50% of adults play videogames.

Well,,yes!! At 52 I have been playing video games for 30 years. First home game was Atari. I loved Frogger, Centipede, etc.

Now I am on Playstation 3 and playing Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction and Little Big Planet.

Like Bottesini, I have played video games for more than 30 years. Right now I have had XBOX 360 console with four controllers and I have played Call of Duty: World at War, NHL 09, NFL 09, NCAA Football 09, GoW2 and a few more cool games. :D

Well,,yes!! At 52 I have been playing video games for 30 years. First home game was Atari. I loved Frogger, Centipede, etc.

Now I am on Playstation 3 and playing Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction and Little Big Planet.

30 years, huh? You must had Atari 2600 in first place. You scream on Christmas, "The best gift... ever!"

Interesting statistics

I'm quite sure most adults would be well versed in the videogame world of this age. Some of the people in their 50's now were 20-30's when the amiga and nintendo and etc came out in the 70-80's, so it's more of a society boom during that time which may have lead them to play now, as progressed over the years.

The way I feel is that if you've never played a console or PC game your life from age 1 to 40-45 or something, chances are you aren't into games yourself, and are highly unlikely to get "into your game".

However, my personal opinion between the varying difference of gamers is that they should be split into tiers by how serious they play.

What I can think off the top of my head would be like:

Casual - ~10 hours a week, or a few hours every other day
Moderate - ~a few hours everyday
Aggressive - ~ 5 hours a day
Excessive (Serious) ~ 8+ hours a day

The serious generation of videogamers, read as hardcore gamers - these are most likely still at an all time minimum, a majority being multiplayer gamers. It's easy to point & discover them from MMORPGS, where generally the rewards you get are from the time you spent. Like having that level 80 WoW character with the best gears in that game, or a Final Fantasy 11 character with all jobs to 75, etc.

Some people do "game hopping", which is a term I coin, that isn't making it's way into mainstream yet. Game hopping refers to playing one game until you are tired of it, and jumping onto the next game. This can be broken down by hours, or from finishing one game to another.

But the way the gamer percentile (again, these are anecdotal figures that I personally cooked up from my opinion)

Casual - 70% of gamers
Moderate - 15% of gamers
Aggressive - 10% of gamers
Excessive - ~1-5% of gamers

My two cents I thought I'd share with everyone else.

Hmmm, that's very interesting! I'm more of a casual gamer. :) I remember my first console which was a NES back in 1989 and the orginal Game Boy in early 90's, I forget. Those were the days. I do wanna get a PS3, but it's expensive...so I'll wait for the price cuts and plus I need to get a HDTV, too.

same here! my first video game console was an atari 2600.

i'm 38, but don't play any video games because they're too addicting (for me). if i were to get a playstation or xbox 360, i *know* i'd spend all of my time in front of it instead of cleaning and completing my studies. :)

I'm not surprised. :)

I remember reading an article in a magazine talking about this years ago. They interviewed some high-level employees and found out that a lot of them were well-known top-level video gamers with Halo, Warcraft, etc.

There was a professor at RIT who was a level 60 priest in World of Warcraft and she's probably in her 40s or 50s. :eek:

ha ha I used to play atari 2600 and intellivison. When i was a kid, i loved intellivision (intelligent television) over atari. Just because of arari's joystick hurts my fingers. lol

My first video console.... Coleco Telstar Alpha!

Coleco_Telstar_Alpha.jpg

oldtelsatargame.png

My first videogame console was the Nes in 1990/1991 :)

My first good ol' days as a gamer on Super Mario Bros. 3 and is playing that again on Wii's virtual console.

It was proably the best super mario bros game ever made in the 8 bit days.

No surprise... Yeah Yesterday I saw it on tv news had mentioned about high percent of adults play videogames.

This jumped at me:

As a footnote, despite 9 percent of gamers (and 21 percent of teen gamers) claiming experience playing MMOs, a mere 2 percent of gamers reported entering virtual worlds like Second Life.

I'm logging in now. :lol:

Yup, it's cheaper to buy game console than n 80's and 90's.

I am so addicted to play different games on xbox360 and started learning to play games on PS3.... it's sooo much fun and very easy to stay home and play games. It also helps to save money for next games or for the bills to be paid. Since the gas prices went up and didn't want to go out driving around for nothing. :)

I am so addicted to play different games on xbox360 and started learning to play games on PS3.... it's sooo much fun and very easy to stay home and play games. It also helps to save money for next games or for the bills to be paid. Since the gas prices went up and didn't want to go out driving around for nothing. :)

Gas prices are now around $1.30 or so here so yeah it's alot better now.

Back