A way to figure Deaf poulation?

dkf747

Reaction score
Quote from this thread:

""How many people use ASL is unknown. "Researchers in the field of deafness are confident [that the number is] more than 250,000, and would be surprised if it were more than 1 million," said Ross Mitchell, a research scientist at Gallaudet Research Institute, part of Gallaudet University, a college for the deaf in Northeast Washington."

One would think that the number of VP's (both kinds) distributed, would give a rough idea of how many Deaf live in a given area. Every time I ask, "How many Deaf live in DC area?" the response is always something like, "about 50,000-100,000." Those numbers do not seem right. Would counting the number of VP's be closer to the true number? I realize that it won't be exact, but will it be close?

Using VP as statistic will surely give false results. Know why? Not ALL deafies have VP, they either were afraid of trying them, OR they don't have broadband connectivity. Other factor that would mess up the survey is some people can have 5 VP in their home, are you counting them as 5 instead of really one?

dkf747 said:
Quote from this thread:

""How many people use ASL is unknown. "Researchers in the field of deafness are confident [that the number is] more than 250,000, and would be surprised if it were more than 1 million," said Ross Mitchell, a research scientist at Gallaudet Research Institute, part of Gallaudet University, a college for the deaf in Northeast Washington."

One would think that the number of VP's (both kinds) distributed, would give a rough idea of how many Deaf live in a given area. Every time I ask, "How many Deaf live in DC area?" the response is always something like, "about 50,000-100,000." Those numbers do not seem right. Would counting the number of VP's be closer to the true number? I realize that it won't be exact, but will it be close?

diehardbiker65 said:
Using VP as statistic will surely give false results. Know why? Not ALL deafies have VP, they either were afraid of trying them, OR they don't have broadband connectivity. Other factor that would mess up the survey is some people can have 5 VP in their home, are you counting them as 5 instead of really one?
You got a point there. Why don't you knock on each door and write down how many deafies there are? :thumb: :giggle:

I know the numbers would be off, but there are ways to reduce the error, aren't there? They're not sending 50-100 thousand VP's to the DC area. Right? Okay so maybe this won't work. Other than going door to door, where can one find out the deaf population in an area?

Back