A foot in both worlds.

litepack

Reaction score
It is odd being hearing impaired. On one hand you fit in just enough in the hearing world as to where people accept you I guess. On the other hand you fit in just enough in the deaf world for a friendly smile.

As the years go by and hearing starts to slip you know that you will be in the deaf world but for some reason I try to keep both feet in each world.

The really funny (in my opinion) part of my life is I am good at waiting tables which is 99.9% hearing. I get some odd stares at my hearing aids and some questions that make me want to squish someone’s head like a grape.

A question that has been asked more than once is… “Did you have to learn sign language or were you born with the knowledge?” No joke.. have been asked that more than once over the years.

Anyone else out there have a foot in both worlds?

Yup, I have been a foot in both world since age 20...I know exactly what you are talking about! I've been there and done that!

Anyhow, when I was in Deaf Culture :shock: at age 20, I had to learn ASL and Deaf Culture as well...

Long story short...When I was growing up..I was very much involved in hearing world - not the deaf world but I went to mainstreamed deaf school from age 5 - 11...then age 11 - graduated at hearing school...I basically hung around with my hearing friends at my former old church when I was growing up...These kids has never treated me differently...I was lucky though...

Anyway, Until age 20..when I went to college in Minnesota - I never knew about ASL sign language...only knew in English sign language...It took me 4 months to understand ASL and Deaf Culture in College there...I was desperated to be fit in the deaf world...The deaf college in Minnesota told me to stay away from hearing world...I was confused and upset...I wanted to be in both world but they said I had one choice...either deaf or hearing world...so I decided to reject hearing world and join the deaf world 100% for 3 years!!

When I left college there..I transferred to another deaf college in Illiniois...The deaf college in Illinois were very friendly towards hearing community...I was mixed up and confused! I thought the deaf world wasnt supposed to be around with hearing world since I was educated by the deaf college in Minnesota...The deaf college in Illinois told me that there were no reason for us (deafies) to reject hearing world...I was stunned and confused...I later learned that deaf college in Minnesota coped the "attitude" from Gally College in Washington...

So, I was brainwashed by the deaf college in Minnesota about the hearing community...I realized that there are some states that deaf culture accepts hearing culture and some states dont! Be honest with you...I love the deaf community in Illinois and Missouri where I lived in the past...these people were friendly! Unfortunately, here in Oklahoma...there are not friendly deafies around here...perhaps I'll say about 3 to 5 deafies are friendly to me...

Since I have struggled through the years between hearing and deaf world...since I have had bad experienced with deafies here in Oklahoma...I decided not to be involved in deaf community here in Oklahoma...They have hurt me very deeply...Currently, I am more involved in hearing community...and I feel more comfy about that...

But...I do love being here at Alldeaf Forum...there are friendly in this site..and I do feel fit in here at this Forum...You guys give me hope, faith and supportive which I appreciate so much!

I learned that many deafies dont like me because I speak very well and hear very well with hearing aid...they are jealous of me so there is nothing I can do about it...there is no reason for them to dislike me because I can speak well and hear well...

It frustrates me that the deaf community here in Oklahoma tend to gossip about me and tells everyone to stay away from me bez Im dangerous person or whatever...It sicks me when they do that! Especially with my ex deaf husband...he is pedophile...these deafies are dumb to believe anything my ex hubby said/says to them about me...What sicks me the most is that he told everyone that he did not touch the children "deeply" only with "surface"...I knew that he lied to them and denies his sick mind! That was the top reason why I divorced him!!!! It was great reason for me to LEAVE him!!

So...I decided to be in deaf world ONLY in this Forum...and hang out with hearing community! I do have deaf friends who lives in different states...we keep in touch through vp and emails...

Been There Done that

Oh boy! What I go thru daily. Sometimes it gets on my nerves when people ask me the same question. I usually ask them " Were you born ingorant or just raised that way?" It gets them steemed. But, you got to look at it from our side. I am accepted by both "worlds", but the thing is .. I'm never truly accepted completely. I don't dwell on that fact i am hoh.
When my 4 year old , who is also hoh like me and my 3 year old who is profound deaf like their mother, are asked " Are you deaf or hard of hearing?" Both always answered "DEAF". Sometimes iI wish all hearing people know sign so I don't always have to speak to them verbally. Why is it "required" for me to speak to them , but I can't required them to sign. It's a simple matter of Double-standard. But that's the way life is.

Back