87% Say English Should Be U.S. Official Language

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shoot....that happens in ALL stats classes! It is the nature of the course material that does it! My stats profs were all American bred and born...still always lost half the class. At the grad level, we started with 25 and ended with 7!:lol:

at least the students didn't drop out because of communication issue. Just that this professor will need to work on his teaching method

Gotta agree with that. I want the knowlege of the most knowlegable. If I have to work a little harder to understand, or ask them to repeat something, oh, well.

what if 90% of what he said was unintelligible?

what if 90% of what he said was unintelligible?

Well, that is something different altogether. I have never met a prof of any country of origin, that is 90% unintelligable. Most college profs have spent a good deal of their educational career in the U.S. and while many retain a heavy accent, none are 90% unintelligable.

Isn't most of the professors are hired to do research? Only they do a bit of instruction on the side?

So why are you comparing post-secondary institutes to high school?

Well, that is something different altogether. I have never met a prof of any country of origin, that is 90% unintelligable. Most college profs have spent a good deal of their educational career in the U.S. and while many retain a heavy accent, none are 90% unintelligable.

lol ok I'm exaggerating. How about half the time? or if ALL students cannot understand?

that's why my physics professor got fired (or reassigned).

lol ok I'm exaggerating. How about half the time? or if ALL students cannot understand?

that's why my physics professor got fired (or reassigned).

Well, I've been in classes where all the students had difficulty with certain words or phrases from a prof. But they also had the option of transferring to another section with a different prof.

I really don't know about the one you are talking about. I haven't heard him speak.

Well, I've been in classes where all the students had difficulty with certain words or phrases from a prof. But they also had the option of transferring to another section with a different prof.

I really don't know about the one you are talking about. I haven't heard him speak.

my terp (CART) writes like this - "So this equation [unintelligible] ..... .... .... because [unintelligible] ...... ...... .... but you can [unintelligible] ....... since if [unintelligible]....."

:mad2:

my terp (CART) writes like this - "So this equation [unintelligible] ..... .... .... because [unintelligible] ...... ...... .... but you can [unintelligible] ....... since if [unintelligible]....."

:mad2:

Maybe you need a new terp!:laugh2:

Seriously, though, that is not acceptable.

Wow...

I had almost exclusively all-foreign TAs and professors at my university, and I still haven't ran into the same problem as you Jiro with the CART providers.

On the second hand, it could be a byproduct of the melting pot.

If you're not used to listening to multiple accents, you won't be able to take on the jobs.

which was why he was fired. it was pretty brutal just to sit thru his classes. but yea - I cannot remember why I didn't switch to different section. I think it was because it was the only available section (that doesn't conflict with other courses) and/or other section was full. :dunno:

Wow...

I had almost exclusively all-foreign TAs and professors at my university, and I still haven't ran into the same problem as you Jiro with the CART providers.

same but only 2-3 were [unintelligible]... They ought to take an opportunity in English class to learn how to speak "better" :aw:

On the second hand, it could be a byproduct of the melting pot.

If you're not used to listening to multiple accents, you won't be able to take on the jobs.

my terps are pretty seasoned and can handle just about anything but this one is just pretty bad.

anyway - about the article I posted....

Teachers who are not fluent in English, who make grammatical errors while speaking or who have heavy accents will be temporarily reassigned.

that's just wrong to have a teacher like that teaching English. that is no way to learn English if they want to learn English.

I think the United States should have two official languages - English and Spanish - because English is the majority language of this country, Spanish is the main language of most of the ones not speaking English, and the other languages are bupkis, pretty much. (Except in, say, Hawaii and some of America's cities, and maybe my New Jersey...)

Yes, it looks like a win by a landslide.
epic_win.jpg

Pedobear? I don't know the name of the guy being called out by Pedobear, but if this was of someone in clergy robes, I'd certainly understand! :lol::laugh2:

Pedobear? I don't know the name of the guy being called out by Pedobear, but if this was of someone in clergy robes, I'd certainly understand! :lol::laugh2:

:lol: I see we have another one who's up to date with the net meme's out there. :wave:

Did you introduce yourself? Can't recall if I've seen you around these parts.

:lol: I see we have another one who's up to date with the net meme's out there. :wave:

Did you introduce yourself? Can't recall if I've seen you around these parts.

Me? I'm a deaf guy who's looking for info on cochlear implants. I'm also a New Jerseyan. And, yeah, I've spent too much time on the Internet due to deafness. :lol: :wave:

Me? I'm a deaf guy who's looking for info on cochlear implants. I'm also a New Jerseyan. And, yeah, I've spent too much time on the Internet due to deafness. :lol: :wave:

That's rad. We have some NJ'ers around here apart of the normal posting crew. :cool2: "Stay awhile and listen!"

I'm NJ'an too :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back