What kind of job do you have ?

I've been a butcher/meat cutter for 42 years. Currently I am a Meat Dept manager for a major Washington, DC area supermarket.

Are you deaf or hoh? I used to work as a cashier for a supermarket in my teenage years. I'm hoh and I remember having a hard time understanding customers, especially when the place got crowded.

I title myself as deaf, but depending on your definition of deaf I may be HoH.. I am deaf in my right ear and have a vsb implant but my hearing is still severe/profound hearing with it. I have mild/moderate hearing loss in my left ear and hopefully getting HA soon.

Yes, I struggle most when it gets busy. Or if I'm on certain registers the aoucstics seem to be different making it harder to understand customers.

Just curious to see if some of us still have regular jobs or have been unemployed due to our situation.

I'm HOH and have always had a job (at least since graduating high school)
Although there are some professions i can't do because of my hearing.

I currently read electric meters for a living. I walk an average of 12-16 miles everyday m-f

I am an out of work IT QA Tester...and looking.

I am not trying to be captious, you see because some people think that they don't have it fair because of a disability they have, everyone to me has a disability. Instead of looking for a job create jobs, become independent, become an entrepreneur. I have teamed up with members of the ASL community. If any of you meed help, it doesn't matter whether you are hearing, deaf, hard of hearing, or whatever. I believe anyone can do anything they set their minds to. It is better teaming and and working together.

I won't get into the 'teaming up with others' part as that's been covered already up there.

But will say regarding 'become an entrepreneur/start your own business!' angle. I hear this one A LOT... thing is not everyone is business minded and is willing (or want to) to do this. I don't want to because a) I am a huge introvert and b)I would have to spend more time networking/schmoozing with people which I totally fail at. and c) who knows maybe I'd be good at business courses I don't know but math is my stress point (I do know that's only a small part of starting a business).

Throw in the fact I am deaf. While there is nothing wrong with that (I grew up oral, learned ASL in college), you still have to face what's known as the real world out there and how most people react/act towards deaf people. It gets frustrating on both times and takes more time- time that could be spent...earning money.

I am a former Goodwill Great Lakes Naval Base worker, AND a former City of Chicago worker at O'Hare Airport. I have also had some experience teaching others learn how to use computers (with a certified instructor present), and also have had experience installing Ubuntu on desktops. Also have experience cleaning computers of private work information for donations, and that's something I truly enjoyed doing, as I learned a LOT of new stuff doing that. That is what got me interested in computers and technology today. :P And no private information was ever seen-- I only removed the software from desktops containing said information, and that's it.

Oh, and I forgot a couple of things: a former actor for ICODA (Alice in Wonderland in 2004) and the Thresholds Theater Arts Program (2010 full season, with travel to Woodstock, IL on opening night).

Last edited:
Graphic designer for me. I'm currently working for a big church.

It's Possible

How can any of us set their minds to anything in a world as HEARING as that in which we live in? Teaming up is not easy when the others have no intention in working together with the deaf individual; many will only see your deafness and never know how clever or capable you can be.
Not everyone is as "open-minded" as you say you are. What's it that you do? Let me know if I can join you.

Message me and we will talk. I believe there are many that are open-minded. You just have to look.

I am an out of work IT QA Tester...and looking.

I won't get into the 'teaming up with others' part as that's been covered already up there.

But will say regarding 'become an entrepreneur/start your own business!' angle. I hear this one A LOT... thing is not everyone is business minded and is willing (or want to) to do this. I don't want to because a) I am a huge introvert and b)I would have to spend more time networking/schmoozing with people which I totally fail at. and c) who knows maybe I'd be good at business courses I don't know but math is my stress point (I do know that's only a small part of starting a business).

Throw in the fact I am deaf. While there is nothing wrong with that (I grew up oral, learned ASL in college), you still have to face what's known as the real world out there and how most people react/act towards deaf people. It gets frustrating on both times and takes more time- time that could be spent...earning money.

I understand your point. Message me and we will get more into it. I know that not everyone has the business mindset. I didn't. Once i met people, and learned, I realized everyone can do it, but not everyone will.

It's Possible

I agree..I work with hearing people and the ignorance is just absurd! Also, these are college educated professionals and yet, they treat me like I am not as capable as they are. Luckily my supervisor and my mentor don't treat me that way so that's why I ignore the other people who talk to me like I am a child or dumb. I talk back to them like they are dumb and don't make any effort to go out of my way to chat with them. I keep it to a minimum as much as I can. I seek those who treat me with respect and there are a precious few of them at my work. It is unfortunate that it is not the other way around.

You are right, there are all sorts of people out there that are ignorant. I was ignorant at some point because I had no idea there was such thing as a Deaf, ASL, HOH, or any similar community. Once I learned, I realized it is a group of people with a similar trait that stick together. I can hear sounds through my ears, does that mean I am better than anyone else. Of course not. If you don't like the people around you, then surround yourself with people that will respect you and challenge you to always grow and become better at anything and everything you do. Communication between the people that can ear and those that can't is only an obstacle...it does make it hard to communicate and fully understand each other. The solution for that is for us both to work together and become harder and better than our obstacles. Not everyone is willing to try, those that do, are going to be the ones to have to educate everyone else.

Are you saying I am "Youthful and ignorant"?

Yes, I am. The old saying "walk a mile in my shoes" really is very true.

Having never experienced what happens in the world when one is deaf, you have no idea what you are talking about.

What you are saying is very dismissive of the true challenges.

Im a delivery driver for a worldwide delivery company. Before that worked as many jobs I could land. I notice a enthusiastic and positive and intellect thinking appeals to employers .. deaf does not have to prevent jobs. Unless u let it. Sure the challenge is harder but it sure creates a cool personality.

Whenever I applied for an odd job (dishwasher, food preparer, etc) a long time ago, usually the interviewer (manager) asked how I could hear his/her instructions. (The interview was done by writing.) That turned me off.

Sorry to butt in the conversation. I am studying to be a nurse, and if that doesn't work out then clinical lab technician. RN is trickier, but there are areas of nursing that don't require actual patient contact. But I was a Certified Nursing Assistant for a while, and I did okay. It was extremely difficult, but I took great pride in the fact I was doing it. Before that I was a magazine writer for two different companies. I was let go and that's why I'm back in school to study nursing.

aircraft mechanic for airline. 18+ years now.
work on 777 / 767 / 757 / 737 and MD-80 (hate working on those, they are so hard to service.) going to school soon for Scarebus (Airbus) and 787.

International auditor at UPS.

Assistant instructor japanese Go Ju ryu karate do, seiwa kai goshukan
Any deafie in niagara want come.dojo...pm me

Last edited:
Back