Abused baby left blind and deaf

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
BBC NEWS | UK | England | Bradford | Abused baby left blind and deaf

A West Yorkshire couple who abused their six-week-old daughter and failed to get medical help for her broken bones and meningitis have been jailed.

Rizwan Patel, 27, and Alliah Bradshaw, 29, of Hebden Bridge, pleaded guilty to child cruelty at an earlier hearing at Bradford Crown Court.

The court heard the baby was left brain-damaged, blind and deaf due to a lack of medical attention.

Patel was jailed for four-and-a-half years and Bradshaw for three years.

Patel had also pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm after admitting shaking his daughter so hard "in a fit of temper" he broke nine of her ribs and her collar bone.

'Obvious pain'

The judge who jailed the couple described their actions as "inexplicable, deplorable and indefensible".

The court heard the baby was placed on the Child Protection Register after Bradshaw, a drug addict, had two other children in her care taken from her for neglect and ill-treatment.

The girl, known as Baby H for legal reasons, was born addicted to drugs because of her mother's drug problem and suffered withdrawal symptoms in the days following her birth.

The court heard social services from Calderdale Council were "determined to keep a watchful eye" on the child but it was deemed "appropriate" for her to remain with the couple on her release from hospital.

Health and support workers visited regularly and advised Patel and Bradshaw to take their daughter to hospital for an X-ray on her legs when she was in "obvious and demonstrable pain".

But the couple failed to take her and lied to the professionals about booking an appointment.

Patel admitted shaking Baby H one evening when Bradshaw went out to buy drugs and did not come home until the following morning.

He said he was anxious about Bradshaw and became angry when his daughter would not stop crying.

The couple did not initially seek medical attention for these injuries or when Baby H became increasingly unwell, vomiting and passing blood. Patel eventually took her to the doctor.

Cerebral palsy

Baby H was immediately rushed to hospital in an ambulance, where she was diagnosed with septicaemia and meningitis, as well as fractures to her legs, ribs and collar bone.

Sentencing the couple, Judge Jonathan Rose said: "These actions were inexplicable, deplorable and indefensible.

"The consequences of her untreated illnesses was that this baby suffered brain damage, she has blindness, she has deafness, she has required surgical intervention, she has cerebral palsy.

"The real suffering is to come for a long time in the future because her life has been effectively ruined. She is condemned to a future of suffering, she will need constant and indefinite care."

A serious case review is currently being carried out into the neglect of Baby H and is due to be published later this year.

Quite true, but I blame social services, too. THEY were the one who placed this defenseless baby back in the custody of drug addicted parents.
I must say I agree with you. It's inexplicable that the social services would let them keep the baby given their history. I also can't understand why they'd hurt a baby like this.

Only 4 1/2 YEARS! AND 3 YEARS FOR THE OTHER ONE?

To quote the judge that sentenced them, "These actions were (are) inexplicable, deplorable and indefensible. "

Here in the states both parents would be looking at 10-15 years at the minimum.

I think the whole system has just suffered an EPIC FAIL. The parents had a known history of child neglect and abuse as well as a history of drug abuse, yet the CPS placed the child back into the home without requiring the parents to undergo treatment or counseling for their own issues.

The sad part is more than likely after both of these monsters are released from prison they will reunite and make more babies to abuse and neglect.

I say upon release both should be sterilized so as to prevent another child being brought into an unfortunate situation of having incompetent excuses for parents.

sorry, an accidental repost.

Quite interesting that the baby is still alive. God works in mysterious ways.

:mad: This angers me! I can't believe that parents would do something like that!

They are just simply monsters!

I think they need to be in jail for 25 years or more! Not four years!

I say upon release both should be sterilized so as to prevent another child being brought into an unfortunate situation of having incompetent excuses for parents.
AMEN!!!!! I'm sorry, but unless we're talking about pot, most chronic druggies SHOULD be sterillized. They fuck little kid's lives up!

While sterilization seems to make sense, it goes against their rights. Whoever has guardianship of the Baby H, should prosecute for attempted murder, and sue them in a wrongful neglect suit for every penny they could possibly ever make in their lifetimes. Keep them in jail forever.

While sterilization seems to make sense, it goes against their rights.
WHAT rights? Look I'm not one of those people who think that all poor people should be sterilized. That said, there ARE some people who don't nessarily have the abilty to function as parents. Don't go with a Franco sort of sterilization program.......make it very strict, so that it's not open to abuse....but at the same time it should be an option.

AMEN!!!!! I'm sorry, but unless we're talking about pot, most chronic druggies SHOULD be sterillized. They fuck little kid's lives up!

I agree too.

I also agree that the social services shouldn't have put them back in that house in the first place.

I also think they should have longer prison sentances considering what they did.

I think the case is really sad.

Back