2015 Iditarod who follows that epic dog sled race?

Kai Onca

Reaction score
Day one has begun!

The Iditarod is one of the epic dog sled race that takes many days to finish and many teams dont even finish

Im putting my money on 4 men... the 2 Mackeys and 2 Seaveys either one or both for the win/2nd place.

Anyone else interested? Didnt know to either put this in sports section or pets.

I read about some years ago,read about Susan Butcher.

But I don't really follow it.

They did not have enough snow , I wish we could had send our to them.
I don't follow it, I hope the dogs enjoy doing this , I always wonder about this.

Yeah, that would be good - give them our snow too!

My understanding about sled dogs like those in the Iditarod is - they are born and bred to run. These are usually Alaskan Huskies <not same as "Siberian" seen mostly in dog shows today> - these ones like in Iditarod are actually mixes of many dogs they are bred for races like this. In the off-season when not racing the handlers and kennel operators try to still get these dogs running <if not too warm for them> by pulling an ATV or some other type of vehicle with the engine off. The Alaskan Husky would generally - not - be suitable for average "pet" households.
Huskies in general as a type of dog are independent and tend to want to be doing something strenuous and active; they can be diggers and climbers and have a strong desire to pull -anything.

There has been controversy with this and other similar races because of some of the practices - especially in earlier years - of really being harsh with the dogs, and issues with dog injuries and pushing them too hard as well as some environmental concerns.

Day one has begun!

The Iditarod is one of the epic dog sled race that takes many days to finish and many teams dont even finish

Im putting my money on 4 men... the 2 Mackeys and 2 Seaveys either one or both for the win/2nd place.

Anyone else interested? Didnt know to either put this in sports section or pets.
http://iditarod.com/photo/

That's one? I never knew it's still alive today. Cool.

Back