About Old Growth forests

sequoias

Premium Member
Reaction score
If this is in the wrong forum, please move it to somewhere.

I just came across this image of the orginal virgin forests....see how much have changed for the last 400 years! I feel sad because how they destroyed a lot of virgin forests for development and it has left isolated spots today.

More info about old growth forests at Old growth forest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oldgrowth3.jpg

i know that is very sad to see forests go i love forests they are so beautiful

That is depressing to see!

Yep, imagine that! They destroyed so much of the orginal forests with large trees, dead wood, etc...which many happy animals chattered and squeaked about in the forest. You see those dots in California mountains near Nevada...those are usually the groves of giant sequoias growing along with ponderosa pines, etc. There's quite a few groves isolated there now, not like in the past. It is hard to imagine the Sierra-Nevada mountain range full of giant trees few hundred of years ago. :hmm:

It is happening everywhere all over the world. Yes it is sad about the old growth forest are getting smaller and smaller. Over here in Western Australia, some of old growth forest are protected after a big protest which fought hard to stop the loggers. Some protesters chained themselves to the trees. People camping in the forest to stop the loggers. Then the government gave in and decide to protects the forest. Our forests in the south west of West Aust are the most beautiful area with many tall karri trees. I have seen a couple of sequoias tree there too, awesome tree.

From that link, a bit about West Aust Old growth forest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For example in Western Australia, the timber industry tried to limit the area of Old Growth in the karri forests of the Southern Forests Region; this led to the creation of the Western Australian Forests Alliance, the splitting of the Liberal Government of Western Australia and the election of the Gallop Labor Government. Old Growth Forests in this region have now been placed inside National Parks. A small proportion of Old Growth Forest also exists in South-West Australia, and is protected by a Federal laws from logging, which hasn't occurred there for more than twenty years.

Yep yep, something for you guys new to learn...but for me, that's really old news. I know that for the fact is about at least 96 percent of the virgin redwood forests are destroyed and California only has less than 4 percent of them remaining in protected reserves. I'm sure there are a lot like that gone in the other states.

Yep yep, something for you guys new to learn...but for me, that's really old news. I know that for the fact is about at least 96 percent of the virgin redwood forests are destroyed and California only has less than 4 percent of them remaining in protected reserves. I'm sure there are a lot like that gone in the other states.
Yes I know all about it and I am still upset about state of Ca sold our redwood to Japan and we do not need redwood furtinures around here also.
Leave those old redwood trees alone. I am glad u love those forests.

Yes I know all about it and I am still upset about state of Ca sold our redwood to Japan and we do not need redwood furtinures around here also.
Leave those old redwood trees alone. I am glad u love those forests.

Yeah, not surprising that they sell some of the old growth redwood as furniture. I don't mind if they plant and grow them to cut them down for furniture...but using those really old trees...that's really sad. They have lived for thousand of years to provide the ecosystem something.

Yeah, not surprising that they sell some of the old growth redwood as furniture. I don't mind if they plant and grow them to cut them down for furniture...but using those really old trees...that's really sad. They have lived for thousand of years to provide the ecosystem something.
When I walk thru homedepot or Lowe's, I wonder where the redwood come from, old growth or new ones? I hope those are new ones not old ones. Truthfully I hate those loggers and the greedy companies who want to destroy those beautiful old forest. But then again my grandfather did remove alot of old growth in southeast Missouri for farming reason back in early 1900's and now there is no trees around there at all.

When I walk thru homedepot or Lowe's, I wonder where the redwood come from, old growth or new ones? I hope those are new ones not old ones. Truthfully I hate those loggers and the greedy companies who want to destroy those beautiful old forest. But then again my grandfather did remove alot of old growth in southeast Missouri for farming reason back in early 1900's and now there is no trees around there at all.

Wow, that's a quite of a story you got there about Missouri. Yeah, it is a huge change from before the Europeans settled here.

The best way to tell apart between old growth and young growth redwoods is the grain of the wood.....kinda hard to explain, though. Yeah, the practice they do...yep they still do that....basically old growth trees are classified as at least 200 years old or older. I'm sure in the 1600's, there may be at least 1500-2000 year old redwoods, which is common place...but now....quite a few are at least 1000 years old...most are between 200-800 years old in old growth reserves.

Wow, that's a quite of a story you got there about Missouri. Yeah, it is a huge change from before the Europeans settled here.

The best way to tell apart between old growth and young growth redwoods is the grain of the wood.....kinda hard to explain, though. Yeah, the practice they do...yep they still do that....basically old growth trees are classified as at least 200 years old or older. I'm sure in the 1600's, there may be at least 1500-2000 year old redwoods, which is common place...but now....quite a few are at least 1000 years old...most are between 200-800 years old in old growth reserves.

Wow you do know alot about those trees. Me? not much but I used to go hike in those old forests and other one too ancient one on other side of Calif. I loved it there but I am not much expert on those woods as my husband do when he did cabinet business, I will ask him if those redwood are from old or new he will know it. He was the one who told me about those lumbers he used to buy and the good and best ones are shipping to other country while we get bad lumbers and we stuck with them.

Wow you do know alot about those trees. Me? not much but I used to go hike in those old forests and other one too ancient one on other side of Calif. I loved it there but I am not much expert on those woods as my husband do when he did cabinet business, I will ask him if those redwood are from old or new he will know it. He was the one who told me about those lumbers he used to buy and the good and best ones are shipping to other country while we get bad lumbers and we stuck with them.

Good idea to ask him so he could probably explain to you about the difference between those. :) Yeah, I have walked thru many ancient forests, also. :)

Good idea to ask him so he could probably explain to you about the difference between those. :) Yeah, I have walked thru many ancient forests, also. :)
I can see why you choose this name as your AD name. ;) You love those woods too.

Then we could demand bamboo wood instead. It has to be from a certain kind of bamboos that grow like crazy. There are some people who are growing bamboos in USA.

Then we could demand bamboo wood instead. It has to be from a certain kind of bamboos that grow like crazy. There are some people who are growing bamboos in USA.

That won't work. Bamboo is part of grass family and it won't work and I don't think it's really feasible for different materials as it's fine for some things. There's plastic mixed in wood pulp to make 2 by 4's or whatever to build houses...they're made from recycled wood pulp and plastic to make shape out of things. The negative thing is it's kind of expensive.

Back