ABC or MEL-EL

darkangel8603

Reaction score
I was told that i would be recieving a MEL-El implant, but i personally prefer ABD (Advanced Bionics) cuz of the design as i dun like the design of the MEL-EL implant.
but the audologlist said that if i wanted the ABC i have to let them know soon so they can see if its possible for me to get ABC.

So, i am curious who like ABC or MEL-EL, and can you describe them more to me.

I am going to be away to cottage for a week, so if i dont answer back, you will know why.

THanks

darkangel: I have a Nucleus CI, so can't comment on Med-EL or AB. However, I would suggest that you compare the features of both to find out what will work best for you given your lifestyle.

You can find more information about both CIs by going to:

Med-El

http://www.medel.com

Advanced Bionics

http://www.bionicear.com

Hope this helps! :)

Hear Again said:
darkangel: I have a Nucleus CI, so can't comment on Med-EL or AB. However, I would suggest that you compare the features of both to find out what will work best for you given your lifestyle.

You can find more information about both CIs by going to:

Med-El

http://www.medel.com

Advanced Bionics

http://www.bionicear.com

Hope this helps! :)

Is your kind of CI made new recently? Is it true that during surgery for CI, it is risky to end up coma? or paralized? how do you like it? how long have you had it? Im wanting to get one...so I havent decided when etc...:)

Coloravalance:

My CI (Nucleus 24 Contour Advance) was the newest implant available as of March, 2004. The newest Nucleus CI is now the "Freedom." If I remember correctly, the Freedom has been available since April of this year.

I've had my CI for 6 months and I *love* it! I've had severe-profound hearing loss for the past 10 years. I couldn't hear or understand speech with HAs for the past 2-3 years. Now I'm able to listen to the TV and radio. I'm also enjoying music again and am even taking voice lessons. As exciting as that is, one of the things I enjoy most about my CI is being able to hear environmental sounds. I'm totally blind and use sounds for my own safety at home and outdoors. Before my CI, I had to use a signaling system to alert me to a TTY/TeleBraille call, someone at the door, the fire alarm and/or smoke detector. Now I can hear a knock at the door, the fire alarm and the smoke detector. I can also talk on the phone.

CI surgery will *not* cause a coma. Here is what happens during CI surgery: A very small incision (2 inches) is made just above and behind the ear. A small depression is drilled into the mastoid bone. (This is what holds the implant in place.) Electrodes are threaded into the cochlea and the incision is closed.

The risk of facial nerve paralysis is minimal (very small) to none. During surgery they use a facial nerve monitoring device to make sure the facial nerve is not damaged. They watch for this *very* closely. Out of all the people I know who have CIs, none of them have had problems with facial paralysis. While that doesn't mean it will never happen, the chances are very small.

Good luck! :) If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask!

what about nucleus? its a well known implant for years and years.

i just got mine nucleus freedom. and to be honest.. my audiologist dislike med-el.. its not popular here in USA. soo i dunno :-/

coloravalanche said:
Is your kind of CI made new recently? Is it true that during surgery for CI, it is risky to end up coma? or paralized? how do you like it? how long have you had it? Im wanting to get one...so I havent decided when etc...:)
I never heard a case that u'll end up in coma... but there's a case of paralize... is ur facial again thats totally RARE. and normally if it happens its temporary.. and a very very very very small chance its permendant. at my hostipal where mine is performed.. it happened once. just because this guy has motion problems that he moves his head uncontrolable causing diffculty for doctor to preform a surgery.

doctor use special assistance standing watching what he's doing through t.v. with close view camera. and they have special machine that warns doctor that u're close to the nerves. if any questions feel free to PM me

well for nuclear, they dun have them in canada yet, i think the fda have not approve it to be in canada yet.

Back