A cochlear implant story

Thanks 2C, yep everything is going good here with me and mine. How about you and yours? everything good there? hmm thinking what is there good to eat is the fridge? lol

That was a touching story, good for that girl.

Well, i saw a movie more like a documentary on class titled sounds of fury.And it relates to this in a way. And it does have mixed feelings between deaf and hearing people.

I think its up to the person if she wishes to have one or not and should not be pushed like what happened in the movie.

In every single post you talk about other poster's grammar. But yet, you ignore the simple fact that MANY of your posts has spelling and grammar errors as well.

yes that is true - I started talking about grammar but that is NOT because I wanted to put anybody down or appear inadequate.
Why don't you elaborate on the fact that I had prolonged discussion with Liebling complete with pulling out her OLD thread about PORK/HAm in desperate attempt to make her realise we have a misunderstanding after misunderstanding because she seem not to understand what am I saying to her? to only, as usual, it ending with HER accusing ME of being disrespectful and denying any misunderstanding.
how about that Bear, what's your take on it? wasn't her "ochhhhh" enough proof I KNOW what I am talking about? WASN'T it, Bear?

I believe I spent about quite a number of posts back then trying to explain to Liebling about what I meant when I said "ham part of the pig" and not until I was able pull out a picture did she got my message? "oooch, I am sorry" ??? and now this is happening all over again, but this time unfortunately I have no picture to prove it? care to check that out? and how about endless times when I tried to explain to Angel Cheri, Maria and others NO THIS IS NOT WHAT I MEAN? they diregarded it as invalid-THEY know better. And why I have NEVER received straight answer for any of my questions whenever there was some issue to deal with - for example, when I simply and politely asked Cheri "would you rather have a good non-signing father or a bad signing one"? why the heck is so hard to JUST answer this?

how do you explain that, huh? if this is not a case of dimnished comprehension of written English, then the only option is -it's the ATTITUDE. while I am not expecting to be loved and popular - I do expect to be understood, and NOT accused of things I did not do, or said, OKAY?

And I NEVER claimed to posses perfect English nor I denied I was making grammar mistakes, spelling errors and typos, NEVER,
and if so much as mention it or accuse me of the opposite then I can only conclude you too either base your judgment by your attitude towards me or you don't read my posts at all, yet you do criticize me without hesistation.
I was FIRST to admit that English is my second language and I am aware it's not prefect. I sad YES I too, make mistakes but of different kind. sadly, or conveniently, you seem to be missing it.

and because of this fundamental problem - the attitude, the misconceptions, innaccurate facts - I reject the rest of your post as invalid and biased with the exception to correct some of your thinking so the truth will prevail.

We are NOT here to pick on how a person writes. We ARE NOT here to pick on whether if a person grew up as ASL only or English only.
and I DO NOT DO THAT either. IT IS THE FACT that majority of my problems here arised from language barrier. if you can't see that, then I can't help it.

We do not have to take sides here. Fuzzy, you constantly accuse us of *patting each other on the backs* or *being part of a fan club*, but if you truly had been reading these threads, you would also see where members have apologized to each other.
baloney. there is Jillio, Cheri, Angel, Maria, Liebling and a few others who always stand up for each other no matter who is right. And the only time I was apologized to was by Cheri, unfortunately because she used PAST TENSE in her sentence I wasn't aware she is actually apologizING.
so don't tell me things like that don't cause communicative problems,
and if such a trivial thing as using a wrong tense is enough to create communication problem then imagine what more serious can do.
and excuse me, but I have been for years on plenty other forums and whenever hearing people are involved, such mistakes are rare and immediately corrected.
About the only other time when somebody actually admitted I wasn't treated right - was Shel but even this was done with great effort.

I would also say the mods, has given you way way more chances than they would someone who was their friends.

sure, except the mods doesn't do a zit when I am being desrespected, called names, belittled outright or in covert form, but many of MY perfectly polite posts were removed only because they were inconvenient and exposed the truth.

Fuzzy

Oh I see - judging by the tone of your first response in other forum and now here, i see you got briefed. I am not suprised.

Do you have PROOF?

Do I need it? And even if I did, you said yourself that I was briefed, so, yeah, I do have proof!

are you aware of this simple but how meaningful little sentence:

INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY?

Are YOU aware that that is not a sentence?

CAN you or anybody else prove I wasn't simply asking for SIMPLE explanation?
And indeed, if any person who replied to my post KNEW the defintion of those two words, why didn't they just SIMPLY SAY IT? That would be it -simple..
A question asked and answered, that's all.
Why such aproar, accusations, suspicions, threats?
Is it because in fact, they DON'T know and understand English as well as Jillio claims, and were afraid to expose their ignorance? if that is not the case - why, then? why this uproar?

HAVE you seen the Wikipedia defintion? it's causing me more confusion instead of claryfing.

But I have one question for you, why would you carry a knife to a gun fight? QUOTE]

I carry neither knife or gun. What for? I am not here to start fights in the first place. I am here to learn about deaf culture, but sadly it is not going to happen, I am put off by people's attitude here.

would they, really? and once again - that fight, annihilitation - is it what we are here for?

It seems as though its what you're here for. I read for a long time before I joined and every time someone calls you on your ish, you start acting stupid, like you don't understand what's going on. That is irritating as hell and that is what most of these folks are trying to get you to see. SEE it and stop trying to be seen.

If you are truly here to learn you will be somewhat humble with yours, ask your questions and accept people's opinions. If you are here to teach/share, you will be prepared to bibliograph your findings for others to research further, AND accept others' opinions. And that's it.

Go back and read the progression of the threads in which you were involved. If you do not see it, you ain't lookin'. Being as all fingers are pointing towards you, its on you to research your MB behavior. These people shouldn't have to keep telling you that you are insulting.:nono:

Thank you. At least YOU are honest. I admire that. btw your explanation is just great, thanks.

Fuzzy

I'm always honest. It's my blessing as well as my curse! :D

yes that is true - I started talking about grammar but that is NOT because I wanted to put anybody down or appear inadequate.
Why don't you elaborate on the fact that I had prolonged discussion with Liebling complete with pulling out her OLD thread about PORK/HAm in desperate attempt to make her realise we have a misunderstanding after misunderstanding because she seem not to understand what am I saying to her? to only, as usual, it ending with HER accusing ME of being disrespectful and denying any misunderstanding.
how about that Bear, what's your take on it? wasn't her "ochhhhh" enough proof I KNOW what I am talking about? WASN'T it, Bear?

I believe I spent about quite a number of posts back then trying to explain to Liebling about what I meant when I said "ham part of the pig" and not until I was able pull out a picture did she got my message? "oooch, I am sorry" ??? and now this is happening all over again, but this time unfortunately I have no picture to prove it? care to check that out? and how about endless times when I tried to explain to Angel Cheri, Maria and others NO THIS IS NOT WHAT I MEAN? they diregarded it as invalid-THEY know better. And why I have NEVER received straight answer for any of my questions whenever there was some issue to deal with - for example, when I simply and politely asked Cheri "would you rather have a good non-signing father or a bad signing one"? why the heck is so hard to JUST answer this?

how do you explain that, huh? if this is not a case of dimnished comprehension of written English, then the only option is -it's the ATTITUDE. while I am not expecting to be loved and popular - I do expect to be understood, and NOT accused of things I did not do, or said, OKAY?

And I NEVER claimed to posses perfect English nor I denied I was making grammar mistakes, spelling errors and typos, NEVER,
and if so much as mention it or accuse me of the opposite then I can only conclude you too either base your judgment by your attitude towards me or you don't read my posts at all, yet you do criticize me without hesistation.
I was FIRST to admit that English is my second language and I am aware it's not prefect. I sad YES I too, make mistakes but of different kind. sadly, or conveniently, you seem to be missing it.

and because of this fundamental problem - the attitude, the misconceptions, innaccurate facts - I reject the rest of your post as invalid and biased with the exception to correct some of your thinking so the truth will prevail.

and I DO NOT DO THAT either. IT IS THE FACT that majority of my problems here arised from language barrier. if you can't see that, then I can't help it.

baloney. there is Jillio, Cheri, Angel, Maria, Liebling and a few others who always stand up for each other no matter who is right. And the only time I was apologized to was by Cheri, unfortunately because she used PAST TENSE in her sentence I wasn't aware she is actually apologizING.
and if such a trivial thing as using a wrong tense is enough to create communication problem then imagine what more serious can do.
and excuse me, but I have been for years on plenty other forums and whenever hearing people are involved, such mistakes are rare and immediately corrected.
About the only other time when somebody actually admitted I wasn't treated right - was Shel but even this was done with great effort.

sure, except the mods doesn't do a zit when I am being desrespected, called names, belittled outright or in covert form, but many of MY perfectly polite posts were removed only because they were inconvenient and exposed the truth.

Fuzzy

Fuzzy,

Did it occur to you that Liebling is not American? Did it occur to you that she has stated before that she is actually British? Even the British language is not the American English. I do not know how long Liebling has been in Germany, is it not possible that German is her native language?

Therefore, things here would have a different meaning over there. Our football is their soccer, they call soccer-football over there.

As for questions unanswered, it may be that either they didnt know the answer or felt that if you truly wanted to know its meaning that you could have looked it up.

Funny, how you say sides are being taken. Isnt it just possible that some of us just happen to share the same views? Isnt it just possible that those same sides do switch depending on the debate? Hmm I remember one post where Cheri apologizes to Cloggy about assuming he never signed with his daughter. But wait a minute!!! IF we are taking sides, then why would she apologize? Isnt it our side against your side?

As for misunderstanding your posts, isnt it also possible that it depends on the reader and how that post was made? gee Fuzzy, I could say something like the oral only approach is the approach I would take with a hearing child. Oh, so someone else reading my post would say, but Bear your deaf, are you trying to teach your child to be against deaf?

Its all about the reader. Any sentence made can be taken in different contextes. My statement above would be taken by myself that my daughter is hearing so naturally, I am gonna teach her orally. But to someone else, it could be a statement, that I do not want her to learn to sign.

Misunderstanding someone else's meaning is natural to have happen anywhere, anytime in life. There were many of times I have misunderstood my husband. He does NOT tell me oh you misunderstood me because you cant read english. He does NOT tell me there is a language barrier. He just simply repeats himself and if I still dont get what he means, he clarifies. Simple as that! *GASP*

You cant expect everyone to be able to look through the screens and see a person's expression and attitude as they post. There is no possible way that will happen today.

Im sorry Fuzzy, but I believe you have taken this same discussion way too far! And it does give you the appearance of just wanting to stir the pot.

As for the mods, how DO you KNOW nothing was done? They are not REQUIRED to tell you what actions were taken. AND if they did, I would not be a member here, because I do not want to know who was *punished* for this or that.

We dont need a *dunce* corner here.

Oh, I missed that.. looks like either everybody else missed that too or the explanation wasn't clear enough :ugh3:

Gotta look again. Thanx, Jills.

Fuzzy

You are welcome. And I don't thinkthe others missed the post that defined the terms. They just figured they went to the trouble to find the definition on their own, and expected that, if you truly wanted to know the meaning of the words, you would put forth the same effort.

Audiofuzzy, you simply are not TRYING to understand.

I tell my son all the time to not have a LAZY BRAIN. That is what you are doing here with those two words. The dictionary, thesaurus and wikipedia are all resources that will provide the understanding you need. TRY THEM instead of trying to get folks here to explain them to you. Hell, even I have to go to Dictionary.com when reading on other message boards because of the big-a (what I call'em) words others use. And I have a passion for the English language and had to READ the dictionary when I was a child. I have a vast vocabulary (but choose not to use words JUST to make others feel stupid) I too loved to read when I was a child, and so does my son. I refuse to let him be stupid on MY watch!

You are not trying to understand so I agree with the folks who say you are picking a fight.

But I have one question for you, why would you carry a knife to a gun fight? Why would you pick a battle of wits and word with folks who would annihilate you if they stepped up to the challenge? If you feel you are inferior or ill-equipped, I CHALLENGE you to want more for yourself. Don't show your weakness! Act like you know what they are talking about and come back at em with something just as big (type your layman words into Thesaurus.com) and leave a scar!

Just like you advocate for the CI to improve life, get you a dictionary, thesaurus, whatever, improve YOUR vocabulary, say what you have to say and leave them with it.

Its really not that hard, but if you focus on being antagonistic without the proper shield, you have already lost.

Not to mention which, I defined both terms earlier inthis very thread. I was the one that used the terms originally, and when asked to define them, did so. All fuzzy had to do was read. But her intention was not to learn the meaning of an unfamiliar word, but to start her drama all over again.

I agree with you. There is no excuse for laziness. If you want to improve your vocabulary, and you want to know the meaning of an unfamiliar word, it is very easy to find that information. I, too was one of those Moms that pointed to the dictionary when my son would come across a word he didn't know in his school work or reading. If he needed further clarification after he had looked it up, I would provide it. But by having him look the word up himself, he learned how to find information that he needed on his own. A very valuable lesson to my way of thinking.

Not to change the subject or show you up, Angel but I think that those two words used by Jillio come out of the medical/psychological settings. This also will give Fuzzy the opportunity go there herself; you have been nice and done enough, Angel.

While those two words are used in the field of psychology, they are actually more commonly used in the study of English and composition, particulary in critical thinking and writing skills.

No, that's not it, I did not know those words mean at first when Jillioie first posted it in another thread and I looked it up myself, then I got a clear picture of what it actually meant, it's not so hard to do if you read and understand what it's saying and the meaning for these two words...

Denotation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Denotation is what is photographed, and connotation is how it is photographed...

The denotation of this example is a red rose with a green stem. The connotation is that it is a symbol of passion and love - this is what the rose represents.
Very good!

Interesting thread and Keanusmom, I like your post. We are always learning and I know just because I have two degrees doesnt mean I am done with learning. The more the better. :)

If we stop learning,we stagnate, my friend. There is always more to learn; one only needs the desire.

I thought I was done learning until I couldn't communicate (to my satisfaction) with my child. So now I am in ASL classes every Saturday morning. I LOVE it! We are going to the ASL expo here in GA next weekend. MY FIRST BIG TEST! I am so nervous. I feel SO stupid when I go up to the school and the kids bum rush me talking to me. When my son was in a hearing school, I LOVED it, but now I feel like a deaf person feels in a hearing world... Say whaaa? :D

I will never stop learning unless my brain somehow stops functioning.
Ignorance is a choice!

What are your degrees in?

You all have NO idea how you (and the people at the Atlanta School for the Deaf) inspire me to keep pressing with my son. He is 12, so of course he wants to give up, be lazy and try to "accept" that he is different and dumb (because of his delayed language), you know, that teenager crap. LOL

I show him almost daily that he is SO not dumb (if you can FINISH Pokemon games and stuff like that, you CAN'T be dumb!!)

I recognize the defeatist (deˈfeatist noun, adjective
(of) a person who gives up too easily and is too easily discouraged)
attitude on display here and it makes me want to give out homework! (write an essay on how one defeatist or dejected person can kill the atmosphere of an otherwise optimistic forum) Tee-hee.

Okay, I'm being sarcastic. :naughty: Time to take a break. :D

Good for you! You keep right on pushing through! It will pay off in the end, and your son will be ever so grateful for a mother such as yourself.

Fuzzy, I have 2 words for you: personal responsibility. Stop blaming everyone and everything else for the situation you are in. You are responsible for your own circumstances, and until you realize that you will continue on this dead end road.

Audiofuzzy, you simply are not TRYING to understand.

I tell my son all the time to not have a LAZY BRAIN. That is what you are doing here with those two words. The dictionary, thesaurus and wikipedia are all resources that will provide the understanding you need. TRY THEM instead of trying to get folks here to explain them to you. Hell, even I have to go to Dictionary.com when reading on other message boards because of the big-a (what I call'em) words others use. And I have a passion for the English language and had to READ the dictionary when I was a child. I have a vast vocabulary (but choose not to use words JUST to make others feel stupid) I too loved to read when I was a child, and so does my son. I refuse to let him be stupid on MY watch!

You are not trying to understand so I agree with the folks who say you are picking a fight.

But I have one question for you, why would you carry a knife to a gun fight? Why would you pick a battle of wits and word with folks who would annihilate you if they stepped up to the challenge? If you feel you are inferior or ill-equipped, I CHALLENGE you to want more for yourself. Don't show your weakness! Act like you know what they are talking about and come back at em with something just as big (type your layman words into Thesaurus.com) and leave a scar!

Just like you advocate for the CI to improve life, get you a dictionary, thesaurus, whatever, improve YOUR vocabulary, say what you have to say and leave them with it.

Its really not that hard, but if you focus on being antagonistic without the proper shield, you have already lost.

*A*M*E*N*

We are NOT here to pick on how a person writes. We ARE NOT here to pick on whether if a person grew up as ASL only or English only.

Exactly, nobody pick on my written grammar until Fuzzy...... Her manner behavior toward us over our written grammar is an unbeleivable... which is huge opposite to my friends (hearing/deaf)... They are happy to correct my written grammar if I ask them. They show their understanding on my difference English grammar between British and American, also German as well... Something like that... Is it British language? I was like Occcchhhh... what is American language? They are glad to point the language out to me... When I was in Australia with my family in 2000. Some of their English language is some different as American and British. We pointed each other our difference languages which is great education for us instead of belittle each other over our misunderstanding etc.

I agree with 2C, too many valuable threads have been locked up due to YOU, Fuzzy, wanting to cause trouble.

*nodding sadly*

We do not have to take sides here. Fuzzy, you constantly accuse us of *patting each other on the backs* or *being part of a fan club*, but if you truly had been reading these threads, you would also see where members have apologized to each other. You would also see these *so-called* sides agreeing with each other. You would also see very respectful and nice posts between the members. If you need examples, there are many. One I know of for sure is between Cloggy and I.

Yes, that's right. I tried to be nice and positive my post to Fuzzy in my first post at Maria's CI thread and tried to convince her ... The problem is she don't want to try to understand us (deaf posters) but negative/accuse us which is not acceptance to us.

Thank you for make a positive post here.

I believe I spent about quite a number of posts back then trying to explain to Liebling about what I meant when I said "ham part of the pig" and not until I was able pull out a picture did she got my message? "oooch, I am sorry" ??? and now this is happening all over again, but this time unfortunately I have no picture to prove it? care to check that out?

You should say in first place when I use "PORK" in my some posts: "Wait a minute, I think we confused our difference language... "PORK? Is it British language? Right? If yes, we use HAM as American language..." I would say Oooocchhh... thank you for show me your American language ...

Example: Shel90 mentioned "football" in her CI thread. I would not do like what you did to me... I questioned her in manner way to aviod any misunderstand... Is it American football, you referred to? (We use Rugby as British language... football as British language for American scoocer). Shel90 understood straight way that I am an European and glad to point out that it's American football but you?

Yes, it's disrespectful of you to pull and pasted my 2 years old posts over CI thread which it doesn't relate the title of CI thread.

and how about endless times when I tried to explain to Angel Cheri, Maria and others NO THIS IS NOT WHAT I MEAN? they diregarded it as invalid-THEY know better. And why I have NEVER received straight answer for any of my questions whenever there was some issue to deal with - for example, when I simply and politely asked Cheri "would you rather have a good non-signing father or a bad signing one"? why the heck is so hard to JUST answer this?

More posters (example Islandgal, Bear, Keanusmom, Jillio, and others) view your posts the same as us. Its about your disrespectful manner posts.

We understood your written English. It has nothing do with your written English but your disrespectful manner... something like that when a poster said that she do not see her son as a handciapped or see "handciapped" as an offensive... but you denied her view and insisted in firm way like correct the poster... "Yes, your son is a handciapped"... Yes, your son is a handciapped. Yes,... Yes... Yes you are a liar... Yes, you have a canny skill.... manputive, etc. Is it way of written English? No, but your own manner.

Yes you criticized Cheri's written grammar because of past tense "apologized"... because Cheri should write apology instead of apologized...
Yes you criticized Angel's misspelled written because of her typos.
Yes you criticized Maria, my and others' posts as well because we interpreted our posts in different way what and how we see your posts.

The way of your manner way look like that you are prefect.

Yes, we know English is your second language but you do not need to criticize our posts to make yourself prefect.

I am sorry that you don't want to see that we have the same views.

baloney. there is Jillio, Cheri, Angel, Maria, Liebling and a few others who always stand up for each other no matter who is right.

No, we disagreed many times at debated threads example cat declaw, relgious, etc. You will surprised when you see our debated threads... If I disagree something then say them... but we have the same views over CI issues...

And the only time I was apologized to was by Cheri, unfortunately because she used PAST TENSE in her sentence I wasn't aware she is actually apologizING.

See? You picked on her grammar because she used past tense... :roll:

I would not say that when I were you... If I see it and will know what she is talking about instead of fuss on her written grammar... I have no problem to view any posts no matter what ... because I interpret their posts in my view... They will correct me if I interpret their posts in the wrong way... No problem...

No, that's not it, I did not know those words mean at first when Jillioie first posted it in another thread and I looked it up myself, then I got a clear picture of what it actually meant, it's not so hard to do if you read and understand what it's saying and the meaning for these two words...

Denotation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Denotation is what is photographed, and connotation is how it is photographed...

The denotation of this example is a red rose with a green stem. The connotation is that it is a symbol of passion and love - this is what the rose represents.

:lol: cute.... :D

Fuzzy,

Did it occur to you that Liebling is not American? Did it occur to you that she has stated before that she is actually British? Even the British language is not the American English. I do not know how long Liebling has been in Germany, is it not possible that German is her native language?

Therefore, things here would have a different meaning over there. Our football is their soccer, they call soccer-football over there.

As for questions unanswered, it may be that either they didnt know the answer or felt that if you truly wanted to know its meaning that you could have looked it up.

:ty:

Yes, that's right I am not an American but European. The English language/grammar is difference between British and American.

Fuzzy should check with me first either it's European English language or not instead of judge/criticize my posts.

I sometimes use German language in English written, sometimes British,... sometimes American... I live in Germany for a long time and feel that German is my "first" language... but ADers have no problem to understand my posts but Fuzzy.

Funny, how you say sides are being taken. Isnt it just possible that some of us just happen to share the same views? Isnt it just possible that those same sides do switch depending on the debate? Hmm I remember one post where Cheri apologizes to Cloggy about assuming he never signed with his daughter. But wait a minute!!! IF we are taking sides, then why would she apologize? Isnt it our side against your side?

Exactly... I remember Cheri apologized Cloggy in Cloggy's thread. She admitted her mistake which is a great. I apologized Neecy because I thought she do not support sign language. We did that in mature way when we accept our knowledge that we made mistakes but Fuzzy? :dunno:

As for misunderstanding your posts, isnt it also possible that it depends on the reader and how that post was made? gee Fuzzy, I could say something like the oral only approach is the approach I would take with a hearing child. Oh, so someone else reading my post would say, but Bear your deaf, are you trying to teach your child to be against deaf?

Yes we felt from her negative posts toward sign languages. That's why we stop her from misleading and negative toward sign languages. All what we want hearing posters know the positive about sign languages.

Misunderstanding someone else's meaning is natural to have happen anywhere, anytime in life. There were many of times I have misunderstood my husband. He does NOT tell me oh you misunderstood me because you cant read english. He does NOT tell me there is a language barrier. He just simply repeats himself and if I still dont get what he means, he clarifies. Simple as that! *GASP*

Yes, true... We ALL including Fuzzy misunderstand each other sometimes. We ALL including Fuzzy are not prefect people...

Again :gpost: to all your posts..

Do you realise that you completely missed the point?

no matter what was the reason of Liebling not understanding - whether it was British or American English, or ASL influenced English - the point is, for crissake - that SHE DIDN'T UNDERSTOOD, and THAT was what I was trying to tell her.

Got it already?

Fuzzy

See? You picked on her grammar because she used past tense...

I didn't PICK ON her grammar - I thought she apologizED. like: she did it already ONCE, got it?

Fuzzy

Back