The Homeless

You are quite amazing. I love that you are enthusiastic and keep going when you know you have an idea that will work. So many ideas wow! I know this could be the start of something much bigger and that your "Food for Trash" idea is just one of many..smile. Keep going Tex, you are making a difference
and thats the way things change, one person at a time. I am really excited for you, and your accomplishments...so far..Midnight♥♥♥ :wave:

:ty:

Mayor Quan is more interested in the graffiti idea. It's a major problem in Oakland and really hurts the business district. We are hoping to get some hotel rooms with the idea as well as food.

Project is pretty exciting. I am supposed to be on day 6 of a 10 day trip to Kauai. I cancelled due to being too busy. I toured Berkeley today....I was surprised to see the on campus homelessness there.

:ty:

Mayor Quan is more interested in the graffiti idea. It's a major problem in Oakland and really hurts the business district. We are hoping to get some hotel rooms with the idea as well as food.

Project is pretty exciting. I am supposed to be on day 6 of a 10 day trip to Kauai. I cancelled due to being too busy. I toured Berkeley today....I was surprised to see the on campus homelessness there.

Are you speaking of homeless people 'living' on campus or of students who are homeless themselves? I have heard of people so desperate for a college education that they literally chose to live out of their car and live very meagerly until they finish their degrees. I know of one lady that spent 3 of her 4 undergrad years living out of her truck on the the U of A - Fayetteville campus. In the winter she would sleep under 6-7 blankets at night to keep from freezing to death. She would wash herself in the library bathroom, and she would do her laundry at a laundromat near campus using money she would pick up off the ground. As for food, I think she relied on student loans for that. She would take out enough for books/tuition and then a bit more for gas and food. That was an interesting lady. Sadly we've lost touch over the years.

Are you speaking of homeless people 'living' on campus or of students who are homeless themselves? I have heard of people so desperate for a college education that they literally chose to live out of their car and live very meagerly until they finish their degrees. I know of one lady that spent 3 of her 4 undergrad years living out of her truck on the the U of A - Fayetteville campus. In the winter she would sleep under 6-7 blankets at night to keep from freezing to death. She would wash herself in the library bathroom, and she would do her laundry at a laundromat near campus using money she would pick up off the ground. As for food, I think she relied on student loans for that. She would take out enough for books/tuition and then a bit more for gas and food. That was an interesting lady. Sadly we've lost touch over the years.

There are some students who live in vans in the area I learned....but in my post I was referring to non students.

Planning to bus a group of 8 homeless to Joplin to do work. If the plan works they will each own a home there free and clear in a year.

Planning to bus a group of 8 homeless to Joplin to do work. If the plan works they will each own a home there free and clear in a year.

Interesting idea. Will they also have a job at the end, in order, to maintain their new house?

Interesting idea. Will they also have a job at the end, in order, to maintain their new house?

Ideally they will have their own business. Hopefully they will learn the skills they need while there. I am hiring my BFF and former 2nd in command to go run the jobs. He and his wife are related to half of Joplin and had been wanting to move there for years. Perfect fit.

Ideally they will have their own business. Hopefully they will learn the skills they need while there. I am hiring my BFF and former 2nd in command to go run the jobs. He and his wife are related to half of Joplin and had been wanting to move there for years. Perfect fit.

Sounds cool. Hopefully, it'll work out for everyone involved.

Umm... give them applications to get a job at McDonalds?

I know it sounds rude, but just because they're homeless doesn't mean it's the end of the world.

There are cleaners that will clean your outfit for free for the purpose of interviews. There are even places that will loan you suits for your interview.

Umm... give them applications to get a job at McDonalds?

I know it sounds rude, but just because they're homeless doesn't mean it's the end of the world.

There are cleaners that will clean your outfit for free for the purpose of interviews. There are even places that will loan you suits for your interview.

While it's true they can get a job at Mcdonalds, anybody can work at Mcdonad's. It don't take much skill to work there. He is however trying to give them a good skill they can depend on to find and hold on to a good job while making decent money.

While it's true they can get a job at Mcdonalds, anybody can work at Mcdonad's. It don't take much skill to work there. He is however trying to give them a good skill they can depend on to find and hold on to a good job while making decent money.

I know the Joplin people. Trust me, it won't be that easy earning their trust. They got burnt by scammers the last time they got hit by tornadoes in 72.
I sure wish TxGolfer the best of luck, though.

But, shouldn't they already have the skills before they start erecting homes for people to live in? And starting one's own business requires not just skills, but capital. Just because someone can go into a devasted area and begin clean up does not mean that they, as a result, gain the skills necessary to run their own business.

Perhaps. But about business ownership?

It is a real redneck town, no offense. You will see small family-owned businesses, but the town has suffered a decline in business revenue along with the rest of the country the past couple years. It takes balls to open a business there, you know.

I know the Joplin people. Trust me, it won't be that easy earning their trust. They got burnt by scammers the last time they got hit by tornadoes in 72.
I sure wish TxGolfer the best of luck, though.

My family lives there, I was born there. I wonder how you know them compare to how I know them.

But, shouldn't they already have the skills before they start erecting homes for people to live in? And starting one's own business requires not just skills, but capital. Just because someone can go into a devasted area and begin clean up does not mean that they, as a result, gain the skills necessary to run their own business.

Gotta start somewhere, I got my skills cause a friend of mine hired me and taught me how to repair copiers. Training took almost a year.

Just like them, it'll take time and gotta learn on the job as I did. That is why he is planning to have his friend/right hand man go there and teach me and help them till they are able to stand on their own two feet. At least he is willing to give them a chance to learn a skill. I've gone to work on a house and I've never built a house before and I did just fine. Who's to say they won't do fine as long as they got supervision?

It is a real redneck town, no offense. You will see small family-owned businesses, but the town has suffered a decline in business revenue along with the rest of the country the past couple years. It takes balls to open a business there, you know.

Once again, I wonder how long it's been since you were there or did you even live there? Joplin is just like any other towns in midwest. I think you are being unfair to them by the blanket comment.

My family lives there, I was born there. I wonder how you know them compare to how I know them.

Gotta start somewhere, I got my skills cause a friend of mine hired me and taught me how to repair copiers. Training took almost a year.

Just like them, it'll take time and gotta learn on the job as I did. That is why he is planning to have his friend/right hand man go there and teach me and help them till they are able to stand on their own two feet. At least he is willing to give them a chance to learn a skill. I've gone to work on a house and I've never built a house before and I did just fine. Who's to say they won't do fine as long as they got supervision?

Once again, I wonder how long it's been since you were there or did you even live there? Joplin is just like any other towns in midwest. I think you are being unfair to them by the blanket comment.

Learning the skills to do home construction under supervision, and learning the skills to run your own business so that you are self sufficient following that years apprenticeship are two very different things. While it is great that they will be learning a skill, to think that they will be ready to open their own business at the end of that year, or even ready to be hired by another company somewhere in the area so that they can maintain their home...that is another kettle of fish.

It takes balls, knowledge, and experience to open a business anywhere. That was my point. Not to mention capital, which is on short supply as well. ;) Add to that an area that is as devastated as Joplin right now, and the chance of these 8 workers being able to open their own business in order to maintain a household is slim to none. JMO

Back