2 Routers and 2 ip addresses

bluehawk

Reaction score
I would like to put one ip address on Sorenson router and one other different ip address on other router -Linksys..... Can I do that? but how?

Can you tell me the process of the details how it works? I will be appreciated if you do.

Thank you, bluehawk

I would like to put one ip address on Sorenson router and one other different ip address on other router -Linksys..... Can I do that? but how?

Can you tell me the process of the details how it works? I will be appreciated if you do.

Thank you, bluehawk

I doubt so.... You'll have to aquire 2nd cable, 2nd cable modem, 2nd cable payment.

If you daisy chained router to another router, It'll still get IP address originated from Sorenson router.

Catty

Piece of cake! And yes you can!

Thank you, bluehawk

Nope, that is not necessary. This method is best if you want add upload speed.

I doubt so.... You'll have to aquire 2nd cable, 2nd cable modem, 2nd cable payment.

If you daisy chained router to another router, It'll still get IP address originated from Sorenson router.

Catty

Get a darn switch! Do not use HUB because this will cause problems. Hook up switch from modem, then hook up 2 routers on that switch, and your all set! (That is *IF* you already have 2 IP addresses assigned by ISP)

I can? how? can you teach me, diehardbiker?

thanks

Get a darn switch! Do not use HUB because this will cause problems. Hook up switch from modem, then hook up 2 routers on that switch, and your all set! (That is *IF* you already have 2 IP addresses assigned by ISP)

I tried to do that what diehardbiker said but it wont work...... I hope more details to set them up before i go back to work on those 2 routers and a switch many thanks bluehawk

primary router= faster if you add secondary router= it go slow prob 1/2 off the speed... the ip on primary 192.168.1.1 secondary should be about 192.168.2.1

i suggest just buy one big router come with like 24 ports plus wan port

If he is leasing a second ip from his ISP and all he need to do is access the routers and assign the ip address in both router firmware that was provided to him from his ISP and connect both routers to a switch.

Some modem requires bridging to be enabled so it doesn't try to request a IP from ISP instead bridge it to the routers so ISP may need to turn it on in the modem.

It might be easier for him not to use the VP router at all but assign the ip inside VP itself and assign the second ip to linksys router firmware then linksys router and VP to a switch.

This is not necessary.

What was supposed to be done is in sequence.

First get 2nd IP address from ISP, then hook up cable modem to the switch then hook up switch to first router. Do not add 2nd router at this time
Do a hard power cycle, by turning off modem, switch and 1st modem and turn the Modem on FIRST, allow 2 minutes before turning the switch, allow 1 min before turning on the 1st router. Then hook up computer to 1st router and confirm that 1st IP address has been assigned to 1st router.
THEN add 2nd router to the switch, then disconnect computer from 1st router and connect to 2nd router and check make sure the IP address assigned are different than the first one. Then your done.

Remember, this has to be done in sequence in order for them to work.

If he is leasing a second ip from his ISP and all he need to do is access the routers and assign the ip address in both router firmware that was provided to him from his ISP and connect both routers to a switch.

Some modem requires bridging to be enabled so it doesn't try to request a IP from ISP instead bridge it to the routers so ISP may need to turn it on in the modem.

It might be easier for him not to use the VP router at all but assign the ip inside VP itself and assign the second ip to linksys router firmware then linksys router and VP to a switch.

This is not necessary.

What was supposed to be done is in sequence.

First get 2nd IP address from ISP, then hook up cable modem to the switch then hook up switch to first router. Do not add 2nd router at this time
Do a hard power cycle, by turning off modem, switch and 1st modem and turn the Modem on FIRST, allow 2 minutes before turning the switch, allow 1 min before turning on the 1st router. Then hook up computer to 1st router and confirm that 1st IP address has been assigned to 1st router.
THEN add 2nd router to the switch, then disconnect computer from 1st router and connect to 2nd router and check make sure the IP address assigned are different than the first one. Then your done.

Remember, this has to be done in sequence in order for them to work.

And if the house get a blackout or he moves routers or comptuer then he will have to repeat that step everytime to make sure the correct router get the correct ips by turning them on in sequence.

It is far more easier to assign an ip to each router or if his goal is 1 ip for network computers and 1 ip just for VP then don't use a router on VP just assign ip in VP itself and he doesn't have to mess with port forwarding or DMZ.

Your idea is not possible because most of ISP assigned IP using DHCP protocol, that is why I recommended this way, and guess what? I have system like this for years already (3 IP), and problem? very rarely!

And if the house get a blackout or he moves routers or comptuer then he will have to repeat that step everytime to make sure the correct router get the correct ips by turning them on in sequence.

It is far more easier to assign an ip to each router or if his goal is 1 ip for network computers and 1 ip just for VP then don't use a router on VP just assign ip in VP itself and he doesn't have to mess with port forwarding or DMZ.

I have a D-Link -604 router that has 4 ports on it. I'm happy with it. But, I found to be disappointed that the company does not have many ports for wired D-Links.

I have a VP-200, Ojo, a HP printer, and two Mac computers. But, I need one more port for the Ojo.

I read your post that you suggested to get a router that has many ports like 16 or 24 ports. I am confused that there are two different routers: a regular router and a router with switch. Two routers have 10/100 MB and 10/100/1000 GB. Should I get 10/100/1000 GB instead of 10/100 MB for a Broadband router? Wouldn't it be a waste if I buy a GB router? Wouldn't be no difference if I use the GB router for a non-server - for my computers?

Another issue, I might plan to drill some holes on the floor in the closet for the ethernets that go to the basement and hook them to the router and cable modem. I'm sick of the green tiny lights on these devices in my bedroom when I go to sleep. I like to sleep in the dark. I really don't know if it is a good idea to leave them on all the times.

I tried a D-Links switcher, and it was not successful. I put it away in the basement somewhere that I cannot find it. I may think that this switcher is not compatible with my Apple computer.

I have a D-Link -604 router that has 4 ports on it. I'm happy with it. But, I found to be disappointed that the company does not have many ports for wired D-Links.

I have a VP-200, Ojo, a HP printer, and two Mac computers. But, I need one more port for the Ojo.

I read your post that you suggested to get a router that has many ports like 16 or 24 ports. I am confused that there are two different routers: a regular router and a router with switch. Two routers have 10/100 MB and 10/100/1000 GB. Should I get 10/100/1000 GB instead of 10/100 MB for a Broadband router? Wouldn't it be a waste if I buy a GB router? Wouldn't be no difference if I use the GB router for a non-server - for my computers?

Another issue, I might plan to drill some holes on the floor in the closet for the ethernets that go to the basement and hook them to the router and cable modem. I'm sick of the green tiny lights on these devices in my bedroom when I go to sleep. I like to sleep in the dark. I really don't know if it is a good idea to leave them on all the times.

I tried a D-Links switcher, and it was not successful. I put it away in the basement somewhere that I cannot find it. I may think that this switcher is not compatible with my Apple computer.

then your imac need to be set as wireless, if you have wireless router.

then your imac need to be set as wireless, if you have wireless router.

I have not interested in buying a wireless router. I don't have a problem with the wires, and it is a little pain the neck but I can make them neatly. I don't like the radio airwaves in my house. It has nothing to do with the hack situation. It is just my preference.

Don't you think that it is worth it to buy a 10/100/1000 GB router with 16 or 24 ports?

Don't you think that the GB router with many ports makes more electricity than MB router's power? I do care about my electric bill. My electric company's service fee will be increased in January 2008 - That's second time this year. What the f..k!

If this GB router has about 10 percent more electricity, then I guess that would be ok.

I have not interested in buying a wireless router. I don't have a problem with the wires, and it is a little pain the neck but I can make them neatly. I don't like the radio airwaves in my house. It has nothing to do with the hack situation. It is just my preference.

then get 2nd router...

DHCP server must to be disabled on 2nd router and hook in 4th of port, not WAN port.

2 Routers and 2 ip addresses of pix

how it work with 2 Routers and 2 ip addresses

Attachments

• 2 Routers and 2 ip addresses.jpg
    2 Routers and 2 ip addresses.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 18
Back