The Homeless

Learning the skills to do home construction under supervision, and learning the skills to run your own business so that you are self sufficient following that years apprenticeship are two very different things. While it is great that they will be learning a skill, to think that they will be ready to open their own business at the end of that year, or even ready to be hired by another company somewhere in the area so that they can maintain their home...that is another kettle of fish.

Agree, I do assume it'll be few years and won't start their own business till they are ready. Only time will tell.

My family lives there, I was born there. I wonder how you know them compare to how I know them.

Gotta start somewhere, I got my skills cause a friend of mine hired me and taught me how to repair copiers. Training took almost a year.

Just like them, it'll take time and gotta learn on the job as I did. That is why he is planning to have his friend/right hand man go there and teach me and help them till they are able to stand on their own two feet. At least he is willing to give them a chance to learn a skill. I've gone to work on a house and I've never built a house before and I did just fine. Who's to say they won't do fine as long as they got supervision?

Once again, I wonder how long it's been since you were there or did you even live there? Joplin is just like any other towns in midwest. I think you are being unfair to them by the blanket comment.

Sorry if you think I was putting down Joplin. I have a friend who lives there (and thank God she is all right) and I always stop in the town to eat at my favorite Mexican restaurant when I am passing through. I do not apologize for calling it a redneck town, because it is. The people there are tough and down-to-earth and it was one of my favorite stops in all my travels.

It takes balls, knowledge, and experience to open a business anywhere. That was my point. Not to mention capital, which is on short supply as well. ;) Add to that an area that is as devastated as Joplin right now, and the chance of these 8 workers being able to open their own business in order to maintain a household is slim to none. JMO

Shhhhhh, shhhhhh. Someone is about to find out. ;)

Sorry if you think I was putting down Joplin. I have a friend who lives there (and thank God she is all right) and I always stop in the town to eat at my favorite Mexican restaurant when I am passing through. I do not apologize for calling it a redneck town, because it is. The people there are tough and down-to-earth and it was one of my favorite stops in all my travels.

Apparently you see redneck meaning differently than I do.

I know the Joplin people. Trust me, it won't be that easy earning their trust. They got burnt by scammers the last time they got hit by tornadoes in 72.
I sure wish TxGolfer the best of luck, though.

:ty: may have to go to Texas instead.....smh.... Watching my area get hammered now. Heck we might be working on my house. :lol:

It won't have a problem getting them work.....I've already been contacted. Hopefully they will be well received afterward.

It takes balls, knowledge, and experience to open a business anywhere. That was my point. Not to mention capital, which is on short supply as well. ;) Add to that an area that is as devastated as Joplin right now, and the chance of these 8 workers being able to open their own business in order to maintain a household is slim to none. JMO

:lol: it's not like I am going to bolt after a year. They will have plenty of cash and advisors to work with. Assuming they even want to stay.

I don't think that fed anyone.

See previous response. You have all this in the plans. To date, your plans have not fed anyone either, nor has it even been shown that they will be capable of being put into place?:cool2:

See previous response. You have all this in the plans. To date, your plans have not fed anyone either, nor has it even been shown that they will be capable of being put into place?:cool2:

I fed many the last 2 weeks......the other plan is already in action. :)

Now what do you plan to do to help? if nothing....then this thread probably isn't the right fit for you

Back