The Use of ASL to Support the Development of English and Literacy

R

rockdrummer

In another thread Shel90 provided the title to a paper on this topic that may be beneficial to post here. The link below is to an automatic download of a PDF document. If it doesnt automatically download then click on the "begin manual download" link". Here is the link to the download page.

The Use of ASL to Support the Development of English and Literacy -- Wilbur 5 (1): 81 -- The Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education

Here's a couple other links on the subject.

Sign Language - Does ASL Teach English?

Use of ASL To Teach Reading and Writing to Deaf Students: An Interactive Theoretical Perspective.

I am posting this for informational purposes and not attempting to debate the issue but all comments are welcome.

Thanks for the links, rd. Don't have time to download and read right now, but will do so later tonight.:ty:

Oh fantastic, this looks like just what I need for my literature review. Thanks for posting!

No problem... Thanks to Shel for providing the title. I couldn't have found it without her.

No problem... Thanks to Shel for providing the title. I couldn't have found it without her.

Aww thanks..

Now I have to say thanks to my brother for leaving his big box of school materials. :giggle:

I wish the kids would go away so I can sit and go thru all his research articles that he has collected but kids r having a bad day today. Grrrr. Maybe later. :)

Aww thanks..

Now I have to say thanks to my brother for leaving his big box of school materials. :giggle:

I wish the kids would go away so I can sit and go thru all his research articles that he has collected but kids r having a bad day today. Grrrr. Maybe later. :)

Shel, C'est la vie! I know what that is like with my nephews and my niece. :giggle:

I too will peruse through the research at a later time as I dont want to hog up the internet ATM. Im in the process of geting a wireless router connected.

Have finished reading the informationfromthe links and all are supportive of a bi-bi approach in education and the use of ASL in teaching deaf to read and write English.

I personally think that it would be benificial to put links to research in this area. I see in alot of threads that some people cite things without backing them up with the source or links to the information and for me that doesn't work well. While I take opinions and suggestions under consideration they are not alone what drives my decisions. Those suggestions and opinions along with solid information and sources are what I draw my personal conclusions from. I know that I will post as much research information that I can in this area hoping to benefit others.

I personally think that it would be benificial to put links to research in this area. I see in alot of threads that some people cite things without backing them up with the source or links to the information and for me that doesn't work well. While I take opinions and suggestions under consideration they are not alone what drives my decisions. Those suggestions and opinions along with solid information and sources are what I draw my personal conclusions from. I know that I will post as much research information that I can in this area hoping to benefit others.

Yea, I need to work on improving that skill.

I to have read the articles and it was very eye opening. I have posted my thoughts on the article in Jilios thread in Our World, Our Culture section.

I personally think that it would be benificial to put links to research in this area.

You are undoubtedly correct but the thing is coming here is my escape from work, and my work currently involves writing stuff about research. So the last thing I want to do is include citations in my forum posts!

However, when I finish my thesis (which has been postponed), I would be happy to post my reference list as well as other references I've come across along the way. I'll try to remember to do that.

You are undoubtedly correct but the thing is coming here is my escape from work, and my work currently involves writing stuff about research. So the last thing I want to do is include citations in my forum posts!

However, when I finish my thesis (which has been postponed), I would be happy to post my reference list as well as other references I've come across along the way. I'll try to remember to do that.

Yeah, should I go ahead and post the references for the 150+ books, and the couple of thousand articles I have used over the years?

I to have read the articles and it was very eye opening. I have posted my thoughts on the article in Jilios thread in Our World, Our Culture section.

Thanks, Dixie. I just read your post and you hit the nail on the head. And, thanks to rd for posting the links that support what I have been saying all along in various threads.

Yeah, should I go ahead and post the references for the 150+ books, and the couple of thousand articles I have used over the years?
It would be helpful to others so why not. You don't have to post them all at once and you may even be able to simply provide links to the information. I think that would be a great service to folks seeking information and answers.

I will make an effort to be more conscientous in posting citations and references. However, inthese posts, I am normaly not quoting a source, or paraphrasing a source, but rather relying on knowledge that has been gained over the past 21 years. In the event that I have quoted or paraphrased from another, I have offered citation. Is anyone really able to offer a direct citation for something they learned 20 years ago? And just because a citation is not provided, is the knowledge invalidated?

I really don't think that offering citations will do much to improve the nature of the disucssions, as it has become obvious that those who ask for this information most often do not even bother to follow up when a citation is provided. The intent is not to request a citation for the purpose of learning and gaining new knowledge, but simply to challenge posters to "prove" their position. Nor do those that request citation most often hold themselves to the same standards by providing sources of their own. They simply challenge the opposing view without offering support for their own.

I believe we have had this discussion before, and I have taken time to offer you resources when it was clear that your intent was to actually take advantage of these resources and expand your knowledge base. I will make every effort necessary to explain and support anything I have to say when the one asking the question is actually asking a question in order to better understand. However, when the intent is simply to argue, it is a waste of time.

I might add, as well, that numerous books were offered as resources in another thread some time ago. I wonder how many have bothered to read any of those books?

you're right but be cautious -- researches and sources were funded by the "special interests" i.e. cochlear implant companies and asl-hating groups to boost their investments. it had happened many times in the biochemistry industry. the bastards like cspi had shit all over the researches that came out with unfavorable results which would affect their investments i.e. soybeans wholly. omitting the unfavorable results to make the final research look favorable. that's an oldest trick.

Exactly gamer 12. It's nice to notice that someone actually understands the limitations and bias of research funded by special interest groups.

from the article you linked to --

"I agree with Lisa Pooh more than anyone else. I have 2 hearing and 2 Deaf kids. All of them are exposed in ASL in their early years. Today, all are doing great in school including writing English. Always remember this: expose language such as ASL as much as possible before the age of 5 and the child should be communicate effectively to his/her parent before the age of 5 as well. Once communication is effectively established, the child's schooling years will be well founded. It is the parent's job to communicate in two way to their child. Saying PSE or SEE is better than ASL is plainly false."

there's only one response to this -- duh. that person has a very good point.

Exactly gamer 12. It's nice to notice that someone actually understands the limitations and bias of research funded by special interest groups.

likewise. it's not difficult to see through that. it seems these days it's hard for some people to comprehend it.

Back