A Poem for Bugg

GrammyAlaine

Reaction score
I wrote this for my grandson after people (Adults) called him retarded because he talked with his hands. My daughter was very upset so I wrote this for him. It's not the best but it was all I had. I hope it doesn't offend anyone. If it does I apologize in advance. This is not my intention to hurt or offend anyone. God Bless those he made special.

Do You Know This Child?

He's a child who cannot hear,
He speak with my hands,
He lives next door or even down the street,
He's healthy and happy,
He can feel your pain or feel your joy,
He is but...a little boy.
He's not retarded or stupid or slow,
He is three years old and want you to know
He can ride a bike and read a book,
He knows how you feel by your look,
He don't care how your dress,
He don't care if your a mess,
He has a big heart that's full of love,
He's the child you make fun of,
He's a child with real feelings,
His life has real meaning,
He's a child, a human being.
So put yourself in his place.
Tell me... Isn't hurting a child a disgrace?

Copyright ©2008 Alaine Watson

Me - always rushing in where angels fear to tread.

I guess he must be the first person with differences in your family?

It won't really get better as he gets older, so you might as well all toughen up.

I am 51 and I have survived all this for a lifetime.

At alldeaf I am really here for fun.,

Your poem communicates what you want to tell really well. I value it when a poem has a real meaning in it. I liked yours. I do not think you are saying anything to offend anyone. Its just beautiful words and feelings.

Kudos
Hermes

Your poem communicates what you want to tell really well. I value it when a poem has a real meaning in it. I liked yours. I do not think you are saying anything to offend anyone. Its just beautiful words and feelings.

Kudos
Hermes
Thank you. I just thought I would share a little bit of me. I hope it will let some here understand that not all of us who can hear are mean. We are all individuals and have our own opinions. But we need to respect each other and their opinion. Life is too short to hold grudges. I wish people could just see the person and not their differences. It would make a better world then. I know I am dreaming, but I have hope....God Bless all.

Me - always rushing in where angels fear to tread.

I guess he must be the first person with differences in your family?

It won't really get better as he gets older, so you might as well all toughen up.

I am 51 and I have survived all this for a lifetime.

At alldeaf I am really here for fun.,
Not really, He is the first one to be ridiculed in public. He is now 7 1/2 years old and has made a big difference in our area. People are a little more respectful to those who are different. It was just a shock for us to deal with him being deaf in the beginning. We blamed ourself and then others and then finally except the journey we were meant to walk. I was raised to look at what was on the inside of a person. I am so sorry you had to deal with all the nasty people out there. But please believe me when I say I understand and would never do or say anything to hurt anyone here. I admire those who are different from me. They all have something to teach us. We need to be open to learning from them.

Thank you. I just thought I would share a little bit of me. I hope it will let some here understand that not all of us who can hear are mean. We are all individuals and have our own opinions. But we need to respect each other and their opinion. Life is too short to hold grudges. I wish people could just see the person and not their differences. It would ma

ke a better world then. I know I am dreaming, but I have hope....God Bless all.

We all know not all hearing are mean.

You don't know that this is something your grandson will face daily for the rest of his life.

Pretty sentiments won't change it.

He will have to live with it and it is not fun.

The Pennsylvania School for the Deaf

Here is a link for something in your area. If you want to make a difference for your grandson, get involved doing something in real life.

Not really, He is the first one to be ridiculed in public. He is now 7 1/2 years old and has made a big difference in our area. People are a little more respectful to those who are different. It was just a shock for us to deal with him being deaf in the beginning. We blamed ourself and then others and then finally except the journey we were meant to walk. I was raised to look at what was on the inside of a person. I am so sorry you had to deal with all the nasty people out there. But please believe me when I say I understand and would never do or say anything to hurt anyone here. I admire those who are different from me. They all have something to teach us. We need to be open to learning from them.

And obviously, I must be having a bad day, but I would rather be thought of as just regular and not someone to be admired for people being able to learn from my differences. (beginning to foam at the mouth)

Hrammy A

I think the poem is awesome. As your grandson grows he will be faced with more challenges he will learn to know that their are ignorant people and good people. And I have learned that as well.

Ignorance is the main reason people discriminate. Because they fear or do not understand.

The poem has a lot of meaning to it.

I wish your grandson the best. Because not all people are mean.

Your poem is just beautiful! I wish your grandson much success. He is lucky to have you in his life. :)

GrammyAlaine, this is the most beautiful poem. He will read your poem and will be impress with your feeling for him. Like all the Deaf ADers, He will face ignorant people who probably have never met a Deaf person or does not understand his hearing loss or deafness. We, Deafies, have to go through with that and we try to teach them our deafness and why it is important to have ASL more than anything in the world. God praise you for being there for your grandson. May you walk in beauty and so are all of your family. :thumb:

Awww...your poem is so wonderful! He is so lucky because my grandmother still pities my deaf brother and I even though we are both leading successful and independent lives. She doesnt take us seriously like she does with her other grandkids. We are "oooh those poor grandkids who are disabled." It really sucks cuz it hurted any chances for us to be close to her.

:hug:

We all know not all hearing are mean.

You don't know that this is something your grandson will face daily for the rest of his life.

Pretty sentiments won't change it.

He will have to live with it and it is not fun.

The Pennsylvania School for the Deaf

Here is a link for something in your area. If you want to make a difference for your grandson, get involved doing something in real life.
I am getting involved in real life. I have been in contact with our Governor and we have been on the news bringing awareness to the people in our area. I currently am working on opening a daycare center for all children Hearing and non-hearing. I will do whatever it takes to help my grandson and anyone else who needs it. I know a little poem isn't going to change things but it opened some doors in our area for those who have different abilities. They say if you can change one persons actions then you should be happy. I don't want to sound rude but I was just trying to share a little peice of who I am and show how much I care about people. God Bless.

Last edited:
That was a great poem. I can understand. I wear hearing aids because I am hard of hearing. When I was in school, I was labeled retarded, and that I would never learn to read or write. LOL. I am here reading, and I am a writer too. People judge too quickly.

And obviously, I must be having a bad day, but I would rather be thought of as just regular and not someone to be admired for people being able to learn from my differences. (beginning to foam at the mouth)
I guess I may have said it wrong if it upset you. I apologize. What I am saying is we all have something to teach. I have a cousin who was born with the front part of her brain missing. She has shown me so much. I have learned how to be thankful when I accomplish something. I might not be number one but I finished. My grandson has taught me to appreciate what I have and not be disappointed for what I don't have. Everybody has something special to offer the rest of the world. Being different is a good thing. If we were all the same the world would be a boring place. Even though I can hear, I am different from others who can hear. I thought it would be nice to show the poem but I guess I was wrong. I hope you will except my apology. I hope I explained my meaning okay. I didn't mean to upset you, again I apologize.

Last edited:
That was a great poem. I can understand. I wear hearing aids because I am hard of hearing. When I was in school, I was labeled retarded, and that I would never learn to read or write. LOL. I am here reading, and I am a writer too. People judge too quickly.
Thank you. I wrote the poem when we first found out my grandson was deaf. This was my way of dealing with news. He is so smart too. I just love the little bugger so much.

You are so right. I would love to read some of your work. Here is my email address if you would send it to me I would be happy to read it. poetrywriter47@comcast.net Have a wonder night. God Bless

I guess I may have said it wrong if it upset you. I apologize. What I am saying is we all have something to teach. I have a cousin who was born with the front part of her brain missing. She has shown me so much. I have learned how to be thankful when I accomplish something. I might not be number one but I finished. My grandson has taught me to appreciate what I have and not be disappointed for what I don't have. Everybody has something special to offer the rest of the world. Being different is a good thing. If we were all the same the world would be a boring place. Even though I can hear, I am different from others who can hear. I thought it would be nice to show the poem but I guess I was wrong. I hope you will except my apology. I hope I explained my meaning okay. I didn't mean to upset you, again I apologize.

Oh well, I am sorry I keep telling you you are upsetting me. Unfortunately, you really are. What I take away from this latest entry, is that you are happy to not be handicapped and others who are make you thankful for your own luck.

Plus it really bothers me that you call your grandson a name as an animal. I think it is dehumanizing.

<snarls>

GrammyAlaine, this is the most beautiful poem. He will read your poem and will be impress with your feeling for him. Like all the Deaf ADers, He will face ignorant people who probably have never met a Deaf person or does not understand his hearing loss or deafness. We, Deafies, have to go through with that and we try to teach them our deafness and why it is important to have ASL more than anything in the world. God praise you for being there for your grandson. May you walk in beauty and so are all of your family. :thumb:
Thank you, I agree ASL is more important. It upset me to see how many people are so ignorant to the need. Some of the politicians in my area don't even realize signing is a language. I think all teachers, Police and Medical professionals should be required to learn ASL. May God Bless you and your family always. Take care

Oh well, I am sorry I keep telling you you are upsetting me. Unfortunately, you really are. What I take away from this latest entry, is that you are happy to not be handicapped and others who are make you thankful for your own luck.

Plus it really bothers me that you call your grandson a name as an animal. I think it is dehumanizing.

<snarls>
I am handicapped. I have Multiple Sclerosis. It is very hard and painful for me to walk. But I can still walk. Soon that priviledge will be gone and I will still be thankful.

Since he is a little boy (age 7), I don't want to use his real name. I did that for safety reasons.

I am sorry you feel this is dehumanizing. You are intitled to your opinion and I respect that. Have a wonderful evening.

I am handicapped. I have Multiple Sclerosis. It is very hard and painful for me to walk. But I can still walk. Soon that priviledge will be gone and I will still be thankful.

Since he is a little boy (age 7), I don't want to use his real name. I did that for safety reasons.

I am sorry you feel this is dehumanizing. You are intitled to your opinion and I respect that. Have a wonderful evening.

Pity card? I am deaf, have Asperger's syndrome, and the left side of my face is partially paralyzed from Ramsay Hunt syndrome. But I fight on a level ground and take my lumps with no excuses.

Have a wonderful evening. <froths at mouth>

Pity card? I am deaf, have Asperger's syndrome, and the left side of my face is partially paralyzed from Ramsay Hunt syndrome. But I fight on a level ground and take my lumps with no excuses.

Have a wonderful evening. <froths at mouth>
God Bless you. I will keep you in my prayers.

Back