a 4th of july dedication to my grandfather

deafmedicalpoet

Reaction score
I am dedicating a lot on this 4th of July to everyone! I just chose to share my grandfather story here with all of you. My grandfather died April 14th 1991. His story lives on and I would like to share this honored story of a survivor of pearl harbor. As we all know the story of pearl harbor with the Japaneses attacking the small port of pearl harbor, Hawaii. The few that survived have made an effort to sharing their stories. My grandfather shared his when I was very very young. He talked about all the blood and deaths, still yet he shared hs jobs on the flight deck and how he worked the planes and helped everywhere he could. He managed to survive while much of those that dealt with the planes in the air or elsewhere died.he spoke of how food was ration on the ship, how he wished to be at home and with is gf which is my grandmother. As of hardship from war he was losing battle with his health about 10 years after he survived by problems with his heart and my grandfather battled like always to stay alive because he had children 4 years after he returned and was blessed with 5 children. My grandfather stated many different details of how they lined planes up on the ship, how he repaired them, swabbed the deck and more. I know I am being sort with words because this is a hard time in remembrance of a fallen hero that died. My grandfather when he passed away it was a time when he past on the operating table during his 3rd heart bypass surgery. He is my living legendary hero of war. I never got to grow up with him. he promised me that I will have a future of more than I know. As I speak here I cry, for I lost the meaning of my 4th July hero. Please no bashing of my grandfather or what I typed. This is a memorable I share with my family every year. I will include pictures in my next post of my grandfathers ship. :(:(

RIP my grandfather Willam A Cummins died April 14 1991.:tears:

mods: could you make this sticky?

First of all, your story is really enjoy to read. :) But, no offense, I don't think there was an aircraft carrier or USS Yorktown on December 7th, 1941 in Pearl Harbor. (I'm a World War 2's history buff, tho)

Yeah, I sort of recall the SS Yorktown was hit and sank in the Battle of Midway and we lost 50 plus naval personnel.

DMPoet, I thank and salute your grandfather.

there were multiple uss yorktowns but this is one that didn't sink at all

tousi my grandfather would be proud to see you do that to him.

deafmedicalpoet

Thanks for sharing your story about your grandfather. He was a survivor from Pearl Harbor , with lots of stories to tell. That's awesome, now you can share it with AD members.
Thanks!

Back