A rant about hearing people!

My fmr audi was hoh and wore a very discreet CIC aid. I had no idea she was hoh until she told me. I knew she had a bit of a weird speech pattern but I thought it was because of her braces. (She was in her 30s and finally getting around to braces.)

She did mention to me once if I would ever consider going into Audiology, I didnt put much thought to it and said theres no way I could do that I need to hear in order to do that, then thats when she told me she was hoh and pulled out her aids to show me. I was amazed. Needless to say my foot was firmly inserted in my mouth at that point.

If I had the money and resources, I probably would consider it, but right now I just want to find something thats going to get me out of that chicken plant!

Why not take 1 class in Intro to Audiology and see if u like it and go from there?

Perhaps, but not sure if the local college offers it, but I'll have a look up in there online course catalog to see if I can take it as an elective for a science credit. Might be interesting though, its probably worth it even if I decide Audiology isnt for me.

I cannot believe the graduate schools ONLY want hearing people to become audiologists WHEN they ususally do not what life is like with a hearing loss. They don't know how frustrating it can when communicating orally with hearing people.

Imagine you are a hearing person with a deaf/hoh child. Would you rather a hearing audiologist or deaf/hoh audiologist? When a deaf/hoh audiologist can tell you about the frustration of living with a hearing loss.

... what?

What graduate schools make that kind of statement? I have looked into various grad & med programs for after I get my undergrad finished up. I have yet to see this! In all of the talks and emails I have had with the admissions staff at a few different schools, none have even mentioned anything remotely like that. Did you read this somewhere or experienced it first hand?

I have been going back and forth trying to choose a medical field that really appeals to me..the problem is not so much finding one.. but narrowing it down! But I know I would like to work in the otology field.. (neurotology, audiology, otolaryngology). But its a very long way from here to there..and who knows.. I may decide to scrap that idea and follow a completely different path.

... what?

What graduate schools make that kind of statement? I have looked into various grad & med programs for after I get my undergrad finished up. I have yet to see this! In all of the talks and emails I have had with the admissions staff at a few different schools, none have even mentioned anything remotely like that. Did you read this somewhere or experienced it first hand?

I have been going back and forth trying to choose a medical field that really appeals to me..the problem is not so much finding one.. but narrowing it down! But I know I would like to work in the otology field.. (neurotology, audiology, otolaryngology). But its a very long way from here to there..and who knows.. I may decide to scrap that idea and follow a completely different path.

A professor at school told me that a class called Phonetics WAS required for graduate school. When I emailed ASHA, I was told that the class was not required for graduate school in audiology.

This experience was very painful for me and I wish it could stay as a memory.

Last edited:
A professor at school told me that a class called Phonetics WAS required for graduate school

I think the professor may have been referring to a class to teach people about the nuances of phonetics.. I do not think you would have been graded on your speaking ability.. Otherwise that school would have the ACLU on them so fast it would make their head spin..

SJCsue, .. if you want to go to grad school.. DO IT! do not let anyone say you can't! or get in your way of achieving your goals! Find a few other schools.. narrow down your search to the one you like the best.. As a few people have said here.. Gally offers an audiology program, and if you check the matriculation rates on it there are a few deaf and HOH students attending it. I have been thinking of attending GU after Im all done here at Maryville.. but I'm keeping my options open..

I do not know about your history, but it is never to late to go back to school.. I decided late last year that I wanted to go back (I dropped out of high school soon after starting my freshman year over 10 years ago).. so I dropped everything I was doing.. and moved 900 miles away to attend a school that I really liked.. I have not looked back since..

Also.. once you DO get your Au.d or PHD .. you can go back to that professor with your degree in hand and shove it in his face.. Thats almost worth the price of admission alone !!

question?? what about the hearing test?? how they approach when you have to hear what they are say for the hearing test??

I don't see anything wrong with deaf audiologist as I think that's awesome.... I've seen one deaf student at my audiologist who was very informative to some hearing devices that the hearing audiologist didn't know about.. so there's pros and cons for everything... not just audiologists...

I think the professor may have been referring to a class to teach people about the nuances of phonetics.. I do not think you would have been graded on your speaking ability.. Otherwise that school would have the ACLU on them so fast it would make their head spin..

SJCsue, .. if you want to go to grad school.. DO IT! do not let anyone say you can't! or get in your way of achieving your goals! Find a few other schools.. narrow down your search to the one you like the best.. As a few people have said here.. Gally offers an audiology program, and if you check the matriculation rates on it there are a few deaf and HOH students attending it. I have been thinking of attending GU after Im all done here at Maryville.. but I'm keeping my options open..

I do not know about your history, but it is never to late to go back to school.. I decided late last year that I wanted to go back (I dropped out of high school soon after starting my freshman year over 10 years ago).. so I dropped everything I was doing.. and moved 900 miles away to attend a school that I really liked.. I have not looked back since..

Also.. once you DO get your Au.d or PHD .. you can go back to that professor with your degree in hand and shove it in his face.. Thats almost worth the price of admission alone !!

:gpost:

I don't think we should put all the blame on hearing audiologists, because it's not their fault that everyday in life becomes a struggle to communicate with hearing people, family, friends etc. You have to realized that it is frustrating for both hearing and deaf people, when some hearing people have no knowledge of sign language, is trying their hardest to communicate with deaf people, when the same thing we don't understanding them because we have to read their lips alone. Same thing applied to them when they are trying to understand us too by the way we speak. And yes it is very difficult, but that doesn't make it the audiologists fault.

There are hearing people out there that has no knowledge how to talk to a deaf person, never experience with any deaf before in their lifetime, Give them a chance, educated them. Learning takes time and practice. ;)

What make you think audiologists have no experience to understand hearing loss? They have appropriate degree, they have a job to test our hearing, and it's not their job to understand our needs when it comes to communicate with outside world. :)

I have never had a deaf audiologist before and boy, that sounds good to know that we can have a hard of hearing audiologists or deaf audiologists. As for the hearing audiologists, they don't really know much about deafness or the hearing loss. First of all, they should know about the Deaf Culture and be able to sign for the deaf who want to use the hearing aids and the audiogram test. That goes for them to use the tty to call deaf or hard of hearing people to make an appointments and reminders about the appointments. I have already said about that in the other forum which I made the thread for the Sign Language versus the Ear Implant. I made that comment about the audiologist when he came on the island from the mainland. He speak without the sign language, so I guess there were not many deaf people to communicate with him in sign. Also he is suppose to have a tty to remind or make any appointment, but he did not like the tty to use. He just refuse to use it. I think the school board or he, himself, should go back to school to understand how to work with deaf people. I am just crazy that I don't understand everything is going on in the mind of the hearing people when they are working with hearing loss person or deaf person or hard of hearing person. The hearing people in the audiologist program at the college, even in graduate school should be able to learn about us deaf. Maybe it is not important. Just go to audiologist school and learn how to work with this machine for sounds and testing for audiogram and just fix the hearing aids. But for the hard of hearing and deaf people who are interest in going into the field of audiologist program at college is great idea. SO go for it!!!!!! :cool:

I have never had a deaf audiologist before and boy, that sounds good to know that we can have a hard of hearing audiologists or deaf audiologists. As for the hearing audiologists, they don't really know much about deafness or the hearing loss. First of all, they should know about the Deaf Culture and be able to sign for the deaf who want to use the hearing aids and the audiogram test. That goes for them to use the tty to call deaf or hard of hearing people to make an appointments and reminders about the appointments. I have already said about that in the other forum which I made the thread for the Sign Language versus the Ear Implant. I made that comment about the audiologist when he came on the island from the mainland. He speak without the sign language, so I guess there were not many deaf people to communicate with him in sign. Also he is suppose to have a tty to remind or make any appointment, but he did not like the tty to use. He just refuse to use it. I think the school board or he, himself, should go back to school to understand how to work with deaf people. I am just crazy that I don't understand everything is going on in the mind of the hearing people when they are working with hearing loss person or deaf person or hard of hearing person. The hearing people in the audiologist program at the college, even in graduate school should be able to learn about us deaf. Maybe it is not important. Just go to audiologist school and learn how to work with this machine for sounds and testing for audiogram and just fix the hearing aids. But for the hard of hearing and deaf people who are interest in going into the field of audiologist program at college is great idea. SO go for it!!!!!! :cool:

:gpost::gpost: Audiologists serve the deaf/Deaf/HOH population, not the hearing population. They need to br able to communicate with and have an understanding of the unique needs of the population that pays their bills for them.

question?? what about the hearing test?? how they approach when you have to hear what they are say for the hearing test??

I don't see anything wrong with deaf audiologist as I think that's awesome.... I've seen one deaf student at my audiologist who was very informative to some hearing devices that the hearing audiologist didn't know about.. so there's pros and cons for everything... not just audiologists...

Hear what they say for the hearing test? there are ways of doing that without having to rely on one sense.. with the speech comprehension you can have an assistant perform that.. but as far as the pure tone testing.. you do not need to hear anything to do those tests... last audie booth I saw had a little button you pressed..

Back