3 year old with cochears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wirelessly posted

I wish someone explain that to the judge when he threaten to take custody away from the father if he doesn't force his daughter to wear CI.

Yep. We need advocates in family court.

Right. I had surgeries a few times in the past. I still think about it and it makes me cringe anyway even though its my own body. :shock:

Yeah this youtube video has been posted here last year and the thread was locked. :mad2:

Sorry didn't know a friend shared this with me had never seen it before. What does locked mean?

Sorry didn't know a friend shared this with me had never seen it before. What does locked mean?

people actually took that guy seriously. He was just making a point. It goes to show you gotta be careful what come out of your mouth (or hands..).

Locked means people couldn't make comment or post anymore.

people actually took that guy seriously. He was just making a point. It goes to show you gotta be careful what come out of your mouth (or hands..).

Locked means people couldn't make comment or post anymore.

Gotcha, oops

I personally liked the video once watched all the way through

Gotcha, oops

I personally liked the video once watched all the way through

yes the thread was pretty out of control and all of a sudden thread got locked. I liked the video and it gave the excellent reserve psychology.

Wirelessly posted

I think it natural to fix if a child is in pain...CI or broken leg.

Who is in pain from the child's deafness? The parents.

I was never in pain from my deafness until I became brainwashed into thinking that I was defective due to my deafness. Now, that is serious emotional pain which was TOTALLY unecessary.

Positive reinforcement is not the way to address a behavior you want to reduce.

And how do you know the child is not in pain, especially when he does not have the language to communicate that? You judge by his behavior. Crying and pulling the CI off is indicative of a child without language reacting to pain and/or discomfort.

You are making huge assumptions. I was responding to the OP who said that the child is pulling off his implants.

Again, I would not have ever allowed my child to get to age 3 without language.

I was never in pain from my deafness until I became brainwashed into thinking that I was defective due to my deafness. Now, that is serious emotional pain which was TOTALLY unecessary.

And that is why no parent here is doing that. I don't understand the purpose of comments like this. Are you saying that we (as parents) are doing this? Are you mad at your parents? Tell them, not us. We don't tell our children "I'll tell you later", or "It doesn't matter". We don't allow our children to left out at family gatherings. We don't allow them to struggle in mainstream classes trying to lipread all day. We don't let them be the only deaf kid. We are doing the right things, and you are still angry.

You are making huge assumptions. I was responding to the OP who said that the child is pulling off his implants.

Again, I would not have ever allowed my child to get to age 3 without language.

I was 3 before speaking. I was not even babbling as a baby. My parents said that after 2 very loud and rambunctious boys, they were happy to have a quiet girl. They didn't realize that I was totally silent due to the noise my brothers made. It took someone at church to inform my father. That's when my parents became aware. My father was a college professor at the time and was not home often due to the demands of the college. Mom was busy with a lot of the social functions required of the "Professor's wife". The "nanny" we had could care less. She had a crush on my father and never told my mother anything about us.

A friend of my father's was a child psychologist and and his advice was to send my brother's to my grandparents for a summer and I would be speaking before 2 months was over. The boys were sent away and I had a full vocabulary within 2 months. My speech was never real clear and no one could figure out why. I was sent to all different kinds of people, but no one could explain my sloppy speech. My mother took over and worked diligently with all the exercises she had from her diction lessons for singing, that my speech cleared up. My parents knew nothing about any speech therapy or anything available. This was in Conway Arkansas during 1963-1966.

I was 3 before speaking. I was not even babbling as a baby.......

A friend of my father's was a child psychologist and and his advice was to send my brother's to my grandparents for a summer and I would be speaking before 2 months was over. The boys were sent away and I had a full vocabulary within 2 months.......

Very similar situation. I was at least 2 before I was speaking, and not even babbling as a baby, either. That was what clued my parents in.

Once I got started with a speech therapist (at the same time as ASL) I was totally caught up within just a few months. At least that's what I'm always told.

Wirelessly posted

I think it is so stupid to ask people to send a family member away. I'm sorry, but I just do.

Wirelessly posted

I think it is so stupid to ask people to send a family member away. I'm sorry, but I just do.

Well, the psychologist found that my brothers were assuming what I was wanting and instead of making me try to say it, would get it for me. With my brothers there, I had no reason to talk. That's the only reason he suggested to let my brother's spend a summer with the grandparents. They got to spend it at the chicken farm and had a ball.

Wirelessly posted

My grandmother in the 1930s was sent away because she was messy. At 79 years old, she has a serious issue with keeping an extremely extremely clean house. It is amazing how these things happen.

Wirelessly posted

KristinaB said:
deafgal001 said:

Well, the psychologist found that my brothers were assuming what I was wanting and instead of making me try to say it, would get it for me. With my brothers there, I had no reason to talk. That's the only reason he suggested to let my brother's spend a summer with the grandparents. They got to spend it at the chicken farm and had a ball.

I can't imagine sending my son away because some professional told me to. Family comes first.

Last edited:
And that is why no parent here is doing that. I don't understand the purpose of comments like this. Are you saying that we (as parents) are doing this? Are you mad at your parents? Tell them, not us. We don't tell our children "I'll tell you later", or "It doesn't matter". We don't allow our children to left out at family gatherings. We don't allow them to struggle in mainstream classes trying to lipread all day. We don't let them be the only deaf kid. We are doing the right things, and you are still angry.

Don't take everything that is said personally. Every thread is not about you and your child.

One of my first realizations when the audi gave me my son's diagnosis was that nothing had changed for him. He was just fine with this. It was me who needed to deal with my feelings, and not project them onto him. I was the one that things had changed for.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

jillio said:

Don't take everything that is said personally. Every thread is not about you and your child.

and yet, this thread was about a three year with CIs that was taking them off. My comment was less out of place than shel's unless shel was aiming the comments at the parents of today.

Wirelessly posted

and yet, this thread was about a three year with CIs that was taking them off. My comment was less out of place than shel's unless shel was aiming the comments at the parents of today.

Everything is not about you.

This game of whose comment is more appropriate is absurd and totally non-productive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back