To all hearing parents of Deaf kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another productive discussion lost to sarcasm.:roll:

Careful, if you side with me even for a second, they might take away your Deaf badge.
Immature remark coming from you about us since u point they which mean me? U need to stop assume all Deaf people are they.. I just dont agree with many of your words when u led to believe that many of us are against CI. I am not against CI but I am against oral program. I consider it as a child abuse because of what I went thru first 6 years of my life and my parents were alike you and ididot of you telling us that you think u know about our lives. Stop believe Rick or any other who their kids may be better than me and others who went thru hell. I am damaged because people are like you to believe this and brainwashed my parents and still do this day. I would not be surprise when your child will come up and turned it against you when she reach my age, later in life. Take care I am done with you.

Immature remark coming from you about us since u point they which mean me? U need to stop assume all Deaf people are they.. I just dont agree with many of your words when u led to believe that many of us are against CI. I am not against CI but I am against oral program. I consider it as a child abuse because of what I went thru first 6 years of my life and my parents were alike you and ididot of you telling us that you think u know about our lives. Stop believe Rick or any other who their kids may be better than me and others who went thru hell. I am damaged because people are like you to believe this and brainwashed my parents and still do this day. I would not be surprise when your child will come up and turned it against you when she reach my age, later in life. Take care I am done with you.

How many times do I have to say that "MY DAUGHTER USES ASL AND WILL FOR THE REST OF HER LIFE"????
I am not advocating against ASL, I am against close-mindedness.

Let me be perfectly clear for the 1000000000th time.

I BELIEVE ALL CHILDREN WITH ANY HEARING LOSS SHOULD HAVE ASL FROM BIRTH.

Clear yet?

That being said, I do not believe that parents who do not use ASL are abusive, I don't look down on mainstreamers and I don't think that SEE is going to scramble a child's brain. I don't know these kids, so it is not my place to make a decision for them.

You just said that SEE is not appropriate. So, if a parent chooses to sign SEE instead of ASL, they are still wrong.

Please show me where I said they were "wrong." Again, you are attempting to insert meaning that was not there.

:confused: Your point is?

If you must know what I'm laughing about. I was laughing at the comment where she said she that they will take away my deaf badge. I thought that line of her comment was funny.

My point was clear. And she said they would take away your Deaf badge, not your deaf badge.

My point was clear. And she said they would take away your Deaf badge, not your deaf badge.

Oh, I wasn't paying attention to the capital letter "D", until you pointed that out :ty: Being capital D or small d doesn't make a differences to me. I'm :deaf: either way.

Back to topic...my mom has expressed her regrets for not putting me in a signing environment especially in the educational system cuz she saw how much more content I am with who iam after I learned ASL.I told her not to worry about it cuz what's done has been done. She was happy when I told her that I do advocate for the children.

Oh, I wasn't paying attention to the capital letter "D", until you pointed that out :ty: Being capital D or small d doesn't make a differences to me. I'm :deaf: either way.

Cool.

My mom once told me that she used to take me (I was just a preschool at the time) and my sister to a deaf group... for awhile she thought it would be good for us to have some deaf friends and maybe learn some ASL. Then she discovered that most of the people there were depressed all the time and she didn't like her kids exposed to that. So she never went back and never encourage ASL since. So she decided to follow our audiologist suggestion, don't teach us ASL.

"Done to your child"? What is that supposed to mean?

You are wrong, science has not shown that there is one single way to educate a deaf child. There are pros and cons to every choice.

It's seldom wise to go against experts when raising a child for some obvious reasons. The way Rick expresses himself, going against common sense and science is worrysome. I really hope other parents don't follow his example. It also sounds like Rick are unsure if he did the right thing, by the way he repeats himself.

I did not say it's a single way to educate a child? Rick made some wild statements, for example:

"The truth is that(language delays) it is a subjective term..".

Making claims like this is common for paranoid schizophrenics.

A cause of conflict seems to be that not many deaf people take this claim serious when parents choose oralism, while you wish this was a valid reason:
"each child is different, there is no one method for each and every child and the parents usually know their child better than anyone else."

Must be horrible to be surrounded by this nasty deafhood, telling you that "your children are belong to us".

It's seldom wise to go against experts when raising a child for some obvious reasons. The way Rick expresses himself, going against common sense and science is worrysome. I really hope other parents don't follow his example. It also sounds like Rick are unsure if he did the right thing, by the way he repeats himself.

I did not say it's a single way to educate a child? Rick made some wild statements, for example:

A cause of conflict seems to be that not many deaf people take this claim serious when parents choose oralism, while you wish this was a valid reason:
"each child is different, there is no one method for each and every child and the parents usually know their child better than anyone else."

Must be horrible to be surrounded by this nasty deafhood, telling you that "your children are belong to us".

What is that supposed to mean?

It is subjective. Some children have a delay of 3 months, others 5 years. There is a huge difference.

And isn't this only true IF the child decides to join the Deaf community as an adult. There are many deaf people that don't.

Quick Statistics [NIDCD Health Information]

I believe it says that more than 36 million adults have a hearing loss but ASL is only used by 500,000.

http://gri.gallaudet.edu/Presentations/2004-04-07-1.pdf

What is that supposed to mean?

It is subjective. Some children have a delay of 3 months, others 5 years. There is a huge difference.

That isn't subjective. That is quantified. Perhaps you should refresh yourself on the concept of subjective.

Quick Statistics [NIDCD Health Information]

I believe it says that more than 36 million adults have a hearing loss but ASL is only used by 500,000.

http://gri.gallaudet.edu/Presentations/2004-04-07-1.pdf

What exactly does that have to do with deaf children and language acquisition? Included in the number of deaf adults are those that have been adventitously deafened. And more and more of them are learning ASL. Just check around this forum for real life examples.

And isn't this only true IF the child decides to join the Deaf community as an adult. There are many deaf people that don't.

And there are many who do. Again, just look around this forum for some real life examples. Their stories are everywhere. And they are a representative sample.

I am not against CI but I am against oral program. I consider it as a child abuse because of what I went thru first 6 years of my life and my parents were alike you and ididot of you telling us that you think u know about our lives. Stop believe Rick or any other who their kids may be better than me and others who went thru hell. I am damaged because people are like you to believe this and brainwashed my parents and still do this day. I would not be surprise when your child will come up and turned it against you when she reach my age, later in life
if oral programs became more openminded about the use of ASL....like they encouraged the aquastistion of oral skills, as part of a full toolbox mentality, then Deaf people would be less against them. But the fact of the matter is that it's an unspoken attitude that ASL is "special needs" and if a kid "masters" oral skills, then they won't " need" ASL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back