying from meningitis in that circumstance is too many.

The risk for meningitis remained for up to 18 mos after the implant surgery. My friend got sick when fluids got trapped in her inner ear. Bacteria was allowed to breed and spread to her brain. She got sick with what she thought was a minor infection on a Saturday. She was rushed to the hospital two days later and was told had they delayed getting her there just two more hrs, she would have been dead. The point is, she was never notified of the defect or that the CI with positioner had been recalled. That's what I'm saying. You can nitpick all you want, but the bottom line is the CI was defective and Advanced Bionics knew it. In my mind, this is damn good reason for the class action suit to go forward and I hope it does.

I have also given my friend the link in the hopes of sharing with her the information about the suit. I hope she can take advantage of it.

Last edited:
Yeah. People got their shit together AFTER people got hurt. Good on them, but what about those people who got sick or the families who lost loved ones, because they unknowingly consented to having a defective product placed inside them? It may not have been millions. It could have only been thousands, but even ONE person dying from meningitis in that circumstance is too many.

The risk for meningitis remained for up to 18 mos after the implant surgery. My friend got sick when fluids got trapped in her inner ear. Bacteria was allowed to breed and spread to her brain. She got sick with what she thought was a minor infection on a Saturday. She was rushed to the hospital two days later and was told had they delayed getting her there just two more hrs, she would have been dead. The point is, she was never notified of the defect or that the CI with positioner had been recalled. That's what I'm saying. You can nitpick all you want, but the bottom line is the CI was defective and Advanced Bionics knew it. In my mind, this is damn good reason for the class action suit to go forward and I hope it does.

I have also given my friend the link in the hopes of sharing with her the information about the suit. I hope she can take advantage of it.

I hope your friend can take advantage of it too...just tell her to be wary of the lawyers trying to reap the profits instead of her.

I hope your friend can take advantage of it too...just tell her to be wary of the lawyers trying to reap the profits instead of her.

Thank you, Shel. You also had a good point. I'll pass that thought on to her. :)

Let me also just say this...

I am not against CI implantation. I've given my support to people who've been implanted or want to be implanted. The only reason I'm so concerned here is because my friend nearly died because of a companies' negligence and was told "tough luck. There's nothing you can do.", when she tried to bring an invidual suit. But, if there is a class action suit, it is my hope that she can be compensated, somehow.

That is all, folks. I'm not bashing CI's. I'm not bashing anyone for wanting a CI. The only thing I will say to someone is do your research and know what you're getting into.

Interesting, I'm just kind of surprised that the bacteria did not show any symptoms a lot sooner than 18 months.

Wish your friend good luck with the class action suit.

Back