What does Deafhood mean to YOU?

DeafCaroline

Reaction score
The debate about Deafhood on the other thread got me thinking alot.

For some, it means a way of life, for others a journey, yet others self-acceptance and at least one I'm aware of who feels no need to identify himself with Deafhood. We all filter the meaning of Deafhood through the lenses of our own personal life experiences.

For me, Deafhood is about pride.

Old me was apologetic for being deaf: "I'm sorry, can you say that again? I'm sorry, I didn't mean to ignore you, I'm sorry, I didn't hear you say that. I'm sorry for bothering you but I need your help with a phone call."

For me, Deafhood means never having to say you're sorry. :)

What does it mean to you?

A lifetime of experience and changing perspective.

All various experiences, similar situations, all journeys, and much more. Not just Deaf people, all various people with hearing loss because they may share the similarity in some ways and whatnot.

Same with Blackhood and Gay-hood (I don't know if there is but please correct me).

:)

Last edited:
So what is the difference between "Deafhood" and "Deaf culture"? Or is there one?

What a long, strange trip it's been. :dizzy:

"...Deafhood" and "Deaf culture"? Or is there one? "

Good question...what do you think?

I think there's a difference - for me, Deafhood is an attitude and Deaf culture is well, the community.

"...Deafhood" and "Deaf culture"? Or is there one? "

Good question...what do you think?

I think there's a difference - for me, Deafhood is an attitude and Deaf culture is well, the community.

For me... :dunno:

But your definition makes sense

See this is what I am talking about (no offense FF) ASL would seem to be more about deaf culture than deafhood....

no sweat.

ahh, ASL is my language where i can feel clickable with other ASL users. maybe I need to explain more. I think i ll need to come back to you. LOL

No need to troll....I asked a question and already stated I :dunno:

huh? troll? :confused:

everybody sees it differently. you've been here long enough so you should at least be able to have some idea, however faintest, to describe it yourself otherwise..... why are you here in this thread? Don't tell me.... more joking around?

huh? troll? :confused:

everybody sees it differently. you've been here long enough so you should at least be able to have some idea, however faintest, to describe it yourself otherwise..... why are you here in this thread? Don't tell me.... more joking around?

Umm....never heard of deafhood until this week.....from what I gather it's from a book I haven't read. So if you don't mind....Shhh I would like to see what the others have to say.

Back