22 year old male, hard of hearing.

SilasBotwin

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm a 22 year old male from around Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

I recently started losing my hearing and am now considered hard of hearing. My doctor says there are no signs of slowing and if it doesn't stop I'll eventually be 100% deaf.

So I've started learning ASL. I was wondering if there was anyone who would be interested in helping me out with it. Maybe skype, or if you live in my area. I'm really easy to get along with, I like to have fun and I'm excited to learn. I'm going to take an ASL course when school starts again but I thought it would be nice to connect with someone in the deaf community as well.

Hello welcome to alldeaf?

how do you interesting motivating to ASL? goal?!

Hello!
Thank you for sharing your story! My name is Elizabeth, and I am currently trying to re-learn ASL myself. Since we are both partially hearing, perhaps we could be of assistance to each other during the learning process? Send me a msg, let me know :D

Welcome to alldeaf as it nice forum i just came last week to it, i'm from Ontario too and 100% born deaf. I don't skype. I near toronto just by a couple hour away and been there. it nice!!. ASL i love. I use a lot

Hello!
Thank you for sharing your story! My name is Elizabeth, and I am currently trying to re-learn ASL myself. Since we are both partially hearing, perhaps we could be of assistance to each other during the learning process? Send me a msg, let me know :D

Hello Elizabeth, :wave: I can let know you! :)

Weeds fan, huh? lol
I'm in Toronto, summer isn't a good time for me to get together I'm afraid, my kids are out of school. I'm hearing but going into the Deaf studies program at George brown, as are a few other AD members.
Nice to meet you!

Hello SilasBotwin and welcome to AllDeaf

I am sure one of us would be happy to share with you about ASL which you want to learn to sign. Because you have mentioned that you're losing your hearing and you want to learn to sign.

American Sign Language is a good goal for you, since I understand that you are from Toronto, Ontario, Canada and I know that Canada does not have its own "Canadian" sign language.

According to some historical document for Canadian Deaf culture, the majority of culturally Deaf anglophone residents in Canada uses ASL, which - despite its name - has become a truly "continental" language today. In the very long past, British Sign Language (BSL) and French Langue des Signes Française (LSF) was used in Canada but now it had virtually disappeared.

I would be glad to share you the ASL on Skype.

I have a question for ya, have you ever heard of NTID- National Technical Institute for the Deaf? This college is located about 4 to 5.5 hours drive to Rochester, NY from your home city? The reason why I ask, if you go to this college, you can learn a great deal of ASL and even the Deaf Culture Studies as well.

Back