10 year celebration

ITPjohn

SAC Class of 05
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Deaf social group at Fayette Mall in Lexington, Ky will be having a tenth anniversary celebration in the mall's Food Court on the first Friday of March (3/2/07) from 6-9PM. You can PM me or e-mail deafchuck@tmail.com for more details. I'll try to get more info at it gets closer. Hope to see you there.

Ah, Thanks for sharing this news. It's already 10 years? Unbelieveable. I hope to be there (no guarantees though) ;)

ITPJohn - I wasn't sure if you are aware of this article. It was published in the Lexington's Herald Leader newspaper yesterday. Anyway, I just wanted to share this.

Lexington Herald-Leader | 02/10/2007 | Food court is deaf community center

Food court is deaf community center
ALL AGES GATHER TO CONNECT -- EVEN FIND LOVE
By Barbara Isaacs
HERALD-LEADER STAFF WRITER

Ed Richardson, 83, wore a hat that says UK in American Sign Language.
More photosIt's like every other social gathering, with plenty of hugs, smiles, waves and non-stop chatter.

But at the Silent Social, there's no noisy din -- the greetings and conversations are all in American Sign Language.

Two Friday evenings a month for nearly a decade, Central Kentucky's deaf community -- black and white, from babies to senior citizens -- has gathered at the Fayette Mall food court.

On a recent Friday, the event drew more than 70 people, most of them deaf or hard of hearing. The social usually draws at least a few dozen deaf people and also a sprinkling of hearing people who know American Sign Language, such as people who teach area deaf students or who work as American Sign Language interpreters.

For many of the attendees, the event is a long-standing tradition and a social focal point.

"When we meet, it's like our calendar," said Lexington's Chuck Whitlow, 49, a deaf man who speaks and signs. "It's how we know what's going to happen. It's a community center."

Paula Wiese, now director of the Blue Grass Council of the Blind, was one of the founders of the social.

Ten years ago, she was taking a class in American Sign Language at Lexington Community College. She and other students in the class set up the first social, which was held on the first Friday of March 1997, as a class assignment. The idea was to give the students a chance to practice American Sign Language and interact with deaf people.

The deaf community embraced the concept, and the gathering has been held on the first and third Fridays of every month since.

Lexington's Kimberly Fugate, 18, a senior at Dunbar High School, can hardly remember a time when she didn't attend the social -- she's been a regular attendee since the fifth grade.

"I think it's important for me to come," Fugate said. "I'm proud of my culture and proud to be deaf. It shows people in public that we can get out and do things."

Fugate, like many deaf people, speaks and signs; she generally does both at the same time. Most people at the Silent Social just sign because that's the idea: conversing without speaking.

"People think if you sign, you can't talk," Fugate said. "It bothers me when people misinterpret that."

Romances have budded here -- there are always lots of teens and college-age kids in attendance, Wiese said.

The Silent Social also draws multiple generations, even within the same family.

Kimberly Yarnell, 20, of Danville, comes to the social not only to see friends but also to hang out with her extended family who are deaf.

"My mom, uncle, sister -- the whole family is here," Yarnell said. "We're a totally deaf family." Yarnell has her two sons with her, Garrin, 2, and Gavin, 2 months. Both of the children can hear; she's amazed that both she and her sister have hearing children.

Yarnell said the social is a family tradition now.

"We are a proud deaf family," she said. "That's how we keep the culture alive and keep deaf culture alive," she said of the frequent gatherings.

Oscar Hamilton, 68, a Lexington retiree, said he's rarely missed a social since it began.

"Really, it keeps us together," he said. "We learn so much from each other. You see new faces and meet new people."

The event is also a resource for people who serve deaf people, such as Andy Warmack, 39, who works with the deaf ministry at Lexington's Immanuel Baptist Church. "The deaf community is pretty small, and they like to take advantage of this," Warmack said. He said it's also a useful way of getting information out to the deaf community.

American Sign Language students still use the gathering as a resource. Christa Harmon, 23, of Waddy, is a Kentucky State University student who is taking an American Sign Language class. She said she's been to the social several times and people have been willing to help her learn. "It's been a really good experience," she said.twice a month, there's a 'silent social' at the mall.

IF YOU GO

Silent Social

What: Gathering of deaf people and hearing people interested in American Sign Language

When: About 6 or 6:30 p.m., first and third Fridays of every month

Where: Fayette Mall food court

Food court is deaf community center

Lexington Herald-Leader | 02/10/2007 | Food court is deaf community center

It's like every other social gathering, with plenty of hugs, smiles, waves and non-stop chatter.

But at the Silent Social, there's no noisy din -- the greetings and conversations are all in American Sign Language.

Two Friday evenings a month for nearly a decade, Central Kentucky's deaf community -- black and white, from babies to senior citizens -- has gathered at the Fayette Mall food court.

On a recent Friday, the event drew more than 70 people, most of them deaf or hard of hearing. The social usually draws at least a few dozen deaf people and also a sprinkling of hearing people who know American Sign Language, such as people who teach area deaf students or who work as American Sign Language interpreters.

For many of the attendees, the event is a long-standing tradition and a social focal point.

"When we meet, it's like our calendar," said Lexington's Chuck Whitlow, 49, a deaf man who speaks and signs. "It's how we know what's going to happen ... It's a community center."

Paula Wiese, now director of the Blue Grass Council of the Blind, was one of the founders of the social.

Ten years ago, she was taking a class in American Sign Language at Lexington Community College. She and other students in the class set up the first social, which was held on the first Friday of March 1997, as a class assignment. The idea was to give the students a chance to practice American Sign Language and interact with deaf people.

The deaf community embraced the concept, and the gathering has been held on the first and third Fridays of every month since.

Lexington's Kimberly Fugate, 18, a senior at Dunbar High School, can hardly remember a time when she didn't attend the social -- she's been a regular attendee since the fifth grade.

"I think it's important for me to come," Fugate said. "I'm proud of my culture and proud to be deaf. It shows people in public that we can get out and do things."

Fugate, like many deaf people, speaks and signs; she generally does both at the same time. Most people at the Silent Social just sign because that's the idea: conversing without speaking.

"People think if you sign, you can't talk," Fugate said. "It bothers me when people misinterpret that."

Romances have budded here -- there are always lots of teens and college-age kids in attendance, Wiese said.

The Silent Social also draws multiple generations, even within the same family.

Kimberly Yarnell, 20, of Danville, comes to the social not only to see friends but also to hang out with her extended family who are deaf.

"My mom, uncle, sister -- the whole family is here," Yarnell said. "We're a totally deaf family." Yarnell has her two sons with her, Garrin, 2, and Gavin, 2 months. Both of the children can hear; she's amazed that both she and her sister have hearing children.

Yarnell said the social is a family tradition now.

"We are a proud deaf family," she said. "That's how we keep the culture alive and keep deaf culture alive," she said of the frequent gatherings.

Oscar Hamilton, 68, a Lexington retiree, said he's rarely missed a social since it began.

"Really, it keeps us together," he said. "We learn so much from each other. You see new faces and meet new people."

The event is also a resource for people who serve deaf people, such as Andy Warmack, 39, who works with the deaf ministry at Lexington's Immanuel Baptist Church. "The deaf community is pretty small, and they like to take advantage of this," Warmack said. He said it's also a useful way of getting information out to the deaf community.

American Sign Language students still use the gathering as a resource. Christa Harmon, 23, of Waddy, is a Kentucky State University student who is taking an American Sign Language class. She said she's been to the social several times and people have been willing to help her learn. "It's been a really good experience," she said.twice a month, there's a 'silent social' at the mall

IF YOU GO

Silent Social

What: Gathering of deaf people and hearing people interested in American Sign Language

When: About 6 or 6:30 p.m., first and third Fridays of every month

Where: Fayette Mall food court

Made the paper!

Jolie and Miss D,

Thanks for the article. :ty:

I'm working 12 hour weekend shifts, so I didn't see it earlier. I'll see Deaf Chuck on Friday and try to get more details about the anniversary celebration.

Party's tomorrow

Tomorrow is the big day. I plan to find and clean up the t-shirt that my avatar is from later this morning. Don't have to work Saturday, so I'll be staying at the mall until security throws us out. May even go to the restaurant afterwards. Hope to see you there.

Attachments

• JohnProfile.JPG
    JohnProfile.JPG
    2.2 KB · Views: 3
Thank you so much for this info. I would very much like to go but, March 1-4 I am a nanny for my friends. I would definitely like to go the next one. I can't help but wonder if I will feel lost as I do not know sign language. I realize now though that it is important for me to have deaf friends. So on this note I am up for some suggestions. I really miss going to church and I haven't even had my children going. I hope for a church with visuals until I learn how to sign. I am very excited about making some friends my age and maybe my children having some friends their age to learn from. My children are 12 boy, 9 girl, and 4 girl. My husband is very shy and is not sure about this whole thing. Anyway, please would someone keep me posted on events coming up and definitely about the next Fayette Mall social. Thanks, Tammy

Went last night and the food court was PACKED. Chuck said there was about 150 people for the Deaf Social. :eek3: That's three times the normal crowd. It reminded me of the DeaFestival in Louisville last summer. Good thing that I'm not claustrophobic. You couldn't move without bumping into someone. Finally got to meet someone from AD. Jolie recognized my t-shirt and we got to chat for a few minutes. :)

Gawsh, That place was so packed and I couldn't even try to get through the crowd from one side to other side. I don't think the people at the mall has ever saw a HUGE group of deaf people being together at once, haha! While I was observing, I kept seeing that there were some few hearing lookers at the mall that were "curious" and watching how us deaf folks and signers were doing, so and on that. It was a great night and I had a wonderful time.

It was nice to get to meet you there at the social last night, ITPJohn even though it was really a short conversation! But, neverthenless, It was a pleasant meet and hope to get to chat a bit longer the next time when there's another social that swings by.

Back