The Making of a Word: Audism ...And More

jillio said:
Just a guess: "Hearing think"??

Is that really as strong as "audist"? I've seen it to mean more like "he doesn't know about Deaf culture" and I've used it jokingly about myself on occasion when I make some kind of cultural error. But if that's really how it's signed, I'll stop using that sign unless I mean "audist."

Interpretrator said:
Is that really as strong as "audist"? I've seen it to mean more like "he doesn't know about Deaf culture" and I've used it jokingly about myself on occasion when I make some kind of cultural error. But if that's really how it's signed, I'll stop using that sign unless I mean "audist."

That sign is terrible.

jillio said:
Unfortunately, sr171soars, a term CAN and does label people to the point that it interferes with their capabilties to perform. It is the tendency of humans to see the label first, and the person second. It happens in all areas, not just with the Deaf. Label someone a schizophrenic, and do you see the person first, or the mental illness first?

Obviously, that happens all too often...far too often and real life validates that observation (heck, I seen it in my life many times). My point is that life ain't fair and whatever shingding you are labeled, you are still capable of proving others wrong. The real key isn't proving to the entire world otherwise but just the ones that are important in your own world... Let's say there is nothing different about you, you still have to earn respect from others.

Interpretrator said:

That isn't how it's signed, at least not in my experience. At Gallaudet, everyone I've met fingerspells "audist."

ayala920 said:
That isn't how it's signed, at least not in my experience. At Gallaudet, everyone I've met fingerspells "audist."
I wonder how many fingers it takes to spell it. I would use only one. Can ya guess which one?

rockdrummer said:
I wonder how many fingers it takes to spell it. I would use only one. Can ya guess which one?

Actually, I'm thinking in this line of reply.......
doublefinger.jpg

Last edited:
Wish I could understand what they are saying..
Looks very informative.. And, using the sign for "opressed"seems like a good sign. Guess the mouth will say "audism".

Cloggy said:
Looks very informative.. And, using the sign for "opressed"seems like a good sign. Guess the mouth will say "audism".
Yeah it would be interesting to know what they are saying. My ASL is not so good that I can follow. Is there a text transcript?

Cloggy said:

Wish I could understand what the radio is saying...

Go watch Robin Willilams...

Mookie said:

Yeah, I recalled Shawn. It was a shocking news
about his death. Shawn even asked me to
be one of his assistants during his band tour,
but I never had this opportunity to act only
because he already died too early. He already
proved to the World that he toured all over
the United States to share his deaf music.

oh brother it looks like their website removed
Shawn Dale Barnett's photos Sigh....

I'm gonna save some of them on my desktop
just in case if they're gone again Grrr

Here is one of my favorite ones:
mlkga

Y said:
Another photo of Shawn:
rjrjt
Yes and to the Audist's out there that think deafies can't accomplish or achieve... Read these facts about Shawn.
"FIRST AND ONLY NATURALLY BORN 100 PERCENT DEAF MAN WITH A TOP TEN HIT ON MTV IN 1987."
"FIRST 100 PERCENT DEAF MAN TO OWN A RECORD COMPANY."
"FIRST DEAF MUSICIAN TO JOIN DEO (DEAF ENTERTAINMENT ORGANIZATION)."
"FIRST DEAF MAN TO TEACH DEAF KIDS MUSIC AS AN "ARTIST IN RESIDENCE" AT THE KANSAS SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF,1998."
KANSAS SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF'S MOST FAMOUS FORMER STUDENT, CLASS OF 1981. (WALKIN' THE WALK FOR 20 YEARS AS A PROFESSIONAL, 33 YEARS OF TRAINING SINCE 1968 )
PLAYED FOR OVER 200,000 PEOPLE IN 1999 AND 2000!!!

Ha ha ha you all are fucking lucky...Sweetmind is not here.. she hates the word of audism... Oh well... Sweetmind told me she quit coming in here to post..
SxyPorkie :Ohno: :wiggle: :bowlol: :laugh2:

SxyPorkie said:
Ha ha ha you all are fucking lucky...Sweetmind is not here.. she hates the word of audism... Oh well... Sweetmind told me she quit coming in here to post..
SxyPorkie :Ohno: :wiggle: :bowlol: :laugh2:
I know Porkie... she is one of the reasons I started the thread in the first place. Look at my first post in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back