AllDeaf.com
Mobile - Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Community > Current Events > War & Political News
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-15-2010, 06:49 PM   #61 (permalink)
Retired Terp
 
Reba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 45,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
Sure it can, on a collective basis. One way to measure would be the number of hate crimes per capita. Another would be per capita support for laws that validate racist behavior.
According to the FBI stats of hate crimes per capita, Arizona is NOT one of the most racist states.

Hate Crime Statistics in the United States - Hate Crime Statistics - Esquire
Reba is offline  
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on AllDeaf.com
   
Unread 06-15-2010, 07:20 PM   #62 (permalink)
FOX
 
Foxrac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Heart of Dixie
Posts: 39,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reba View Post
According to the FBI stats of hate crimes per capita, Arizona is NOT one of the most racist states.

Hate Crime Statistics in the United States - Hate Crime Statistics - Esquire
No, that what she wasn't talking about it.
__________________


Stewie is gun nut, right?
Patriot Guard Riders
Beware of NSA and they are sending manhunt to your home.
Foxrac is offline  
Unread 06-15-2010, 08:13 PM   #63 (permalink)
Audist are not welcome
 
shel90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A place where crabs are popular
Posts: 43,268
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reba View Post
According to the FBI stats of hate crimes per capita, Arizona is NOT one of the most racist states.

Hate Crime Statistics in the United States - Hate Crime Statistics - Esquire
As much I love the fact that I was born and raised in AZ...I still never forgot when the voters turned down making MLK a holiday.

I felt it was more racist there than here in Maryland. Just my two cents.
__________________
"Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it."

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline  
Unread 06-16-2010, 10:08 AM   #64 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reba View Post
According to the FBI stats of hate crimes per capita, Arizona is NOT one of the most racist states.

Hate Crime Statistics in the United States - Hate Crime Statistics - Esquire
I said that would be one measure. Relying on a single statistic to reach a conclusion is the way to reach an erroneous conclusion.
jillio is offline  
Unread 06-16-2010, 10:25 AM   #65 (permalink)
Retired Terp
 
Reba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 45,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
I said that would be one measure. Relying on a single statistic to reach a conclusion is the way to reach an erroneous conclusion.
So on what measures do you base this statement:

AllDeaf.com - View Single Post - racist behavior
Reba is offline  
Unread 06-16-2010, 10:29 AM   #66 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reba View Post
So on what measures do you base this statement:

AllDeaf.com - View Single Post - racist behavior
Didn't base it on any measures at all. It was an opinion arrived at through observation of several different instances. I only need to use "measures" if I am presenting a factual statement that is intended to be used as reference.

Surely you understand opinion formation.
jillio is offline  
Unread 06-16-2010, 10:30 AM   #67 (permalink)
Registered User
 
kokonut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,054
This should get interesting. Wonder what Bob Andweave will say?
__________________
Oh, goody. She's gone. No sign of her. Oh, yeahhhhh! And him, too. Sweet!

Man, what a total mess. What a big fail. I am just laughing at it all. Gotta have sense of humor in life.


Paranoia much? Run to Mama then.
kokonut is offline  
Unread 06-16-2010, 10:38 AM   #68 (permalink)
Retired Terp
 
Reba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 45,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
Didn't base it on any measures at all. It was an opinion arrived at through observation of several different instances. I only need to use "measures" if I am presenting a factual statement that is intended to be used as reference.

Surely you understand opinion formation.
Got it.

It was your opinion with no factual basis.
Reba is offline  
Unread 06-16-2010, 10:43 AM   #69 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reba View Post
Got it.

It was your opinion with no factual basis.
My opinion through observation. Never represented it as anything else. In fact, The first two words of my statement qualify it as such. Much the same as those you express without empirical support.
jillio is offline  
Unread 06-16-2010, 12:25 PM   #70 (permalink)
Retired Terp
 
Reba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 45,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
My opinion through observation. Never represented it as anything else. In fact, The first two words of my statement qualify it as such. Much the same as those you express without empirical support.
We were discussing your specific post. If you have a question or statement about a specific post of mine, please reference it, as I do your posts.
Reba is offline  
Unread 06-16-2010, 12:27 PM   #71 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reba View Post
We were discussing your specific post. If you have a question or statement about a specific post of mine, please reference it, as I do your posts.
No questions at all. Just saying you should have been able to infer what you demanded I explain, as it is something you do, as well.
jillio is offline  
Unread 06-16-2010, 12:43 PM   #72 (permalink)
Retired Terp
 
Reba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 45,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
No questions at all. Just saying you should have been able to infer what you demanded I explain, as it is something you do, as well.
Example?
Reba is offline  
Unread 06-16-2010, 01:19 PM   #73 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reba View Post
Example?
Anytime you express an opinion. Anytime you make a statement that cannot be supported with indisputable evidence. Let's see... a specific example? How about the posts you make that are of a more religious nature.
jillio is offline  
Unread 06-16-2010, 01:34 PM   #74 (permalink)
Retired Terp
 
Reba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 45,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
Anytime you express an opinion. Anytime you make a statement that cannot be supported with indisputable evidence. Let's see... a specific example? How about the posts you make that are of a more religious nature.
Well, there's a convenient topic for you to post knowing that no one can access the religious threads to disprove what you say, or to quote from them.

Some religion-themed posts are factual, and some are opinions. I usually start out with, "I believe" or "Baptists believe" or "Christians believe." Those are beliefs, not statistical figures, clearly. I also quoted Scripture, with references, and state, "the Bible says" or "in the Bible", which people can look up and verify the accuracy of in their own Bibles or using an on-line Bible.

If you notice, I usually start opinion posts with, "in my opinion", or include "IMO" or "just my opinion" in the text. I also use, "according to the report/source/link" to make it clear that it's another person's statement.

If there is ever a question about one of my statements I'm happy to clarify.
Reba is offline  
Unread 06-16-2010, 01:36 PM   #75 (permalink)
Potterhead and Janeite
 
sallylou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: My own private Idaho
Posts: 6,652
Ya'll want to debate the definition of "opinion"? I'm sure that I could come up with some lawyerly arguments about that.
__________________
sallylou is offline  
Unread 06-16-2010, 01:37 PM   #76 (permalink)
Potterhead and Janeite
 
sallylou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: My own private Idaho
Posts: 6,652
Opps! I put a question mark outside a quote. *looks around for grammar Nazis*
__________________
sallylou is offline  
Unread 06-16-2010, 01:52 PM   #77 (permalink)
Registered User
 
kokonut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallylou View Post
Opps! I put a question mark outside a quote. *looks around for grammar Nazis*
Hmmm....

Quotation Marks | Punctuation Rules
__________________
Oh, goody. She's gone. No sign of her. Oh, yeahhhhh! And him, too. Sweet!

Man, what a total mess. What a big fail. I am just laughing at it all. Gotta have sense of humor in life.


Paranoia much? Run to Mama then.
kokonut is offline  
Unread 06-17-2010, 01:09 PM   #78 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reba View Post
Well, there's a convenient topic for you to post knowing that no one can access the religious threads to disprove what you say, or to quote from them.

Some religion-themed posts are factual, and some are opinions. I usually start out with, "I believe" or "Baptists believe" or "Christians believe." Those are beliefs, not statistical figures, clearly. I also quoted Scripture, with references, and state, "the Bible says" or "in the Bible", which people can look up and verify the accuracy of in their own Bibles or using an on-line Bible.

If you notice, I usually start opinion posts with, "in my opinion", or include "IMO" or "just my opinion" in the text. I also use, "according to the report/source/link" to make it clear that it's another person's statement.

If there is ever a question about one of my statements I'm happy to clarify.
But they can access any of the abortion threads,which would serve the same purpose. And your reliously overtoned opinions are available all through threads of any topics. Scriptures are no more than anecdotal evidence. Certainly nothing empirical there. In fact, unless one states "empirical evidence shows" it should be known that it is opinion.
jillio is offline  
Unread 06-17-2010, 01:12 PM   #79 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallylou View Post
Ya'll want to debate the definition of "opinion"? I'm sure that I could come up with some lawyerly arguments about that.
Only ones that love to debate the definition of opinion are those that can't seen to find anything scholarly or empirical to denounce the opinion they don't like.
jillio is offline  
Unread 06-17-2010, 02:51 PM   #80 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reba View Post
Well, there's a convenient topic for you to post knowing that no one can access the religious threads to disprove what you say, or to quote from them.

Some religion-themed posts are factual, and some are opinions. I usually start out with, "I believe" or "Baptists believe" or "Christians believe." Those are beliefs, not statistical figures, clearly. I also quoted Scripture, with references, and state, "the Bible says" or "in the Bible", which people can look up and verify the accuracy of in their own Bibles or using an on-line Bible.

If you notice, I usually start opinion posts with, "in my opinion", or include "IMO" or "just my opinion" in the text. I also use, "according to the report/source/link" to make it clear that it's another person's statement.

If there is ever a question about one of my statements I'm happy to clarify[/B].
Regarding your earlier post about hate-crime statistics, is the FBI madly revising its opinion of Arizona?
Beowulf is offline  
Unread 06-17-2010, 03:02 PM   #81 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
Regarding your earlier post about hate-crime statistics, is the FBI madly revising its opinion of Arizona?
No doubt. Those stats are always a few years behind.
jillio is offline  
Unread 06-17-2010, 03:51 PM   #82 (permalink)
Retired Terp
 
Reba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 45,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
Regarding your earlier post about hate-crime statistics, is the FBI madly revising its opinion of Arizona?
Only if incidences of hate crimes have increased.
Reba is offline  
Unread 06-17-2010, 04:16 PM   #83 (permalink)
Retired Terp
 
Reba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 45,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
But they can access any of the abortion threads,which would serve the same purpose.
Fine. Anyone is welcome to do that, including you, if you want to cite one of my posts.

Quote:
And your reliously overtoned opinions are available all through threads of any topics. Scriptures are no more than anecdotal evidence. Certainly nothing empirical there.
You misunderstand. I didn't offer the Scripture examples for "empirical evidence" but for showing my sources so that readers would know from where I get my information. I have nothing to hide, and I welcome anyone looking up the verses for themselves to verify that I don't make up my sources. They can draw their own conclusions from their own interpretations.

Quote:
In fact, unless one states "empirical evidence shows" it should be known that it is opinion.
I never stated "empirical evidence shows", did I?

It's a fact when I state that John 3:16 says, "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life" in the King James Bible.

It's opinion when I give my interpretation or belief about that verse.

I hope that you aren't bringing up religious posts in an attempt to get this thread locked.
Reba is offline  
Unread 06-17-2010, 04:31 PM   #84 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Tousi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 16,778
I'll tell you what she wants, Reba; she wants/needs/must have the final say in anything. Control freak. No respect shown to those who have a different view.
Tousi is offline  
Unread 06-17-2010, 04:47 PM   #85 (permalink)
Retired Terp
 
Reba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 45,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tousi View Post
I'll tell you what she wants, Reba; she wants/needs/must have the final say in anything. Control freak.
I'm movin' on to other threads so as not to get this one locked.
Reba is offline  
Unread 06-17-2010, 04:49 PM   #86 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tousi View Post
I'll tell you what she wants, Reba; she wants/needs/must have the final say in anything. Control freak.
Tell you what, Tousi, we will give you the last word.
Beowulf is offline  
Unread 06-17-2010, 04:50 PM   #87 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Tousi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 16,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
Tell you what, Tousi, we will give you the last word.
Why, thanks, man; that'd be my first.
Tousi is offline  
Unread 06-17-2010, 11:00 PM   #88 (permalink)
Registered User
 
kokonut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tousi View Post
I'll tell you what she wants, Reba; she wants/needs/must have the final say in anything. Control freak. No respect shown to those who have a different view.
Amen!

Ok, now you can have the last word.

Word.
__________________
Oh, goody. She's gone. No sign of her. Oh, yeahhhhh! And him, too. Sweet!

Man, what a total mess. What a big fail. I am just laughing at it all. Gotta have sense of humor in life.


Paranoia much? Run to Mama then.
kokonut is offline  
Unread 06-17-2010, 11:48 PM   #89 (permalink)
Dream Weaver
 
TXgolfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 19,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonut View Post
Amen!

Ok, now you can have the last word.

Word.
Oh way to go.....you just took Tousi's last word........ D'oh
__________________
He who answers before listening-that is his folly and his shame..
TXgolfer is offline  
Unread 06-17-2010, 11:51 PM   #90 (permalink)
Registered User
 
kokonut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,054
No, seriously, i just gave Tousi my last word for him to use.

Word.
__________________
Oh, goody. She's gone. No sign of her. Oh, yeahhhhh! And him, too. Sweet!

Man, what a total mess. What a big fail. I am just laughing at it all. Gotta have sense of humor in life.


Paranoia much? Run to Mama then.
kokonut is offline  
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 PM.


Join AllDeaf on Facebook!    Follow us on Twitter!

AllDeaf proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2002-2014, AllDeaf.com. All Rights Reserved.