A Violation of Human Rights Re: Forcing A Deaf Child to Wear CI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wirelessly posted

yeah when you get rid of anyone who disagrees with you, things turn into what you want. That's why you are trying to get a ban for what you call audism, so you can silence everyone you don't like, including the deaf people who don't fall into line. It's crap. No, i won't leave. This isn't your site.

*shrug* its not my site. However take a look around, many agree with my statement regarding you.

? Ahh, no, that term is bandied about quite a bit. In fact, PFH set up a whole very active thread to discuss the topic. I didn't invent it.

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:
You state that you are anti-CI and ask me to categorize other posters I think are audist and anti-CI, even though I repeatedly say that if someone wants a label, he can provide one for himself, I won't do that? You ask me to define a term that you use to describe yourself, and get cranky when I don't define the way you want me to? Because I won't play your little game you throw your little pieces at me and claim it's "telling?" OK. I guess you've been told. I'll tell the others too: I'm not the one who sits upon a throne declaring "You're an audist! Off with your head!" and "You are opposed to CI's -- go stand in that corner!"
What thread? Audism? I am not the only one, thanks.

I am not ascribing anything. I am saying that it's no reason to be surprised that a parent is an audist even if that person have a deaf child. Do you read what I write before you post?

One have to question how it's possible to make an 'informed choice' with this kind of logic you show here.

True, I was not aware that it would be so difficult for you. I'll leave it be given that you have shifted from discussing the issue to just being insulting to me personally, a typical response when someone can't argue the merits of an issue.

Seriously, you seem hellbent on trying to convince me that Rick is an audist -- I don't know why you feel that's necessary. What do you care if I privately think Rick or PFH or Jillio or FJ are great gurus or a total jerks? Or if I happen to think all 4 are both at once. I'm just another kid's mom, who's been hanging around here for a few years, participating and trying to speak only to my own direct experience, to ingest others' learnings, and to not assume anything about others' lives. I happen to agree with nearly everything Jillio writes on this forum -- outside the realm of CIs. Would you say that makes us birds of a feather :laugh2: ? I might think both Rick and PFH can be reactor-level reactive, harsh, and unnecessarily mean, and that they probably regret losing their cool sometimes. Sometimes it pains me to see people gang up on an individual, and I feel the need to ask for a bit of restraint, a second thought before being cruel or thoughtless. Sometimes I'm cruel or thoughtless, too, and someone like Botti or LDNanna steps up and reminds me what civility is.

But misbehaving on a forum is not something that's going to permeate my daughter's community, sneak into her life and affect her. Letting misconceptions about what being deaf means -- whether it's letting audism ride unchecked or passing on errors about CIs -- will harm my child. And sometimes that's why I get involved in these contentious discussions. But I really don't give a crap what you think of me because I won't label our community members according to your Deaf dewey decimal system.

True, I was not aware that it would be so difficult for you. I'll leave it be given that you have shifted from discussing the issue to just being insulting to me personally, a typical response when someone can't argue the merits of an issue.

Seriously, you seem hellbent on trying to convince me that Rick is an audist -- I don't know why you feel that's necessary. What do you care if I privately think Rick or PFH or Jillio or FJ are great gurus or a total jerks? Or if I happen to think all 4 are both at once. I'm just another kid's mom, who's been hanging around here for a few years, participating and trying to speak only to my own direct experience, to ingest others' learnings, and to not assume anything about others' lives. I happen to agree with nearly everything Jillio writes on this forum -- outside the realm of CIs. Would you say that makes us birds of a feather :laugh2: ? I might think both Rick and PFH can be reactor-level reactive, harsh, and unnecessarily mean, and that they probably regret losing their cool sometimes. Sometimes it pains me to see people gang up on an individual, and I feel the need to ask for a bit of restraint, a second thought before being cruel or thoughtless. Sometimes I'm cruel or thoughtless, too, and someone like Botti or LDNanna steps up and reminds me what civility is.

But misbehaving on a forum is not something that's going to permeate my daughter's community, sneak into her life and affect her. Letting misconceptions about what being deaf means -- whether it's letting audism ride unchecked or passing on errors about CIs -- will harm my child. And sometimes that's why I get involved in these contentious discussions. But I really don't give a crap what you think of me because I won't label our community members according to your Deaf dewey decimal system.

:gpost:

I don't regret much. If I feel like a dick, I will be a dick. What is there to be regretful about?

What thread? Audism? I am not the only one, thanks.

Flip says I'm one of only 3 on this forum who has mentioned the term anti-CI on AD and doesn't like that I refuse to categorize people according to the term or define it differently than saying that if someone self-identifies as being against CIs (and not just in an individual case), I can respect that it's their position.

I referenced your is PFH anti-CI poll thread as just one place where that term has been used by others beyond just Flip and me +1.

Flip says I'm one of only 3 on this forum who has mentioned the term anti-CI on AD and doesn't like that I refuse to categorize people according to the term or define it differently than saying that if someone self-identifies as being against CIs (and not just in an individual case), I can respect that it's their position.

I referenced your is PFH anti-CI poll thread as just one place where that term has been used by others beyond just Flip and me +1.

I see where he's coming from though. Just because you don't act up on it it makes you seem you are supportive of the actions.

I see where he's coming from though. Just because you don't act up on it it makes you seem you are supportive of the actions.

I would speak up if someone makes an audist comment in a conversation I am part of. What I'm not going to do is go back into the 2003 threads or whenever it was that someone said Rick once made some audist comment -- if there was one -- and string him up for it now. 14 people telling me 'he's audist, he just is, you should have seen what he wrote in a post 7 years ago' and 'hundreds of thousands of deaf people say they had audist parents, therefore ... Rick is likely audist' and "hmmm, if you don't believe the pack, you must be a witch, too -- burn her! isn't going to make me join the hunt.

Rick's child is deaf. If he is audist, he believes that a deaf person is inherently inferior to a hearing person (or discriminates on that basis), and therefore he would believe his deaf daughter inferior to a hearing person. I asked Flip if there were any posts that indicate Rick believes his daughter to be inferior based on her hearing status -- Flip responded yes.

My child is not missing out on anything because of her hearing status. Your belief that all of us must feel a deaf child is necessarily "missing out" might be a bit of audism of your own, passed to you by others, coming out. Much as I wish I had grown up with an understanding of deafness, the ONE benefit of not being exposed to any awareness of Deaf Culture, of what it really means to be deaf, is that I was not inculcated with any of the negative perceptions of being deaf so many here on AD describe (shame, feeling of inadequacy passed on by others). I didn't have a preconceived notion of what 'being deaf' would mean for my daughter. And although I learn from others what their varied experiences have been (no one the same as another), I can apply lessons, but I know too that these can never be exactly the same as what my daughter's experience is.

Don't play games with me Grendel in 'placing the ball in my court' so to speak. I am referring to a very common question asked by hearing people in general. It is generally in the strain of questions first asked by a hearing person when they meet a deaf person. "But you can't hear music, you don't know what you are missing"; "But you can't hear birds, or the ocean etc etc....you don't know what you are missing" Usually followed by I feel so sorry for you....and so forth. I heard these questions constantly throughout my growing years. I was just asking you as a hearing person whether, even though you accept your daughter as deaf, whether at any time you too asked that question and if so, when did that question cease? I am truly hoping that you can get the essence of what I am querying here.

All I asked you about, is if Rick makes audist post, and you have replied, so will stop here and let you rebuild your smokescreen.

You've made other inconsistent claims, that I tried to understand. I don't know what it's with you, but I don't try to convince you of anything, like that Rick is an audist. You asked me what I was thinking, remember? You've asked me questions, that I honestly have tried to answer. I never wanted to tell you what's up with Rick. I suggest you to go back and reread your posts.

All I asked you about, is if Rick makes audist post, and you have replied, so will stop here and let you rebuild your smokescreen.

You've made other inconsistent claims, that I tried to understand. I don't know what it's with you, but I don't try to convince you of anything, like that Rick is an audist. You asked me what I was thinking, remember? You've asked me questions, that I honestly have tried to answer. I never wanted to tell you what's up with Rick. I suggest you to go back and reread your posts.

There's just no reasoning with difficult people.

Thinking a deaf child is inferior to his or her her hearing peers based on hearing ability is 'textbook' audism based on the many definitions here and elsewhere. Rick's daughter is deaf.

Saying again and again that he is an audist doesn't make it so. It just makes others who don't want to think for themselves believe it's so, without any facts to back it up, which is a real shame.

Nope. Sorry. That isn't the way it works.

You are correct...saying he is an audist over and over again doesn't make it so. His demonstrations of his audism over and over again are what make it so.:cool2: I find it odd that you would claim to be so involved with and receptive to the deaf/Deaf community, and yet defend the sort of audistic beliefs and remarks made my rick48. I'd be a bit more careful about guilt by association, if I were you.

Yes, I agree with that.

Still, no connection made. Why don't you all just weigh Rick, see how he compares to a duck and get this all over with.

My goodness, but the parents with audist belief systems seem to stick together like glue. Why must you make it an "us" vs. "them" thing? To defend rick48 just because he is a hearing parent who chose a CI only allows the audist beliefs that will have a negative effect on your own child to continue.

Wirelessly posted

listening is the receptive portion of spoken language. It is equally as important as the ability to speak itself. The language requires both receptive and expressive components.
if you don't value about spoken language then there is no reason to care about listening. If you do value it, listening (and receptive language) is as important as speech (and expressive language).

No, listening is not the only part of receptive language. More information is obtained through non-verbal communication (yes, even for the hearing) than is obtained by auditory information.

And again, you are confusing language with speech. Yet you claim not to be an audist.

Wirelessly posted

i just read that 87% of deaf kids are mainstreamed. We are clearly in the minority. Li-li is being raised bilingually (hense the deaf school placement, it has nothing to do with the success of her implants or her spoken language skills) and my child was very late implanted and had ZERO access to spoken english before age 5.

Please substantiate your percentage claim. If you just read it, it should be very easy for you to cite your source. It appears that you are fond of pulling numbers out of thin air in an attempt to support your distorted beliefs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back