A Violation of Human Rights Re: Forcing A Deaf Child to Wear CI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jillio: - which deaf/Deaf that you asserted would "pick up your assertions"? -I don't! I keep trying to remind you I am BILATERALLY DEAF SINCE December 20, 2006. No I didn't consult with the Ontario Association of Deaf to "certify".

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Last edited:
Yes, You do. But what happens when a hearing parent gets conflicting advice -- all based on valid deaf experiences? We have to use our research and our judgment. And there are a far greater number of deaf representing and supporting the oral experience. I've met with many deaf adults who have related their experiences, good and bad. And I've communicated online with many more. And I've crawled and lurked on the websites and blogs of young deaf to get a sense of what they think and do. I don't ask are you happy? Thriving? Bitter? Disgruntled? But you cam get a pretty good sense of which they are, and map it to what their educational/communication background is.

So, you may think that everybody supports asl, and bi-bi ed, and that there are more deaf who use asl than spoken language--and its great that you live in such a supportive and asl-focused world. But thats not my experience, and its not representative of the deaf population ive encountered. In my case, as several other parents here have done, I'm bucking the trend, taking a minority approach.

Amazing avatar, btw.

Glad you like the avatar :)

I do live in a supportive and asl-focused life (personal life, not necessarily work life, but I think you get my drift). However, it wasn't always that way. My earlier years make me want to make a face I cannot express on here -- there is no icon for it! :) I suspect many others would want to use that same icon, too. I only hope you won't want to use that same icon later. That's what we're trying to say ...

Neither one. Again you fail to understand plain English. What I am saying is that you feel the need, and take every opportunity to play the victim yourself. "Keep piling it on me" is but one example.:roll:

Obviously, you failed to pick up the sarcasm in my post, as well. It's okay. I bet the deaf will grasp it immediately.

Oh my gosh, and all along I thought you were just being nice and trying to comfort me in my time of victimhood. Are you saying you were just being mean!? Crocodile tears and all? Ouch. I'm so hurt.

Grendel, The point of discussion was on whether spoken language could be achieved without CI and HA and whether CIs (in this case) actually did make a difference. (Im saying either way CIs don't make a difference when pertaining to acquiring the spoken language) This is the HA/CI forum, yet you swung it to be a discussion on oral-only and probing whether we d/Deaf segregate ourselves according to our experiences. An ploy at deflecting off an uncomfortable subject or just plain confusion for you.

Wirelessly posted

Beowulf said:
What exactly are you trying to pick apart here? Would you prefer that the primacy of oral education and spoken language remain in place for the deaf instead?

Do you really think that "eradicating what has been a historically oral majority in the deaf population -- via education, awareness, legislation, etc.." equals eradicating the deaf?

It depends upon presumptions. It is one to assume that the deaf majority are oral. It only seems that way because they are forced to be in certain situations.. When there is a large group of deaf together, I challenge you to find one who is oral. What is there to eradicate? There is no controversy among the deaf over this.

oh yes there is! At least the last two presidents of ag bell have been deaf since birth (don't know how many total). As i said, i know of several deaf and Deaf families who have implanted their children and sent them to oral schools. I know many deaf people who advocate for oral education. There is no consensus.

Grendel, The point of discussion was on whether spoken language could be achieved without CI and HA and whether CIs (in this case) actually did make a difference. (Im saying either way CIs don't make a difference when pertaining to acquiring the spoken language) This is the HA/CI forum, yet you swung it to be a discussion on oral-only and probing whether we d/Deaf segregate ourselves according to our experiences. An ploy at deflecting off an uncomfortable subject or just plain confusion for you.

No, if you look back, you'll see that I was not involved in the discussion of whether or not oral deaf or ASL deaf segregate themselves either. Nor was i a participant in discussing whether or not cis help in developing spoken language ( maybe you are thinking of a thread we shared a few months ago where that was a topic we differed on ). :wave:

Jillio: which deaf-I don't!

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Huh? What exactly do you have to do with the majority? Just because you don't doesn't mean that holds true for the majority. Hasn't that been told to you numerous times in this forum alone. Get off your egocentric high horse.

Grendel, Nice try, but I'm not the one confused here.

Oh my gosh, and all along I thought you were just being nice and trying to comfort me in my time of victimhood. Are you saying you were just being mean!? Crocodile tears and all? Ouch. I'm so hurt.

Again with the overly defensive sarcasm. You know, I'm familiar with a couple of good psychlogists on the Harvard campus that could help you with that.:cool2: If you are willing to be helped. From all indications, you have too much fear of being perceived negatively to ever let those defenses go.

Wirelessly posted

oh yes there is! At least the last two presidents of ag bell have been deaf since birth (don't know how many total). As i said, i know of several deaf and Deaf families who have implanted their children and sent them to oral schools. I know many deaf people who advocate for oral education. There is no consensus.

So? Two presidents of AGBAD being deaf since birth means virtually nothing. And it sure as hell isn't a majority of the presidents they have had since inception.:roll:

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
Yes, yes, yes. I've communicated with many well educated and well intentioned deaf who don't think that choosing ASL or a school for the deaf is the most appropriate approach for my daughter based on their "knowing more" and for longer. And yet, with plenty of information to the contrary, I choose otherwise. Claiming that you know more about what's right for my child doesn't make it so.

Sure you have.:roll:

Your choice. But please be as insistent upon your right to choose when you must also be responsible for the consequences of your choice.:cool2: Somehow, I don't ever see you accepting that responsibility.

and what "consequences" does she need to accept? Her child being bilingual in ASL and English....oh the horror!! :roll:

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
That top post there. You ignored what I was pointing out too.

I don't see anywhere where I said, "you are too stupid" nor do I see where stupidity was even implied, nor do I see that it was directed specifically at you. I was simply replying to your statement with clarification of the previous post made by BecLak.

except that you were wrong. She was clearly talking about spoken english, and in fact, came back and openly stated that.

where is your apology for saying that the rest of us "can't read" or were "twisting things"?

Wirelessly posted

and what "consequences" does she need to accept? Her child being bilingual in ASL and English....oh the horror!! :roll:

You are a hoot.:laugh2: Your posts are so absurd they don't even warrant a logical response.

Wirelessly posted

Oh why did we let the women out of their kitchen. Thats where they are supposed to be. Our country has went to the shitter since we allowed women to work.. Just take a look at that simpleton we call Palin...

I would go as far as spitting onto my monitor on camera and post it in this post, but don't feel like cleaning up the huge phlegm mass off the monitor tonight.

Oh why did we let the women out of their kitchen. Thats where they are supposed to be. Our country has went to the shitter since we allowed women to work.. Just take a look at that simpleton we call Palin...

I would go as far as spitting onto my monitor on camera and post it in this post, but don't feel like cleaning up the huge phlegm mass off the monitor tonight.

AndHereWeGo.gif

**wink wink**

Hmph. It is my personal opinion only - AGBell is the Antichrist. Just throwing that out in a random way.

(squeeek-squeeek as I wipe my monitor)

Wirelessly posted

except that you were wrong. She was clearly talking about spoken english, and in fact, came back and openly stated that.

where is your apology for saying that the rest of us "can't read" or were "twisting things"?

Do you mean "accept"? So much for not being able to read.:lol: Why would I apologize for something I have no regrets in saying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back