89 Ford F-150 electrical?

alternator brushes

4x4Wire - Replacing Alternator Brushes

a simple way to test your alternator is to start your truck then disconnect the positive then negative terminals on your battery. If the truck still runs, the alternator is good. If it dies, replace the alternator.

Bad idea, I won't recommend for that. I always use my fluke 88 to check battery/alt over old school test for safely.

S0rceress0, If you don't have DMM then you can go to autozone or somewhere and buy cheap DMM. Have you tried jump start on your F150 yet? If it got start with jump start then take jump start off and Set auto DC or DC 20V on the DMM then put DMM's probes on the alt's ports, if DMM read 13-15 VDC during idle then alt is good and double check cables for battery and alt. If under 12VDC then alt or brushes need to replace it.

This is cheap DMM and very simple for you.
OEM/Multimeter measure AC/DC voltage, DC current and resistance, diode test and low battery warning and input impedance for voltage 10 MegOhms (UT20B) | Multimeter | AutoZone.com

If the voltage reading is 15v or more that is overcharge, best way to replace alternate because if you try to replace the bushes, still not fix the overcharge problem due to bad voltage regulator. Not worth to fix the bushes and voltage regulator where the parts are hard to get. Plus noise ball bearings. I go with a new alternator over rebuilt alternator. In past years, I fed up with poor quality rebuilt alternators or starters and end up with new parts that make me peace and no comeback. Today, the part stores sell China made alternators and starters. I bought a new Denso alternator , made in USA, for my old Chevy
Astro van. No problem.

Maybe SOrceress's truck got a bad starter? The poor quality rebuilt starter can be last about 2 or more months. Best way to take a battery to the part store to ask them to test a battery. Save your time. Hth dst

Back