2 Teenage boys lost off Florida coast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did they ended up in Bermuda Triangle? :Ohno:

I am at a loss... if boating is a way of life for thwir area, it is something they are taught from a young age... and if memory severs properly I believe the news said that one or both the boys had boating certs... why would this not be okay?
Parents have to let their kids have a childhood... climb a tree, go out on a boat, go hunting or fishing, or any of the numerous things kids do... something other than sitting at home playing video games... sure it's safer, and yeah this is a potential downfall... but still ... why must parents always say no... if it is something that they are around they will sneak out to do it anyway... teach them, let them know the risks... that way when they go out you have a better chance of finding them... safe... I know it has not and most likely will not be in this case... but it does not change my feelings on the matter...

Did you read post # 37 ??? It said other boats were getting out the water b/c of the weather ???? This why I said the parents should had said "No way!" I told not to go the beach during a T storm let alone go in the water. :roll:

Did you read post # 37 ??? It said other boats were getting out the water b/c of the weather ???? This why I said the parents should had said "No way!" I told not to go the beach during a T storm let alone go in the water. :roll:

Hmmm.... how does saying no help?

Quoted from
http://m.dailykos.com/story/2015/07...days-off-coast-of-Florida-Boat-found-Capsized

From Perry Cohen's stepfather:

Nick Korniloff, Perry's stepfather, said both boys were experienced boaters and fishermen. He said the family had rules about where Perry could take a boat without adult supervision.

'We requested when he was out in the water, that he fish the river and Intracoastal (Waterway)," he said Monday on "New Day" "He could go as far as the rocks and inlet."

Perry was told not to go into the ocean unless he was in a bigger boat and had an adult with him, Korniloff said.

Hmmm.... how does saying no help?

Quoted from
http://m.dailykos.com/story/2015/07...days-off-coast-of-Florida-Boat-found-Capsized

From Perry Cohen's stepfather:

Nick Korniloff, Perry's stepfather, said both boys were experienced boaters and fishermen. He said the family had rules about where Perry could take a boat without adult supervision.

'We requested when he was out in the water, that he fish the river and Intracoastal (Waterway)," he said Monday on "New Day" "He could go as far as the rocks and inlet."

Perry was told not to go into the ocean unless he was in a bigger boat and had an adult with him, Korniloff said.

Something went horribly wrong with the boys , and sadly it looks like the stepfather was wrong about the boys "being experienced boaters and fishermen" And 14 boys are not men they're still a boy. There is no way 14 boys can have the same kind of experience as a 41 yo fisherman .

"In calm situations, teenagers can rationalize almost as well as adults. But stress can hijack what Ron Dahl, a pediatrician and child psychiatric researcher at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center calls "hot cognition" and decision-making. The frontal lobes help put the brakes on a desire for thrills and taking risk -- a building block of adolescence; but, they're also one of the last areas of the brain to develop fully." This could had happen to the boys, they may panic and lost control of the boat . We'll never know what really went wrong .And this really does not matter at this point . There are 2 families that have no idea if their sons are alive or dead and this any parents worst nightmare . :( What we think does not
change anything. We should really be thinking about what the families are going through right now and hope there will be a happy ending to this story b/c that is what we would all want if this was our child.

http://www.edinformatics.com/news/teenage_brains.htm

I think what's more likely is that they hit a wave, fell into the water without life jackets and drowned...possibly taken by sharks or just sank to the bottom. God help them and their families; it was a preventable tragedy...they never should have been in the boat alone, I don't care how "experienced" they were.

Laura

There are 2 families that have no idea if their sons are alive or dead and this any parents worst nightmare . :( What we think does not
change anything. We should really be thinking about what the families are going through right now and hope there will be a happy ending to this story b/c that is what we would all want if this was our child.

On this we agree, which is why I was curious over your comment ... Will not let me quote ... when you stated that this was tragic and would not happen if the parents said no way.

Thread closed per OP's request.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back