frame.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 14
  • frame1.jpg
    frame1.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 11
  • frame2.jpg
    frame2.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 12
I recalled the customer brought his Dodge Caravan(Michigan license plate) in the shop for noisy front end. The service writer wrote a note on the repair order, "Check front suspension for rattle noises". I lifted the van, saw lot rusted body and suspension, nothing serious damaged or loosed around under the body, told a service writer there is nothing wrong with that. He said a customer complained the rattle sounds came from top of the front, he think loose hood or something. I opened a hood, was stunned to see the strut shock tower on the top near the hood hing on driver side, was popped out from the body, informed a service writer that this van is junk cuz of heavy rusted body and no repairable to capping the strut shock tower. He understand what his van is not worth to repair. First time in the shop.

A few years back. I saw while driving where someone had dealt with the rust by replacing parts with wood. The bed of the truck was missing. So you could see where they had cut the frame short and replaced it with 6x6s. I was like 'Only in Kentucky'. :shock:

Ive seen much worse rust than that. I once tried to repair a British Navy Land-Rover that had been used by the Royal Marines for repeated beach landing exercises. This involved driving the thing off a landing-craft through a metre of sea water and finally up onto a sandy beach. This car was only 6 years old but looked like 20!! The only thing holding the chassis together was the engine and body it was bolted to :)
It would have been more cost-effective to scrap the entire thing, but this vehicle was so well-loved by the squaddies that we ended up giving it a new chassis and bulkhead and putting it back into service.
On the other hand, I once had to scrap a Ford Sierra that I was going to happily weld up... finding a structural section of the car strong enough to weld to was a different story, the tin worm must have had a field day with that one!......

Back