A question on human mind, words and thinking

I'm not completely sure what you mean by "chatters" ....... I think my mind is always active when I'm awake, thinking about all sorts of possibilities, what I might do next, what I would do if I could but can't, what somebody else might be doing or thinking, etc. Let me know if I'm off on this.

They are the thoughts starts appearing by themselves. You can try it. Be alone in a room with nothing else to catch your attention around. Sit there without intentionally thinking anything or focusing on something. An average person's mind would not stay quiet and start thinking on something in less than a minute. This is like a common quality of human mind that it never wants to be silent.

-

They are the thoughts starts appearing by themselves. You can try it. Be alone in a room with nothing else to catch your attention around. Sit there without intentionally thinking anything or focusing on something. An average person's mind would not stay quiet and start thinking on something in less than a minute. This is like a common quality of human mind that it never wants to be silent.

-

If I understand that correctly, yes, my mind won't be still. I wouldn't want it to be. I'm always thinking of something, even when I'm in bed waiting to fall asleep.

I am not really sure about brain processes words and symbols same way. I dont think words are visual symbols in hearing people's minds. Lets try it together. Can you hear your voice in your head? Well not exactly your voice but I am sure you know what I mean. Now repeat the word beautiful. You do not see the letters "b" "e" "a" etc... We do not visualize the words as symbols. As you repeat it, you will hear it in your mind, like you are saying it to yourself but without using your actual voice. So please say it in your head, beautiful, beautiful..

Now lets say a rose symbolizes beautiful for you. Think of a rose , project the image of rose in your mind. But dont think the word "rose".. We are using the image of it now. Repeat it couple times. Every time you want to say beautiful to yourself imagine the rose.

Now can you tell me the first and the second experiments are exactly the same ?

Not to me. Yes every word represent something and a picture could take their place. But since I can hear, the spoken language is the first thing my brain starts recording as a baby with no effort. I , as I am conditioned to use spoken language in my mind, dont know how it would be otherwise. I am not sure its as easy as replacing words with pictures-symbols though. Specially what SimplyMints described.

She was more describing a situation, thoughts were appearing in her mind in a sense of motion picture. If I understood her correctly, she was not talking about different pictures as symbols come to mind one after another for creating an image-language. I find it interesting.

-

Yes, the brain processes words and symbols in the same way, because a word is nothing more than a symbol that represents the actual thing. The word "chair" is not a chair, but only a symbol that represents the thing. A picture, as well, is a symbol that represents a thing, a sign is a symbol that represents a thing, a smell is a symbol that represents a thing, and on and on.

Words are visual symbols in some people's minds. Many hearing people are visual learners, and actually see the symbol in their mind rather than hearing a spoken word, which is nothing more than another symbol used to represent something else, as would an auditory learner.

The "experiment" that you came up replaces the actual symbol with another concept. That is not the same thing. You may think a rose is beautiful, but the image of a rose is still symbolic of the actual living rose. The word "rose" is not a rose, but a symbol used to represent the actual living thing. The word "beautiful" is a symbol for the concept of what you actually believe to be beautiful.

Your first example might be representative of an auditory learner, but it is not necessarily representative of a visual learner.

I agree.

Um, I don't think I have an essay for this one
24.gif

:laugh2:

About "beautiful" -- that's actually made of my mind's concept of what beauty is to me, which is another one of those concepts that can't be described in terms of the physical world. I neither hear the word while thinking of the concept, nor do I see it printed or comprised of the letters it's spelled with.

A thought just occurred to me. I wonder if this is due to the fact that I was raised in an environment where I was exposed to several different languages equally, and my brain developed this way of thinking in order to cope with differentiating between these languages without one of them becoming "primary." By the way, by the time I was in 3rd grade, English became my one and only language, but though my vocabulary was still growing and my mind was learning to understand more complex concepts, these new concepts have never begun to take the form of the words used to describe them in speech or written form. That would seem to indicate that I only know the word and not its meaning, and I'm not saying I've memorised the definition from the dictionary, but I mean fully understand and internalise the meaning of the concept.

Let me give you an example. Since my brain can have multiple concepts that would be connected to a single word, here's one of those. If I were wandering some region I've never been before and happened across a pony, a real one, perhaps behind a fence I was walking by, I'd go up to the fence and look at the animal. There is no sign anywhere, and no people to ask what it is. But if I wanted to say what that was, I would say, "That's a pony." However, if somebody said to me the word "pony" without context, my first thought would be of the concept of a character from Hasbro's My Little Pony. I often make the conscious decision to switch to the other (real) "pony" concept because odds are, this person who said this word to me isn't thinking about My Little Pony.

By the way, these two concepts which go by the same name are in my mind completely separate and unrelated. Rainbow Dash has very little in common with the pony living in the pasture across the road from my house. It's as though in one's world, the other doesn't exist.

:gpost: A great explanation on the symbolic nature of language.

The word "chair" is not a chair, but only a symbol that represents the thing. A picture, as well, is a symbol that represents a thing, a sign is a symbol that represents a thing, a smell is a symbol that represents a thing, and on and on.

I think everybody can agree on word chair is not a real chair. :)

The original question was if mind develops its own way of thinking when there was no language learned, either spoken or visual. Somebody can develop a visual language and you can learn it, but its still a form of language you learn from outside. And hearing babies learn language with no effort. Unless you isolate the baby completely from the world, baby will learn what he hears and develop a way of thinking before he goes to school and starts learning literature.

So the main question is not if there can be a visual language, but what happens in the absence of the language we are used to use. For example if I work on the method SimplyMints described and get so used to it and start thinking in it, then I will be back where I started, I will end up replacing my current method of thinking with another method. But because it is so unusual for me right now, when I try doing it the way she describes, it throws my mind out of its usual pattern. And I observe what is happening there. Something that would make me angry when I think about it, doesnt give me the same emotion when I try using her method. I try creating images in my mind and they lead me to new images but those new images doesnt mean anything to me at the moment (so they do not symbolize anything for me yet) and I do not know how to respond to them emotionally.

I will try to explain further.. Every word has many logical connections to other related words in my mind. Its an automatic process. For example if you call me stupid, I react to you. My mind links "I (ego)" with the concept of being stupid and links them to concept of you are attacking me and connects it to emotion getting angry or irritated etc.. Now I try same thing using pictures. I read you calling me stupid and I try imagining myself as a stupid person. No its not connected to idea of you are attacking me at this time. My logic, perhaps because its not used to it, doesnt follow the same path. It actually stops at that image.

Now let me try changing the image in my mind. I imagine you are trying to make me stupid in my mind. First thing comes to my mind is you are moving my brain out. Its actually a quite funny scene and doesnt feel like you are attacking me, or humiliating me. I think I should work on it more and tell you how it goes. Right now I am trying to simulate it in my mind. I should use it in real situations to see how I react to it.

What is your method of thinking?

-

The original question was if mind develops its own way of thinking when there was no language learned, either spoken or visual. Somebody can develop a visual language and you can learn it, but its still a form of language you learn from outside. And hearing babies learn language with no effort. Unless you isolate the baby completely from the world, baby will learn what he hears and develop a way of thinking before he goes to school and starts learning literature.

So the main question is not if there can be a visual language, but what happens in the absence of the language we are used to use. For example if I work on the method SimplyMints described and get so used to it and start thinking in it, then I will be back where I started, I will end up replacing my current method of thinking with another method. But because it is so unusual for me right now, when I try doing it the way she describes, it throws my mind out of its usual pattern. And I observe what is happening there. Something that would make me angry when I think about it, doesnt give me the same emotion when I try using her method. I try creating images in my mind and they lead me to new images but those new images doesnt mean anything to me at the moment (so they do not symbolize anything for me yet) and I do not know how to respond to them emotionally.

I will try to explain further.. Every word has many logical connections to other related words in my mind. Its an automatic process. For example if you call me stupid, I react to you. My mind links "I (ego)" with the concept of being stupid and links them to concept of you are attacking me and connects it to emotion getting angry or irritated etc.. Now I try same thing using pictures. I read you calling me stupid and I try imagining myself as a stupid person. No its not connected to idea of you are attacking me at this time. My logic, perhaps because its not used to it, doesnt follow the same path. It actually stops at that image.

Now let me try changing the image in my mind. I imagine you are trying to make me stupid in my mind. First thing comes to my mind is you are moving my brain out. Its actually a quite funny scene and doesnt feel like you are attacking me, or humiliating me. I think I should work on it more and tell you how it goes. Right now I am trying to simulate it in my mind. I should use it in real situations to see how I react to it.

-

If you are referring to my learning style, I am a visual learner. And you are still not accounting for the fact that words, signs, or pictures are still merely symbols used to refer to the actual thing in abstract or absence. A symbol is a symbol. All serve the same purpose. To represent that which is not there, or that which is being referred to in the abstract. It doesn't matter if you recall the thing using a pciture symbol or a word symbol. You are still recalling that which is no longer in your immediate experience. You are using a symbol.

If you are referring to my learning style, I am a visual learner. And you are still not accounting for the fact that words, signs, or pictures are still merely symbols used to refer to the actual thing in abstract or absence. A symbol is a symbol. All serve the same purpose. To represent that which is not there, or that which is being referred to in the abstract. It doesn't matter if you recall the thing using a pciture symbol or a word symbol. You are still recalling that which is no longer in your immediate experience. You are using a symbol.

At the end no matter what we think thoughts are always abstract. So I am not sure what you mean when you say I do not account it, since it can not be otherwise. But our minds build its logic using a certain method. To me its words, SimplyMint said its images for her. If I am used to thinking in words , it does matter to me when I try thinking in images. Trying to think in a way she described throws my logic off track. So my logic, no matter how sharp it is just a conditioning. Those words and concepts are linked to each other in a certain way in my mind. The images I try to replace them with, do not create the same meanings for me. Discussing it here gives new ideas on how I (we) can observe this conditioning created by symbols. Its quite fascinating.

But yes there is no need to keep repeating same thing. Thoughts are abstract, its already accounted.

-

-

The concepts inside my mind are fluid, and are affected by other concepts similar to the way nouns are affected by every other word type in a sentence. The way it's different is the main concept (the noun) is merged with the secondary concepts to change it. They aren't added to each other, but they become one. For example, if I have a concept of a lake, and I read a passage talking about ripples on the lake, the concept of ripples doesn't attach itself to lake, but the concept of lake in this instance is altered so that the ripples are part of the same concept. Therefore, if the wind picks up causing the ripples to become choppier, that again alters the concept of lake, not ripples. The concept of ripples won't reappear until I choose to focus specifically on a ripple, where I see other concepts that affect it, such as eddies, wind, current, water temperature, lunar gravity, etc. Everything I've ever learned in life affects how these concepts are presented in my mind. As a result, if I were able to impart to you the precise concept directly into your mind exactly as it is in my mind, it would be ambiguous at best to you. Each concept is 100% fluidly influenced by every experience I've ever had. When the lake with ripples concept is being formed, and when the choppy lake concept is being modified, I'll see these new concepts as they approach to meld with the lake concept, and they'll remind me of past experiences that I've had with ripples and choppy lakes. I'll see images of my younger self in these memories, and I'll see the people who are with me. I can let my mind wander, and I might turn my attention to these people and see other events when I was with these same people, other things they've done. Perhaps they've died. I'll see their funeral, their grave, perhaps I'll see what I was doing when I learned they were dead. Perhaps the concept of death will remind me of others who have died, and my focus will turn to them. Then, I'll remember I used to chat on a forum with them. Then, the concept of forum will remind me that I'm typing on a forum right now, and I'd probably better move on from this concept lest I bore my audience, if it isn't already too late.

My point is, your mind is taking the concepts in whatever form of representation it has come up with, and it's interpreting them by linking them in a network. This concept makes sense to me, and I now understand how you would not be overwhelmed by this because your brain has learned to recognise larger more complex concepts by the shape of the network of smaller conceptual symbols. If you were to take the concepts my mind uses and replace them with the ones you use, I think there would be few if any direct replacements, and your network would not work. Similarly, if I were to dump the concepts from your mind into my mind, what my mind would identify as the primary concepts from your mind wouldn't meld with the secondary concepts. It would try to take two concepts and meld them, and they would just sit next to each other with a singular link between them. That's what they were designed to do. Because my mind doesn't have that network that's in your mind, it wouldn't know what to do with this pair of concepts. It wouldn't know to back up and look at the shape of the network. Even if it did, it wouldn't know what the shape of the network represented, and the logic would cease, similar to the trouble you've described having by using visual symbols. Of course, we could retrain our minds, but that requires .. in computer terms, it would be like writing an entire state of the art unique operating system from scratch, which could take years. Though my mind understands this network of "word" symbols that is in your mind, and though I can even follow the flow of logic that would make it function, my understanding of your word network is still just a concept in my mind running under my mind's operating system, and manipulating it would be slow and clunky, and would take a lot of conscious effort. My mind devotes its resources to forming these fluid intermelding concepts the same way your mind devotes its resources to linking word concepts and recognising patterns on that network. I liken it to the way one computer operating system might have code that prioritises system resources to make great fluid graphics. Another operating system might prioritise its resources to always have active links between all of its files, and have massive catalogues on a live search feature that allows you to get instant search results when searching for a file that has been catalogued. If you ask a computer running a live search, like Windows Vista, to run a graphics intensive program over an OS emulator, the graphics will be very clunky and slow. If you ask a graphics-devoted computer (search catalogues disabled in order to free up memory for graphics) to search for a specific file, it will take several minutes to accomplish what could have otherwise been instantaneous had the file been catalogued and stored in a live search subroutine. We can't shut down and run our minds on these new concepts we've created of each other's modes of thinking. It's probably a good thing too because these concepts are no doubt incomplete, and would lead to a crash.

Let's see, the "stupid" concept. If you were to call me "stupid" .... that creates a concept of me and melds it with my concept of "stupid" and compares it with my own concept of me. Each concept is sort of a ball with peeks and valleys all over it, so they get together and roll around on each other and see if they fit together. Since I don't believe I'm stupid, these two concepts of "me" and "meStupid" don't fit together, and that encompasses them into a new concept of "disagree" ----- these words don't appear. I'm just using them to try to communicate more efficiently because this post is getting really long. I'm sure I've already explained the "imagery" involved in my mind's concepts.

I have in my past experienced a change in the way my mind works, so I believe I now have a pretty good idea of three ways minds can organise and function efficiently. I think that how ever our minds work at any given moment, we'll automatically like it the best because we don't choose to operate our minds this way. Our minds are running this way automatically, and that's what we like about it. I could go on, but I fear I'm not saying anything useful, and perhaps I'm not even making any sense. Or I'm doing nothing more than making a fool of myself.

I think my mind is doing a major clean-up operation over these past few months in order to function more efficiently due to the fact that it no longer has to distinguish, process, and recognise various sounds. I've got all these extra concepts floating around that are never used because they're only purpose is to identify sounds that my ears pick up, but my ears don't pick up any sounds now. This is making me a little unstable temporarily, and it may lead to yet another way of thinking. I like my current way of thinking the best, but I know that if it changes, whatever it changes too, I'll like that way the best.

Hmm, I know I talk too much. Only time will tell if that will change any time soon. :giggle:

If you were to take the concepts my mind uses and replace them with the ones you use, I think there would be few if any direct replacements, and your network would not work. Similarly, if I were to dump the concepts from your mind into my mind, what my mind would identify as the primary concepts from your mind wouldn't meld with the secondary concepts. It would try to take two concepts and meld them, and they would just sit next to each other with a singular link between them. That's what they were designed to do. Because my mind doesn't have that network that's in your mind, it wouldn't know what to do with this pair of concepts. It wouldn't know to back up and look at the shape of the network. Even if it did, it wouldn't know what the shape of the network represented, and the logic would cease, similar to the trouble you've described having by using visual symbols.

Yes thats probably what happens. As we talk further , I find it useful for observing how human mind is conditioned. It is more difficult to examine while you are using your usual way of thinking. Its so fast, so automatic, we dont usually see how those links are created. You know the saying "think out of the box", well we cant think out of the box because we are the box. Thats whole conditioning, whole structure of logic is the box. The way we think is the box and now we want to think out of the box. I am reading what you are saying, and some other posts and get a new perspective. Thats good, that helps ..

We can't shut down and run our minds on these new concepts we've created of each other's modes of thinking. It's probably a good thing too because these concepts are no doubt incomplete, and would lead to a crash.

I dont think a mind can be led to crash. :) Yes, the brain looks like a computer but the difference is incredible. The brain doesnt depend on a set of commands that would lead to an error if they are misused. Unless there is a neurological problem the brain always adapts the new given conditions. You described really well how it adepts your lost of hearing as a new condition in your last paragraph.

Our minds are running this way automatically, and that's what we like about it. I could go on, but I fear I'm not saying anything useful, and perhaps I'm not even making any sense. Or I'm doing nothing more than making a fool of myself.

No , write all you want please.. There is no right or wrong, we are just sharing the experiences. I dont think you can make fool of yourself in this.

-

Yes thats probably what happens. As we talk further , I find it useful for observing how human mind is conditioned. It is more difficult to examine while you are using your usual way of thinking. Its so fast, so automatic, we dont usually see how those links are created. You know the saying "think out of the box", well we cant think out of the box because we are the box. Thats whole conditioning, whole structure of logic is the box. The way we think is the box and now we want to think out of the box. I am reading what you are saying, and some other posts and get a new perspective. Thats good, that helps ..

I dont think a mind can be led to crash. :) Yes, the brain looks like a computer but the difference is incredible. The brain doesnt depend on a set of commands that would lead to an error if they are misused. Unless there is a neurological problem the brain always adapts the new given conditions. You described really well how it adepts your lost of hearing as a new condition in your last paragraph.

No , write all you want please.. There is no right or wrong, we are just sharing the experiences. I dont think you can make fool of yourself in this.

-

Believe me, the mind can crash. I've seen it happen. It's commonly known as a mental breakdown, and unlike the common use of the term, it's a very serious condition that takes years of psychological counselling to cure. My dad suffered a mental breakdown in the early 90s and is still recovering from it.

Also, I'm not trying to equate the brain to a computer. I'm just using the computer as an analogy for the purpose of getting my point across. I don't mean to say the brain works like a computer or vice versa, but it does make a good comparison, I think.

Believe me, the mind can crash. I've seen it happen. It's commonly known as a mental breakdown, and unlike the common use of the term, it's a very serious condition that takes years of psychological counselling to cure. My dad suffered a mental breakdown in the early 90s and is still recovering from it.

I dont see it as a crash. It still does what its supposed to do. Show you your limits, the things you refuse to deal with. The counseling helps you to face with yourself. So I dont see it as a malfunction.

But yes , you also can look at it as a crash. Then it will take longer to change the condition. Because the mind which needs to fix itself is already the mind which is malfunctioning (in this concept). The counselor outside is only trying to guide you. He can not fix it for you.

You and I have different concepts on the matter, but as you see these concepts are still the products of the mind.

-

I dont see it as a crash. It still does what its supposed to do. Show you your limits, the things you refuse to deal with. The counseling helps you to face with yourself. So I dont see it as a malfunction.

But yes , you also can look at it as a crash. Then it will take longer to change the condition. Because the mind which needs to fix itself is already the mind which is malfunctioning (in this concept). The counselor outside is only trying to guide you. He can not fix it for you.

You and I have different concepts on the matter, but as you see these concepts are still the products of the mind.

-

The concept of the mental breakdown is what I meant by crash. You can ignore any other concept I might have accidentally portrayed for it. You might also see it differently if it was somebody close to you who had a mental breakdown like the one my dad had. This illustrates how our own personal concepts are influenced by our own experiences. Languages aren't formed from dictionaries as much as dictionaries are written to reflect languages.

People who use dictionaries to prove the meaning of a word are looking in the wrong place. Language is what we make it, and it evolves faster than dictionaries. I'm not accusing you of that. There's another thread where people are doing that. I just think it's silly.

We can't shut down and run our minds on these new concepts we've created of each other's modes of thinking. It's probably a good thing too because these concepts are no doubt incomplete, and would lead to a crash.

The concept of the mental breakdown is what I meant by crash. You can ignore any other concept I might have accidentally portrayed for it.

May I use this as an example ? It will show you how the thought evolves, also creates the confusion. It probably works exactly the same way if you and I were not making a conversation and just thinking it in our own minds.

First you were talking about running concepts we have created of each others modes of thinking, and possibility of a crash in that case. I responded to that, I said I believed it can not lead to such a thing (I also still think I will not have a trauma from trying your method of thinking). Then you read my response and answered the part I said mind can not crash. Of course you moved it to a new context in your answer. Then I read that and defended my position from my previous statement but now in this new context (I still dont see mental breakdowns as malfunction, we can discuss it seperately , but notice that I also was defending my logical position which was coming from my previous post) . Then you said the concept of mental breakdown is what you meant by crash, although where we started had nothing to do with people having mental breakdown. We were talking about each others methods of thinking. So you also ended up somewhere that has got nothing to do with our original point, in order to protect your own path of logic.

You see how it works? We only respond to each other partially and the context always keep changing even under the same topic. Thats also how we think and respond. Perhaps thats why we are (as people) so confused all the time :)

-

May I use this as an example ? It will show you how the thought evolves, also creates the confusion. It probably works exactly the same way if you and I were not making a conversation and just thinking it in our own minds.

First you were talking about running concepts we have created of each others modes of thinking, and possibility of a crash in that case. I responded to that, I said I believed it can not lead to such a thing (I also still think I will not have a trauma from trying your method of thinking). Then you read my response and answered the part I said mind can not crash. Of course you moved it to a new context in your answer. Then I read that and defended my position from my previous statement but now in this new context (I still dont see mental breakdowns as malfunction, we can discuss it seperately , but notice that I also was defending my logical position which was coming from my previous post) . Then you said the concept of mental breakdown is what you meant by crash, although where we started had nothing to do with people having mental breakdown. We were talking about each others methods of thinking. So you also ended up somewhere that has got nothing to do with our original point, in order to protect your own path of logic.

You see how it works? We only respond to each other partially and the context always keep changing even under the same topic. Thats also how we think and respond. Perhaps thats why we are (as people) so confused all the time :)

-

I don't mean to confuse you or show a change of position. I didn't mean that if tried my way of thinking that it would cause you to have a mental breakdown. What I meant was if we altogether quit our own way of thinking and were somehow able to try each other's way exclusively, unable to fall back on our own way of thinking .. it's a theoretical impossibility anyway, so there's probably no sense in dwelling on it. I was just making a joke. I didn't mean anything by it.

About the mental breakdown appearing to be a malfunction, I think that really comes from experience, and I don't think I could impart that to you. Again, it's just the way I see it. It's just part of my concept of a mental breakdown which largely includes the behaviour of my dad when he had his, and how he appeared during his experience. These things have helped form my personal concept of a mental breakdown. Every individual with unique experiences will have formed a unique concept of it, and it doesn't mean one is right and another is wrong. It's merely the unique way we all identify each concept.

I'm not trying to attack you or change your mind or confuse you or defend my definition. I'm just trying to explain what it means to me, in my mind personally, and I acknowledge that every person will have a position that differs from mine as it differs between each of them as well. I'm sorry my crack about the crash lead us off track. I guess I took my analogy a little bit too far on that one.

I'm not trying to attack you or change your mind or confuse you or defend my definition. I'm just trying to explain what it means to me, in my mind personally, and I acknowledge that every person will have a position that differs from mine as it differs between each of them as well. I'm sorry my crack about the crash lead us off track. I guess I took my analogy a little bit too far on that one.

I know you are not attacking me , nor I am confused. Did I sounded I was upset? But I even added a smiley at the end of my post :)

I think people partially listen to each other. I was identifying it in both of our responses. We (not just you and I but almost all people) look at the keywords. We already have a response to those keywords while we are even still reading (or listening). What we are basically doing is throwing each other the concepts we already have in our minds based on these keywords. We call it communication but its more like reading from a pre-written text. We both read our parts.

I dont think this is going off track. I think this is related to how our thoughts are formed and minds are functioning.

-

A beauiful Mind

I can still smell my mom's perfume, the taste of my grandma's cook and the voice of my father's laughter and the musics in my ears. I was 3-4 years old at that time before I went sick and became deaf. It's no wonder how the state of minds works and how we remember those memories. We can heard voices and words in our minds before we talk. If you don't understand the meaning of state of mind and wonder if our mind is playing trick on you. Go and watch "A Beauiful Mind" Hallucinations and illusions also comes from the state of mind

I know you are not attacking me , nor I am confused. Did I sounded I was upset? But I even added a smiley at the end of my post :)

I think people partially listen to each other. I was identifying it in both of our responses. We (not just you and I but almost all people) look at the keywords. We already have a response to those keywords while we are even still reading (or listening). What we are basically doing is throwing each other the concepts we already have in our minds based on these keywords. We call it communication but its more like reading from a pre-written text. We both read our parts.

I dont think this is going off track. I think this is related to how our thoughts are formed and minds are functioning.

-

Yea, that is a habit I am trying to break here. :giggle:

I think we understand each other, but are just getting mixed up with words.

This has been an interesting discussion, and I'm glad to have learned how it could be possible to think with words as representations of concepts directly interpretable to interactive human language. I was thinking of like paragraphs and sentences and stuff, like if you were looking for your car in a parking lot full of other cars, up would come all this detail like a text description of your car in every detail, a text string ticking by telling the approximate location where you remember parking, etc. That would be exhausting to keep up with! :giggle:

I think we understand each other, but are just getting mixed up with words.

This has been an interesting discussion, and I'm glad to have learned how it could be possible to think with words as representations of concepts directly interpretable to interactive human language. I was thinking of like paragraphs and sentences and stuff, like if you were looking for your car in a parking lot full of other cars, up would come all this detail like a text description of your car in every detail, a text string ticking by telling the approximate location where you remember parking, etc. That would be exhausting to keep up with! :giggle:

Its just like while you are writing. Words just come to you and your fingers type them right? Do the same thing but without typing this time. Its actually easier for you to do this than me trying to visualize my thoughts. You already have a great command on written language which is based on words.

No its not like paragraphs :) You already know your car. I dont think about its description or visualize it. Its already in my subconscious , I know what I am looking for without consciously thinking. Though if I parked it a specific lot, where I know its number.. I keep it in my and remember it again while looking for the car , like A34 .

I think most of the things we deal in daily life , we deal with them at a subconscious level. We dont really think about many things while we do them. You are right , otherwise would be exhausting. :)

-

Last edited:
Back