A QUESTION FOR ASL LEARNERS

Anne_Rivas

Reaction score
why do you want to study SIGN LANGUAGE?

Because I’m losing my hearing and want more ways to be able to communicate with people.

I've always had an interest in ASL! I remember trying to teach the ASL alphabet to a friend in summer camp who had become blind at a young age. I then, years later, had a hard-of-hearing friend in class who taught me a few signs. A couple of years later, I had an English assignment to teach our class something that we thought was important. I got to teach the class a few signs and the structure of ASL. After being scolded by my parents, I put ASL training off until I started college 20+ years later. I learned about the college's ASL club and haven't stopped my training since! It took an additional three years and a degree change to be formally trained in ASL. I have taken ASL 1 and 2 and look forward to taking ASL 3 in the Fall. I am currently taking a Deaf Studies course at my college and feel very comfortable! I love learning about the Deaf community!

After two years of Sign Language and ASL Interpreting courses, my mindset has changed from helping deaf people to helping hearing people and advocating for deaf people in hearing culture.

Back