What are you thinking about? Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can sympathize with ya....COMCAST....And it was ongoing from August to Nov. of this year....(phone)...as for the VP and Internet....I was the one who finally found the missed connection that Comcast overlooked...and after 5 Techs coming here...and saying "It's the Computer".....

The Phone....everytime I tried to make a TTY call...a recording would come up....saying..."Your long distance service has been discontinued, please call customer service 48201"....I was not even trying to make a long distance call...and at first, blamed it on AT&T...and it was an all-out WAR between me and Comcast....I emailed them every, every, every day!...Did a Live Chat also...and finally when I threatened to file a complaint with the ADA....that did the Trick!...2 days later...my phone service was working perfectly....

You always get the "I apologize for the inconveniece"....and..."I'm gonna escalate this to my Supervisor"....whenever you call Customer Service....I raised HOLY HELL...went Downtown and filed a Complaint....

Everything is working really good now.....and hope you can get ur troubles to working out soon!

Son called for me as I can't stay online long enough for the VP to work. He explained that I was threatening to cancel. They have reset the router thinking about the interference from the airport. If it goes out again, then son will call back and they would replace the router as it might be defective.

Thinking about my roommate and her kids' return from Florida tonight.

Now thinking about how hard it will be to sell our Expedition.

Son called for me as I can't stay online long enough for the VP to work. He explained that I was threatening to cancel. They have reset the router thinking about the interference from the airport. If it goes out again, then son will call back and they would replace the router as it might be defective.

You have a lot of stuff hooked up to that router, you need to make sure the router can handle it in the first place. The gaming on line will make you need a bad ass router right there.

I'm thinking that winter is really starting back home in NH, they're going to get buried again. I'm gong up there in January....I'm thinking nobody better want me to shovel lol!!!! I left behind when I moved to SC ;) now I'm thinking about the fact that every time I go back for a visit it's during the fall or winter. I should stop that, it's cold!! I have to pack clothes that take up more room!

:wave:
Marty likes to do the too , fall asleep with his head on my leg. I hate to get up as he is so cute. Is your dog part poodle?
Try getting up from a recliner with 3 dogs sharing with you. Sometimes I stay in the chair or the bed an extra hour so I won't have to make them move! Mine are all Chihuahua mixes. Dog's are people too!:deaf:

Have given the info here and there over the last 2 weeks or so. Not expecting much. Sneakernet was a big help already. Now, it's just a Comcast issue.

We have Xfinity triple deal with cable, landline and high-speed internet. I upped the internet to something like "Extreme 50" service for faster video capabilities or some such. Daughter's desktop computer has the router hooked to it. XBox in far back room is connecting to XBox live wirelessly. Netbook in front bedroom gets internet wirelessly. Both Nintendo DSi XL's get internet wirelessly. I was buying USB network adapters for my desktop. Every adapter I bought knocked the Wifi offline for the house. Nothing worked for more than 5 minutes. Now, I have a mini-adapter kit that one unit plugs into the wall and connects to the router via ethernet. The other little unit plugs into another room and connects to my computer via ethernet. I have internet. But, all of a sudden, after a day or so, we are losing wifi for the netbook or DSi's. We even lost landline connection. Comcast was contacted and we have been dealing with them for a few days and they have no answers and refuse to send someone out to the house.

I know this could have gone to the area for help, but I was just making a simple comment.

I had gotten to thinking about suggesting that you get someone from a computer business with a service department (not a "big box" store) to come out and look at your whole setup.

After what ambrosia posted it also occurred to me if you have the bandwidth to run all that at once. That is something that you can check yourself by completely turning off everything that is attached and then adding them back one at a time. If it works until a certain point. Restart with just that device on that was added just before the problem reappeared. If it gives you problems with just that device there is something wrong with how that device is configured. If you have no problems with just the one device connected, you might want to go back to adding devices one at a time to try to see if it will only handle so many.

I offer not guarantees! Just some ideas as I have no idea what you have already tried.

Good Luck!
Jane

I had gotten to thinking about suggesting that you get someone from a computer business with a service department (not a "big box" store) to come out and look at your whole setup.

After what ambrosia posted it also occurred to me if you have the bandwidth to run all that at once. That is something that you can check yourself by completely turning off everything that is attached and then adding them back one at a time. If it works until a certain point. Restart with just that device on that was added just before the problem reappeared. If it gives you problems with just that device there is something wrong with how that device is configured. If you have no problems with just the one device connected, you might want to go back to adding devices one at a time to try to see if it will only handle so many.

I offer not guarantees! Just some ideas as I have no idea what you have already tried.

Good Luck!
Jane

I don't think the bandwidth is the issues. It could be the router bugs. Secondly I thought of something that you don't have anything sacked on top of the router. If router don't have any adequate ventilation can causes the router overheat and go haywire, knocking off the Wifi and other. This really bugs me....I been scratching my head trying to get a whole pictures.

I don't think the bandwidth is the issues. It could be the router bugs. Secondly I thought of something that you don't have anything sacked on top of the router. If router don't have any adequate ventilation can causes the router overheat and go haywire, knocking off the Wifi and other. This really bugs me....I been scratching my head trying to get a whole pictures.

SneakerNet have you gotten to see their setup in person? I keep thinking there is something that is not obvious from just a description but would be if actually seeing everything.

SneakerNet have you gotten to see their setup in person? I keep thinking there is something that is not obvious from just a description but would be if actually seeing everything.

Sneakernet has not been here as we live too far apart. He has been online on my computer and knows that set-up.

As for the router, nothing sits on it at all and we have a fan in daughter's desk blowing on the router and the CPU.

Now, as to the latest in this. Son got through to Comcast and they changed the setting on the router (Sneakernet will understand, he tried as well, but before I got the equipment I have now.) They have it set now at the highest setting or whatever for interference. Son then asked if they knew what they were talking about and wanted to make sure they understood how close we are to the airport and the fact that we have the high ceilings and such. They assured him that they were told this and had gotten in touch with the installer. They did this change a few hours ago and so far, we have had no problem.

Let me draw a mental picture for you as to the set-up. I promise, I am not intending to sound rude at all. The router was chosen by Comcast knowing about all the equipment that would be using it.

Picture a box that is 42 feet on the top and bottom and 32 feet on the sides. Now, along the 42 walls, divide the space into thirds. Now, on the left third in on the bottom and the outside line, you will have the desktop with the router. That area also has a Nintendo DSi XL in use. Now, in the middle section on the bottom and towards the right hand line there, is the desktop that was having problems. In the left section on the bottom in the netbook and another Nintendo DSi XL. Now, along the top 42 wall, there is another section that is 32 feet by 13 feet. the beginning of the 32 feet is even with the far left hand line and goes to 10 feet before the right hand line. Slightly to the right of the center of that is the XBox 360.

When my computer was moved over and Comcast came out. They had assumed that my computer had a wireless adapter installed internally. Not the case. So, they did the rest of the install and suggested that I get a wireless adapter. I got one within 2 days. During those 2 days, all the other pieces connected with no problems through Wifi. Once I got the USB adapter, it started dropping the Wifi in the house. Don't ask me how. Even Sneakernet didn't understand it. I tried with 3 different USB adapters. They were from Best Buy and Radio Shack. This last time, I went to Office Depot and took in the system info on my computer as well as our house plans. I wanted the tech to understand how the layout was on the house and stressed the 11 foot ceiling height. He said that there would be no USB adapter that could do what I needed based on ceiling height and location of house. He showed me what I could use. It is a D-Link PowerLine AV+ Mini Adapter Starter Kit. I got that home, hooked it up and finally got internet to last longer than 5-10 minutes. After a few hours, daughter and I are still connected, but son lost the Wifi. Then hubby used the landline phone and lost the call.

This was the basis of our problems. They reset the router to the next setting. It continued to go out. Today, they put it at the next and final setting. They said that if it goes out, do not reset the router, just call them and they will be out Monday to switch out the router with a better one.

Wirelessly posted

Mio Amor is not only greatest, he's the BEST!

Finances. Need to make decisions about cutting small costs. Is it really worth the hassles since the two I'm thinking about are my landline phone & email account. I've had both for so many years it will be a pain to notify everybody if I change them.

Would drop the landline and use just my cell phone.

The email is with a former Internet provider and I kept it because I was always job hunting & working for temp agencies & wanted to get job alerts. Now that I a perm job that excuse is mute. I was just informed the cost of maintaining the account went up $3/month. Changing it will mean cleaning out the emails, notifying people & websites, etc.

Man, I hope our taxes don't go up on Tuesday.

Let me draw a mental picture for you as to the set-up. I promise, I am not intending to sound rude at all. The router was chosen by Comcast knowing about all the equipment that would be using it.

Picture a box that is 42 feet on the top and bottom and 32 feet on the sides. Now, along the 42 walls, divide the space into thirds. Now, on the left third in on the bottom and the outside line, you will have the desktop with the router. That area also has a Nintendo DSi XL in use. Now, in the middle section on the bottom and towards the right hand line there, is the desktop that was having problems. In the left section on the bottom in the netbook and another Nintendo DSi XL. Now, along the top 42 wall, there is another section that is 32 feet by 13 feet. the beginning of the 32 feet is even with the far left hand line and goes to 10 feet before the right hand line. Slightly to the right of the center of that is the XBox 360.

When my computer was moved over and Comcast came out. They had assumed that my computer had a wireless adapter installed internally. Not the case. So, they did the rest of the install and suggested that I get a wireless adapter. I got one within 2 days. During those 2 days, all the other pieces connected with no problems through Wifi. Once I got the USB adapter, it started dropping the Wifi in the house. Don't ask me how. Even Sneakernet didn't understand it. I tried with 3 different USB adapters. They were from Best Buy and Radio Shack. This last time, I went to Office Depot and took in the system info on my computer as well as our house plans. I wanted the tech to understand how the layout was on the house and stressed the 11 foot ceiling height. He said that there would be no USB adapter that could do what I needed based on ceiling height and location of house. He showed me what I could use. It is a D-Link PowerLine AV+ Mini Adapter Starter Kit. I got that home, hooked it up and finally got internet to last longer than 5-10 minutes. After a few hours, daughter and I are still connected, but son lost the Wifi. Then hubby used the landline phone and lost the call.

This was the basis of our problems. They reset the router to the next setting. It continued to go out. Today, they put it at the next and final setting. They said that if it goes out, do not reset the router, just call them and they will be out Monday to switch out the router with a better one.

I found NOTHING rude in this at all and was not expecting it to be. As for my point about seeing it in person a tech can sometimes find something by seeing things that gets missed when both are just describing things back and forth.

Glad it sounds like you have isolated the problem piece of equipment.

Thinking about the rumor that milk will go up to $6 to $8 a gallon. Anyone heard that rumor and is it a legit one?

Yes, legit that is if Congress fails to come up with solution to Fiscal Cliff. What it means is that if no solution comes up on January 1st, the cuts to farmer for milk gets cuts automatically so farmers have no choice but to pass that cuts to poor American citizens.

Thinking about the rumor that milk will go up to $6 to $8 a gallon. Anyone heard that rumor and is it a legit one?

Not a rumor unfortunately :(
I'm a milk drinker myself and hope Congress doesn't let this happen.

If the price does go up I can see more people drinking unhealthy soda instead of the milk they would have drank. I only drink milk, cola or water. Water is my least favorite, especially with meals.

watching magician dynamo wondering how it possible to do that

Ever set out to do one thing, but you need to do something else first, which then turns into an all day project thus the original task never gets done ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back