A question about CC in DTV converter boxes

jactree

Reaction score
Hi everybody!

Have anyone tried a new DTV converter box and tested its closed captioning? What brands of boxes that provide best & clear closed captioning?

A friend of mine bought the DishPal box, and its CC was too small to see and its text color is yellow instead of white.

I have coupons that will expire next month.

Thanks!!

Hi everybody!

Have anyone tried a new DTV converter box and tested its closed captioning? What brands of boxes that provide best & clear closed captioning?

A friend of mine bought the DishPal box, and its CC was too small to see and its text color is yellow instead of white.

I have coupons that will expire next month.

Thanks!!

It's possible to get large captions from the Insignia and Zenith converter boxes (available from Best Buy and Radio Shack), and those boxes seem to be better designed overall than many of the other converter boxes: they're more sensitive, they hold channels better, and they allow you to add channels manually.

Colors of the captions can be changed, so if you don't like yellow, you can change the text color to white or black, and change the background color, too. Be sure to explore EVERYTHING on the caption menu carefully----a lot of people make hasty assumptions and don't choose the correct settings, ending up with bad caption settings because they didn't know they could have chosen better ones.

Quite a few converter boxes do have small captions even when set to large; that's true of the DigitalStream and ChannelMaster (which has S-video, which is best for picture quality). You *can* use the captions on your analog TV instead if you like those.

I don't remember the brand but my friend has a 46" plasma HDTV and the captions work fine with the DTV converter box.

I tried my CC on the RCA box...either I have no clue about the settings or it sucks..The print is small and pink..I guess I should play around with it a bit..but that's my two cents

That's sad I hope that DTV convertible box provider CC or that's :bsflag:

I don't remember the brand but my friend has a 46" plasma HDTV and the captions work fine with the DTV converter box.

you said your friend has HDTV and also have a DTV converter right? why have both when the HDTV already have "digital tuner" and a DTV converter is not needed. see CSD: DTV Transition for more details

No sense...
Why your friend 's DTV Converter Box hook up with HDTV? That's waste money!!!
DTV Converter Box is good for older TV which does not have built-in ATSC (Digital Tuner)

We have 4 HDTV sets (3 at home and 1 at my son's college). Not require to use DTV Converter Box.

After 2006, HDTV has built in ATSC (digital tuner) and NTSC (analog).
Before 2004, not many HDTV had built in ATSC.

Anyone bought HDTV before by 2004 or some 2005 or 2006 without built-in ATSC or digital tuner.
My suggest.... check at Seeing is Believing
Today, they do not sell much HDTV decoder

as FCC, they already make clear that every digital tuner are required to come with digital CC that allow to custom color, font style and three size.

Last years model LG brand, I remember the name now.

No sense...
Why your friend 's DTV Converter Box hook up with HDTV? That's waste money!!!
DTV Converter Box is good for older TV which does not have built-in ATSC (Digital Tuner)

We have 4 HDTV sets (3 at home and 1 at my son's college). Not require to use DTV Converter Box.

After 2006, HDTV has built in ATSC (digital tuner) and NTSC (analog).
Before 2004, not many HDTV had built in ATSC.

Anyone bought HDTV before by 2004 or some 2005 or 2006 without built-in ATSC or digital tuner.
My suggest.... check at Seeing is Believing
Today, they do not sell much HDTV decoder

Yup, I was puzzling at his post but it's his friend business.

I have 2 DTV boxes but I hate the CC on them because the CC are docked to the lower left side of the screen instead of in the center like it normally should be. The CC being docked to the left distracts me from the whole TV picture big time! Is there anyway I can do to adjust the placement of the CC? I want it back in the center bottom like it used to be!

Back