A Cancer surviving story

deafmedicalpoet

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I want to share a success story from little 4 year old charlie. He has Neuroblastoma, a cancer; however, he has won the battle to fight it for the second time in his life. He turned 4 on June 20th. Neuroblastoma is a cancer of the adrenal gland and can be fatal. There are many children that get it starting at age 1 and can stay around until a child is 14 if they can get into remission. Charlie was only 2 when he was first attacked with this cancer and got it into remission may 2006 and just in November/december time in 2007 it came back and now he seems to have one this battle again. He is a very very lively boy! I was able to visit him for nearly an hour on August 8th and he was all smile, giggles and talk. He needs alot pray and alot care too but he is so sweet. You can tell him Hi and he will answer with "I am the boy with cancer. " That will take your heart away because he will smile after that and get you just talking and laughing with him. :D I gave him some books, a dump truck and even a plastic hard hat..... he loved them all. He was naming every kind of construction vechile in the books. Smart boy! He has a little brother that is watching him go through this and you can tell its hard. His mom is divorced but is soon getting married. At least he will soon have a father that cares and all. I have a few pictures below I want to share with you of Charlie. You will see how lively the little guy is....he had me nearly crying when I got to see him again because of how well he is doing and how happy he is even though he is tired.

(if want to preview bigger pics please click on the pics )

View attachment 12543

View attachment 12544

View attachment 12545

Wow, I am glad that boy survived through the cancer, and want to ensure that he would keep it way.

Currently, my aunt have the cancer, last week my parents, my brother and I went to her house up at Seattle area. When I see her, it was very shocking and sad to see her while she have the cancer, she doesn't look the same at all. She was very thin, like she only have the skin and bones, that's it, no muscle or fats. Her cancer comes from the leukemia which she received from the sunlight. She barely able to keep the food she ate in her stomach, but she threw up the foods that she recently ate at the most of the times, also she cannot walk or handle thing that much so someone have to be there to assist her.

Cancer is really a nasty and scary disease and I hope that boy keep be safe from the cancer.

My aunt has cancer. I thought she survived it, but my mom told me that she still has cancer. She has the cancer in her ovaries. And She has a tumor in her colon. She had a surgery 2 months ago, shes doing okay. But she's on radiation treatment all summer for her tumor, and I also found out that my aunt is going to start chemo. She has lost alot of weight from her radiation treatment. And I agree with PuyoPiyo, it is a really nasty and a scary disease. And I hope someday in the future that the doctors and scientist would find a cure for cancer. I hope the boy's health would stay away from cancer.

I think it should stay in General Chat Oceanbreeze.....we have other topics in there that should be in other sections. and besides its worth staying here (if I am wrong mods please let me know where its moved too)

I think it should stay in General Chat Oceanbreeze.....we have other topics in there that should be in other sections. and besides its worth staying here (if I am wrong mods please let me know where its moved too)

If it's moved, it will go to the health forum.

Mod's note:

Thread's moved to proper location. It will be sticky for a time being.

Charlie is one tough fighter, that's for sure. Hopefully, his family will have several years left with him.

In Australia, we're hoping a young boy named Dylan Hartung who suffers from this cancer will be cured, or at least have the cancer beaten into remission.

He should be dead few years ago, but due to his family determination to have him undergo clinical trials in New York, so far, he's doing okay as can be. However, he does have cancer in his bones and such.

He might be lucky to live a couple of years, if not more. His mother, from my impression, seem to think he'll be cured. Well, I hope so for their sake.

His family gave up their family home and everything to pay for treatments in NYC, but they're in debt so deeply and relies on handouts.

His story touched my heart. Hopefully he stay in remission for rest of his life. Thank you for sharing a beautiful touching story with us. :)

Awww..Charlie is a fighter! Give him lots of hugs!

Just a new update of Charlie's....He won the battle for the 2nd time yay!!! His doctors are keeping him in remission by keeping on with Chemo.... Man! I would have said let me live peacefully if I was Charlie! I love life and see that with Charlie is only a miracle. He still needs alot of prayers and lots of love. He is going to really prove he is an angel one day!

I will post an updated picture of him soon! He has had two brain surgeries to date so far.

Wow!
Charlie is a brave strong fighter and a cute child.
I am happy for him.

Great news.

I know one of my cousins who had cancer and he died at a very young age before I would even remember him.

I hope one of these days there would be a complete cure to cancer...it is hard to believe that of course cancer has been around even before humans existed and is still one of the most deadly viruses ever and yet still very difficult to cure it.

I'm glad Charlie's cancer is in remission. He does sound like a brave boy. I will keep my fingers crossed for him.

My mum died of cancer.

I wish everyone else who post here that are also touched by cancer the best of luck.

Charlie was in remission until a week ago.....

His aunt emailed me....

FOR GOD SO LOVED THE WORLD, THAT HE GAVE HIS ONLY BEGOTTEN SON, THAT WHOSOEVER BELIEVETH IN HIM SHOULD NOT PERISH, BUT HAVE EVERLASTING LIFE.
JOHN 3:16

JESUS SAID UNTO HIM, IF THOU CANST BELIEVE, ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE TO HIM THAT BELIEVETH.
MARK 9:23

CHARLIE HAS HIS MRI ON THURSDAY. THE DOCTORS HAD THE RESULTS BACK THURSDAY NIGHT BUT WE DID NOT HEAR ANYTHING UNTIL YESTERDAY. CHARLIE'S MOM RECEIVED THE PHONE CALL YESTERDAY MORNING. CHARLIE IS NO LONGER IN REMISSION. HIS CANCER IS BACK IN HIS BRAIN AND WE WILL KNOW ON MONDAY HOW MUCH FURTHER IT HAS SPREAD. HIS HEADACHES ARE COMING FROM THE BRAIN WHERE THE CANCER HAS REOCCURED. TETE IS SAD HER HEART IS BREAKING BUT I KNOW OUR GOD IS AN AWESOME GOD AND HE HAS A PLAN FOR CHARLIE. MY FAVORITE POEM "FOOTPRINTS IN THE SAND" SAYS MY CHILD MY PRECIOUS CHILD WHEN YOU SEE ONLY ONE SET OF FOOTPRINTS IN THE SAND IT WAS THEN THAT I CARRIED YOU. JESUS IS CARRYING MY CHARLIE THROUGH THIS TIME AGAIN AS WE SEEK THE ANSWERS WE NEED.

WE MEANT WITH CHARLIE'S ONCOLOGIST FRIDAY AND WE DO KNOW THAT THE CANCER IS INOPERABLE. HE DID SAY THAT HE COULD NOT HAVE ANY RADIATION BUT DID NOT RULE OUT CHEMO. THE ULTIMATE HEALER IS GOD AND CHARLIE'S CARE IS IN HIS HANDS. I KNOW HE WILL NOT LET CHARLIE SUFFER. WE ARE NOT GIVING UP THIS FIGHT FOR CHARLIE. HE KNOWS THE BAD GUY IS BACK IN HIS HEAD AND HE WANTS TO GET HIM OUT OF THERE.

NEUROBLASTOMA IS A MONSTER. WE NEED TO FIGHT FOR OUR LOVED ONES. I KNOW THAT CHARLIE HAS FOUGHT HARD FOR THREE YEARS AND I KNOW CHARLIE WAS NOT SUPPOSE TO BE HERE NOW. SO THAT LITTLE BOY IS GOING TO FIGHT. HE STARTS SCHOOL TUESDAY HIS FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL. AUNTIE IS SO EXCITED FOR HIM.

PLEASE CONTINUE TO PRAY FOR OUR CHARLIE. HE NEEDS YOUR PRAYERS.
KEEPING YOU IN PRAYERS!
LOVE,
AUNTIE

Here are a few updated pics

charlie2-1.jpg

charlievandenburg.jpg

charlie2.jpg

charlie3-1.jpg

Suffer little children.....come to me....God bless this child!

Such a beautiful little boy, brings tears to my eyes.

There was an update tonight at 6:51 pm

This is what his aunt said:

Auntie spent most of today at the hospital. Charlie started his first round of chemo today. His treatment programs are limited so they are just going to start there. We talked to the Doctors today and they have done most all scans. Charlie does have tumors in his spine, head and bone marrow. There is some evidence of disease in his lymph nodes. My heart is heavy and sad. I know God is walking with Charlie and once again carry him through this difficult time.

Please keep Charlie in your prayers. Lots of Love!

This is not livable at all....prayers are welcome and i am even wanting to start making a fundraiser to help him live if i can

deafmedicalpoet

Back