Students, Your questions answered here.

Wow people ask about marrying a deaf person "can we marry one of you" ???wtf some really strange questions,

You will be surprised the longer you are here. Just watch some of the newcomers.

I was told about 3 weeks ago about a deaf only swimming competition in Bulgaria. Does anyone have a knowledge about this?

I was told about 3 weeks ago about a deaf only swimming competition in Bulgaria. Does anyone have a knowledge about this?

Yes. It is part of the Deaflympics in July/August 2013 in Sofia, Bulgaria.

Yes. It is part of the Deaflympics in July/August 2013 in Sofia, Bulgaria.

Hmm, I should go to this Deaflympics. Bulgaria is a sorry sight for me, especially outside the cities. Very poor people. Spent times there for church service stuff.

Sofia is very beautiful, though! :)

Cool! A good friend of mine said he was going, but I didn't believe him at first. He is going to represent Bolivia for Swimming.

Hello everyone

I'm a dutch student, who is doing his internship at Sencity in Holland. Sencity is the only dutch music event for deaf people. So in the last couple of months, ive had my first introduction to the deaf scene.
For school i have to do a research, make a concept and write a plan. And i'm doing my research about deaf culture, the image and the development of that culture. My concept is about a discussion platform, where deaf people can debate against each other. (with help from translators and sense stimulating factors)

So i have a couple of questions for you, and i hope u can awnser them :wave:
1. Do you think that hearing people, know enough about deaf culture and their opinions?
2. Do you have the need, to show more of your opinion to the hearing world?
2. Do you have the need for a public discussion platform for deaf people?

The answer can be a simple yes or no, if you feel the need to give more info, that would be great :)

Thanks!
Im looking forward to your reactions.

Hello everyone

I'm a dutch student, who is doing his internship at Sencity in Holland. Sencity is the only dutch music event for deaf people. So in the last couple of months, ive had my first introduction to the deaf scene.
For school i have to do a research, make a concept and write a plan. And i'm doing my research about deaf culture, the image and the development of that culture. My concept is about a discussion platform, where deaf people can debate against each other. (with help from translators and sense stimulating factors)

So i have a couple of questions for you, and i hope u can awnser them :wave:
1. Do you think that hearing people, know enough about deaf culture and their opinions?
2. Do you have the need, to show more of your opinion to the hearing world?
2. Do you have the need for a public discussion platform for deaf people?

The answer can be a simple yes or no, if you feel the need to give more info, that would be great :)

Thanks!
Im looking forward to your reactions.

Deaf world is small, and most hearing people won't even encounter a Deaf person.
As for a public discussion platform for the deaf, here it is...

Thanks for the answer!
This is indeed a public place, but im guessing there aren't a lot of hearing people here. And i think that's a shame. I love deaf culture. Not thinking in restrictions but in possibilities. I think that because, people that dont encounter deaf people, it would be interessting to see them debate about populair issues (maybe a tv format, once again its just a concept.)

Any link to Skype or other chat rooms for deaf people? I am a hearing sign student looking for others to practice. I am yet to meet one deaf person in my life. Thanks.

Hi! My name's Emily! I'm a high school senior and i'm doing my project on Deaf Culture. I chose this project after visiting my sisters college Lenoir-Rhyne University in Hickory NC and saw two students conversing in ASL. Immediatley I was mesmerized! I thought it was beautiful and interesting and I couldn't wait to learn more about it! Anywho I have some questions (actually I have a lot); if anyone can answer them I would really appreciate it! Thanks in advnace! :)

7. How do you feel about cochlear implants?
24. Have you ever encountered a deaf person from another country? If so did you have trouble communicating with them?
27. Do you have a license? If given the opportunity what would you like to say to those in the hearing community who don’t think it’s safe for the deaf to drive?

Yeah that was definitely a buttload of questions however these three did interest me as well. A)Most of my deaf friends are antimplants they see it as taking away from their culture etc what's the majority concensus her on cochlear implants? I'm also curious how similar ASL is to sign languages in other countries. B)Could someone whom understands and uses ASL be able to effectively communicate with someone whom only knows say BSL? C)I'm also curious about the licences and the prejuduced opinions about deaf people driving. I have mostly deaf friends these days. At least 9 or more can drive and have cars. 2 live at home (under 21) and their hearing parents don't want them to get their licenses, 1 is afraid to drive and 1 is 18 has a license but still saving for a car.

Yeah that was definitely a buttload of questions however these three did interest me as well. A)Most of my deaf friends are antimplants they see it as taking away from their culture etc what's the majority concensus her on cochlear implants? I'm also curious how similar ASL is to sign languages in other countries. B)Could someone whom understands and uses ASL be able to effectively communicate with someone whom only knows say BSL? C)I'm also curious about the licences and the prejuduced opinions about deaf people driving. I have mostly deaf friends these days. At least 9 or more can drive and have cars. 2 live at home (under 21) and their hearing parents don't want them to get their licenses, 1 is afraid to drive and 1 is 18 has a license but still saving for a car.

A: Most people today have no problem with CI as long as ASL is there for the child.

B: Not in just sign language, no.

C: Deaf people are statistically much safer drivers than hearing. The only restrictions usually are out side mirrors required.

A: Most people today have no problem with CI as long as ASL is there for the child.

B: Not in just sign language, no.

C: Deaf people are statistically much safer drivers than hearing. The only restrictions usually are out side mirrors required.

So the sign languages are very different from country to country. Thanks I appreciate you taking the time to answer. Aren't all cars required to have outside mirrors? Mine has the side door lookback mirrors on both sides of the car's front seat. I thought all cars did. They seem the same as the ones on my deaf friend's cars. Do you mean some type of extra outside window?

So the sign languages are very different from country to country. Thanks I appreciate you taking the time to answer. Aren't all cars required to have outside mirrors? Mine has the side door lookback mirrors on both sides of the car's front seat. I thought all cars did. They seem the same as the ones on my deaf friend's cars. Do you mean some type of extra outside window?

No, same mirrors. Cars didn't used to always have both sides, and it was sometimes written on the restrictions on the license, just as a requirement for corrective lenses for people who need glasses is. It is just a little code on the license itself.

Ah, I didn't realize this about older cars, I'm only turning 22 on September 20th!

help a poor italian student to find information for her thesis

hi,i'm an italian university student researching my thesis on the differences in the socio-emotive development between deaf people who use sign language and the ones who use the aural.i was wondering if anyone could point me towards articles on this topic.in italy sign language has been illegal since 1880,and my aim is to demonstrate that this has made deaf people's development much slower,and hopefully eventually help put pressure on the government to re-introduce sign language in the country.thank you in advance to anyone who can give me a hand,messages and e-mails are immensely welcome.cheers everyone. :wave:

hi,i'm an italian university student researching my thesis on the differences in the socio-emotive development between deaf people who use sign language and the ones who use the aural.i was wondering if anyone could point me towards articles on this topic.in italy sign language has been illegal since 1880,and my aim is to demonstrate that this has made deaf people's development much slower,and hopefully eventually help put pressure on the government to re-introduce sign language in the country.thank you in advance to anyone who can give me a hand,messages and e-mails are immensely welcome.cheers everyone. :wave:

It isn't illegal, it just isn't an official recognized language. And having a language recognized doesn't always do a lot to help in any real way.

In Florida, my license has the "required to have side mirror" restriction. That was an interesting conversation at the DMV with me giving plenty of the :doh: looks and raised eyebrows... lol!

Also, ASL can range from states too, I have a friend who lives in California now, and some of her signs are a bit different from mine "being a Floridian" that I was raised with. Nothing too terribly different, but we've had to ask each other to finger spell signs on occasion. :dunno:

Hello there everyone!

I am a hearing student at a four-year university in southern California, and I am currently taking a class on cross-cultural psychology. One of our assignments is to interview someone (or multiple people) from another culture and make an informal presentation about their culture to the class. As we don't have any deaf/hard of hearing (hoh) students in our school, and I am interested in becoming a teacher/translator at a deaf school in Mexico post-graduation, I thought it would be awesome to educate my peers about deaf culture and learn more myself! Anyone out there willing to answer a few questions for me? If so, please respond to the following questions in a comment below! You will have my eternal gratitude, and a great number of brownie/cool points.

1. Are you deaf or hard-of-hearing?

2. If not, how did you become a part of a deaf/hoh community? If so, how long have you been a part of the deaf/hoh community?

3. What country do you live in? If you live in the US, what state?

4. What does your community look like? I.E. are you part of a deaf/hoh family, school, club, etc.? (If you are the only deaf/hoh person in your immediate acquaintance, feel free to skip question 5.)

5. What is unique about your deaf/hoh culture? In other words, are there any traditions, shared values, or activities (besides using sign language) that set you apart from the hearing communities in your area?

6. How are the deaf/hoh viewed by the hearing in your country/state/area?

7. How does the hearing community in general treat your culture? Are they usually respectful, or are you often misunderstood/mistreated?

8. What is the most culturally sensitive (appropriate/polite) way for a hearing person to interact with a deaf/hoh person when starting a conversation?

9. (Optional) What is the worst experience you have had while interacting with someone from a hearing culture?

10. (Optional) What is the best experience you have had while interacting with someone from a hearing culture?

11. If you could get all of those in the hearing community to listen to you for one moment, what would you tell them? (This is less of a formal question, and more of an opportunity for you to add any information or opinions that the previous questions did not allow for.)

Thank you so VERY much for your time and your responses! This is a huge part of my grade, plus I am genuinely interested in your answers, so this means the world to me! You rock!

Back