To all hearing parents of Deaf kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
if oral programs became more openminded about the use of ASL....like they encouraged the aquastistion of oral skills, as part of a full toolbox mentality, then Deaf people would be less against them. But the fact of the matter is that it's an unspoken attitude that ASL is "special needs" and if a kid "masters" oral skills, then they won't " need" ASL.

Exactly..it is the attitudes and viewpoints behind them and the organizations that many of us dislike.

And isn't this only true IF the child decides to join the Deaf community as an adult. There are many deaf people that don't.

What if they dont know about it, dont have the confidence especially if they arent fluent in sign language, or dont know how to find one?

I have a feeling that a majority of those numbers represent those who lost their hearing at an older age.

Trying to justify what you have done to your children, huh? Sorry, but science have proved you wrong.

Justify what flippy? Proven me wrong how flippy?

We have raised a profoundly deaf child with a ci who is about to grduate college, has a job and is probably going to Grad school next year but most of all is happy, well adjusted and living and loving proof of how wrong you are flippy.

I don't think that anyone has said that the majority of CI users are "failures". As a matter of fact, I don't apply the term "failure" to any child. I do however, apply it to outmoded educational philosophies that have failed deaf students again and again.

Nor has anyone ever claimed that there aren't exceptions. However, they are known as exceptions because what is true for them is not true for the majority.

The problem for you is that they are not exceptions but the norm for ci kids and you just cannot stand it.

You keep harping on the "majority" this and and that for education and we keep telling you that our concerns are with our children and what is best for them. We are not raising and educating the "majority" of deaf children but our own individual and unique child.

Here we go again... why is it that we simply agree to disagree. Despite what others may say, I have personally seen many, many CI children who are successful in their enviroment. That's a fact. Rick's daughter is one of them and back then, he chose the road less travelled. Stop saying that majority of CI users are failures- because they aren't. At least not around here... and I know that this is going to be fodder for Jillio and Shel, by my Deaf nephew- who has two parents who sign ASL( they are Deaf) involved with the Deaf community, implanted their children at a relatively young age have deaf brothers and cousins and aunts and uncles, told his mother the other day at the age of 8, that he's not deaf- he is not the same as his mother- he can hear with his implants on and is only deaf when he takes them off. So here is an example of a child who is clearly immersed in the Deaf community and yet doesn't identify himself as D but d.

DT,

Thanks it was definitely then the road less traveled but no longer is but it has been a great road filled with many wonderful people who far out number the negative people.
Rick

Here we go again... why is it that we simply agree to disagree. Despite what others may say, I have personally seen many, many CI children who are successful in their enviroment. That's a fact. Rick's daughter is one of them and back then, he chose the road less travelled. Stop saying that majority of CI users are failures- because they aren't. At least not around here... and I know that this is going to be fodder for Jillio and Shel, by my Deaf nephew- who has two parents who sign ASL( they are Deaf) involved with the Deaf community, implanted their children at a relatively young age have deaf brothers and cousins and aunts and uncles, told his mother the other day at the age of 8, that he's not deaf- he is not the same as his mother- he can hear with his implants on and is only deaf when he takes them off. So here is an example of a child who is clearly immersed in the Deaf community and yet doesn't identify himself as D but d.

Your child has the best of both...since u brought my name up...that is all I want for all deaf children. To have the best of both so I dont know what the problem is? I just dont agree with the view that ASL shouldnt be allowed in the child's life and putting children in an educational setting where they dont have equal access with their hearing peers.

It's seldom wise to go against experts when raising a child for some obvious reasons. The way Rick expresses himself, going against common sense and science is worrysome. I really hope other parents don't follow his example. It also sounds like Rick are unsure if he did the right thing, by the way he repeats himself.

I did not say it's a single way to educate a child? Rick made some wild statements, for example:

"The truth is that(language delays) it is a subjective term..".

Making claims like this is common for paranoid schizophrenics.

A cause of conflict seems to be that not many deaf people take this claim serious when parents choose oralism, while you wish this was a valid reason:
"each child is different, there is no one method for each and every child and the parents usually know their child better than anyone else."

Must be horrible to be surrounded by this nasty deafhood, telling you that "your children are belong to us".

No flippy nothing horrible about it. I have been dealing with the likes of people like you for the past 20 years and when you run out of arguments you always lower yourself to the ones that you have used in your post flippy. Do not worry, I have already reported your post to the mods flippy.

Mod's Note:

The thread is closed for the time being to let things cool down for a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back