What is the meaning of "self-moderation"?

K

kuifje75

In the recent weeks, my duty as a moderator has become increasingly difficult. Several members have become rather uncivil and acting out on their emotions against other members. I think when one goes to visit an online forum, I believe it is necessary to practise self-moderation. Even if people do not agree with you or give you a hard time, it is best to remain civil and try to work this out without letting emotions get into it.

As a moderator, it is my duty to warn and ban people when things get out of hand. This is the least favourite part of my job description, as I hate warning and banning people. If necessary, I have to ban members for 12, then 24 hours, and so on. I don't like driving good-standing contributing members away because I like to include everyone even though I may not agree with their opinions. It is what makes this discussion board a great one. We need to hear all different kinds of opinions without allowing pure anger take control of ourselves. Granted, we might think a post is stupid or get angry because we don't agree with what someone said, but does that give us the right to lash back on a member, because of something they said?

What do you do, when you don't like a person? Most people I know would prefer to disassociate from these people and try to keep things calm.

I would like to initialize a discussion about self-moderation, however I EXPECT you all to remain civil with this discussion. What is self- moderation?

Kuifje -- i uddy where u stand and i can imagine it can be pretty difficult for u as a moderator and as a friend to so many of the members on the boards --

in answer to ur question of "what is self-moderation" to me it is practicing of self control and not respond abt a post/comment whatever it is in a big negative way -- its ok to say "i disagree cuz of..." without making it a personal attack or just simply ignore the comment made -- ive ignored a few posts on the boards cuz i felt some of them were pretty stupid

Exactly, it is sometimes good to ignore some comments because it will go nowhere if one kept arguing about it all about nothing but whose beliefs is better than others. If an attack is directed to me, I would rather let it cool down and not add to it to keep it going.

As Far my concern "opition greater suggest"

In my opitions, which this issues moderation...
What if person who turns into anger or heating worst.. I think mod can warn that person via pm 1st strike.. If contuines worst not follow the alldeaf.com 2nd warning.. then last call... then next banned.. for 24 hours until their behave.. If not working out giving that person banned for a week.. If not work then that is it permantly...

Just in my mind "brain storm" Of course not easy for everyones who is handling moderation.
If Mod anger toward to one person.. In my opition is conflict interest.. so give someone who is mod can take care of rest the problem.. as same thing recently I was spoked above.

I thought I could try help otherwise... "Give them a chance and how their behave and repluation going back "normal" as their last call as straw!

Wha... do you think Kuifje75 ? Up to mod's opition.. I would be very happy hearing what your voice as speak out the opition.
Thanks. :)

The defiinition of Self-Moderation means that
alldeaf members do enforce community norms
without admin intervention... Self-moderation
means allowing everyone to take part in the
responsiblity of moderating this environment
instead of waiting for a "government" to step in
and begin censorship. Good self-moderation
is able to keep the ongoing discussion alive
under a favorable condition. For an instance,
if someone got banned, then this is not
a self-moderated forum.

P.S. I undy how you feel about
how difficult to handle things
especially during anger times. I learned
from anger management that every time
when i feel anger that i have to wait
and write down how i feel and keep
the writing in private then wait until
next day then I re-read it with better
objectives.

Deaf258 said:
I am sorry, but I can take a hint and leave this forum for good. :thumb:
That would be quite a true pleasure for us all.

kuifje75 said:
Exactly, it is sometimes good to ignore some comments because it will go nowhere if one kept arguing about it all about nothing but whose beliefs is better than others. If an attack is directed to me, I would rather let it cool down and not add to it to keep it going.

*keeps my cool in the best way possible*

i have a gripe but i will not be posting that shit here but i DO ask HOW am i going to deal with a shit that keeps going on and on and on even with NO apparent solution qq and ive practiced MASSIVE control of "self-moderation" -- its been brought to a moderator's attention to no avail, as is the ignoring of hte posts and simple request made and goes WAYYYY out of proportion -- *hiss*

:o *getting throughly disgusted*

When making posts, it's best to ignore other offensive posts or problematic responses. The best way to deal with it is ignore them or refer to a moderator on duty. It's not appropriate to snap back making replies back to the other members... which usually starts flame wars.

Heyyyyyy, I am not asking for any one of you to confess your habits, but to merely discuss the question that I posed, and Bullymom, this is about this question, not the moderating duties.

What is self moderation?

Y - you probably summed it much better than I could.
Deaf258 - There is no hint to you. This is directed to everybody. No need to act hasty and leave.
Flyfree- I didn't mean to make you pissy and mad, as I was not pointing fingers at anyone.

Acquired from http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=moderation to moderate means:
v. mod·er·at·ed, mod·er·at·ing, mod·er·ates (m d -r t )
v. tr.
1. To lessen the violence, severity, or extremeness of.
2. To preside over: She was chosen to moderate the convention.
v. intr.
1. To become less violent, severe, or extreme; abate.
2. To act as a moderator.
“Self-moderation” might sound pretty isolated in itself, however, to moderate comes in double meaning and is self-explanatory. To moderate is to lessen the violence when it comes to AllDeaf forum, and we moderate AllDeaf as moderator or normal users. Cooperatively, we can moderate AllDeaf by using common sense, a sense in way that it prevents violence (even with lightest instinct) to the extreme. I agree with “self-moderation” by setting example as a role model to others and that is how moderators are selected here. We cannot be part of team unless we become a player; to be a player we cooperatively encourage others to work hard AS A TEAM. How can a Team succeed if they’re against each other? Think about it.

I agree with Kootchie: Don't take the bait if you know others are trying to piss you off, or if their ideas are so different it makes you want to snap at them. As a friend once said, "Be a lady (or gentleman) and ignore it (the bait)!" I have taken that to heart ever since.

If you feel angry... DONT POST... leave that thread alone for a few days or a week or until you feel calmed down, and can post about your points to disagree with them gracefully. That's what I do, or I'll get pie in my face or I'll be eating crow like Bill O'Reilly! Try to not "point" fingers at your opponent in a debate or discussion that starts with "You" in a sentence: "Oh, you always say that because you are an idiot!" Personal attacks are NOT appreciated and they are always UGLY.

I know this is similar to what Y is saying - If you feel so angry, just write down what you really want to say... don't submit it, though lol - be prepared to make your points and argument in an acceptable way that respects the AD rules. That is self moderation to me!

Agree to disagree if it comes down to that! It works, in my opinion.

*ahhhh*,
defanation(sp)... "Teamwork"
::shrugs:: Sorry I brings wrong defenation explaination about this issues..
By the way,
Thanks for your explaination LiniuxGold's comment.

kuifje75 said:
Flyfree- I didn't mean to make you pissy and mad, as I was not pointing fingers at anyone.

refer to PM :D u will have a more clearer explaination

*huggies*

I have my own plms with one person but u know what i do i turn off the PM and then let it go i don't need to obess over it.. i have my own life as compared to poeple who don't !

Hello

*scratching my head*

I don't undy this deaf thingie...I know deafies love to gripe...but I always say leave it and let it be...life is WAAAY too short to worry about what others are saying...as my fav quote is...

"I have no regrets. I wouldn't have lived my life the way I did if I was going to worry about what people were going to say." ~Ingrid Bergman

Who cares what others are saying bout u? Only you know what you are, and no one else. I'd just act like a duck, shake the water off my back and quack.

Smiles!~

Love,
DD

DreamDeaf said:
*scratching my head*

I don't undy this deaf thingie...I know deafies love to gripe...but I always say leave it and let it be...life is WAAAY too short to worry about what others are saying...as my fav quote is...

"I have no regrets. I wouldn't have lived my life the way I did if I was going to worry about what people were going to say." ~Ingrid Bergman

Who cares what others are saying bout u? Only you know what you are, and no one else. I'd just act like a duck, shake the water off my back and quack.

Smiles!~

Love,
DD

Very Wise Saying.. I like it a lot.:)

In my dictionary it says: A substance, such as water or graphite, that is used in a nuclear reactor to decrease the speed of fast neutrons and increase the likelihood of fission. (which means atomic bomb) :crazy:

All I have done was just ignoring posts that were inappropriate or just plainly irritating me. It's not really worth it to flame a thread I didn't like...because it'll simply make things worse than it initally was. :roll:

kuifje75 said:
Heyyyyyy, I am not asking for any one of you to confess your habits, but to merely discuss the question that I posed, and Bullymom, this is about this question, not the moderating duties.

What is self moderation?

Y - you probably summed it much better than I could.
Deaf258 - There is no hint to you. This is directed to everybody. No need to act hasty and leave.

Kuifje75, i accept this as a compliment...
Thank you Have a Good day :)

Back