Special moments with Mark

Angel1989

Premium Member
Reaction score
Calvin approved this......I think a lot of us need a place to share our thoughts about Mark. Please post positive memories, messages, pictures here. The other thread regarding the fire will be updated with information when it is made available.

Mark had a lot of fears, but he encouraged me to think of Chicago for our retirement, telling me how wonderful it was , and assuring me that it wasn't nearly as dangerous as it's reputation, and perfectly safe during daytime hours.

He had so much enthusiasm for his adopted city, and he found so many interesting things to show in photographs.

I wish someone could make a book of the photos he shared with us.

While visiting family in Chicago we went to meet up with Mark. We took the train to the Ogilvie Train Station, all planned out very carefully by Mark of course. We knew which train, what number, what stop, what time etc. My first time riding the train. Mark took an hour earlier train so he would not be late. We met Mark at the bottom of the escalator, he had a big grin on his face. Mark could not hear, I could not sign, but we were able to communicate just fine. We had a nice lunch then he excitedly, walking very fast, showed us around downtown Chicago. Luckily we took a few pictures. My husband lived in Chicago for many years yet never had a tour as nice as that one. When it was time for us to leave, Mark walked us back and waited until our train was safely on it's way. We were talking about meeting up again this August, we were both looking forward to it.

Mark and I would meet at least twice a month. He met my ex-girlfriend twice. I asked if he would help with any questions my ex had about her laptop. He was more than willing to help her out.

After my Grandma passed away, my family was tasked with cleaning out Grandma's apartment. Mark was willing to buy 2 tall bookshelves. I gave him a great deal on them.

We went to Lincolnwood Mall twice. I've always enjoyed my time with him there. We would talk about our Cardinals/Cubs rivalry.

We often talked about bicycles. He would often text me and warn me about storm or heavy snow coming our way.

There's some more too, but I'll stop here for now.

Mark was compassionate and he showed that whenever I posted about something not so good, he would reply with condolences or suggestions on how to improve the situation. I never really got close to him because I don't come here on AD often like I used to.

Mark and I talked a lot more in PM than in the public eye. I got to know him one on one which he preferred it that way. We talked a lot about photography and some of the tourist sites such as Navy Pier to Chicago deep pizza. I love Chicago style pizza he said if I ever come and visit he would like to meet up and show me around and Chicago deep pizza on the list he knew the best places. I mentioned to him a long time ago that I saw a photo book all about Chicago popular sites and that book made me want to visit those sites I saw in the book. After our conversation , he began to snap pics and share with us. I would visit here and find his pics amazing. I would check in on him from time to time and was looking forward to reunite with him but I am late

I'm remembering a post on 2/13 when Mark was feeling anxious, I had given him some suggestions about how to calm down, and I made a self deprecating remark, he came back with all kinds of laugh icons and said he needed that laugh. (post # 4674). So, I will always think of Mark laughing, which I don't think he did very often.

I was impressed with his intelligence,his thoughtfulness and how he could work on improving his problem areas. He was different and that made him remarkable.

While visiting family in Chicago we went to meet up with Mark. We took the train to the Ogilvie Train Station, all planned out very carefully by Mark of course. We knew which train, what number, what stop, what time etc. My first time riding the train. Mark took an hour earlier train so he would not be late. We met Mark at the bottom of the escalator, he had a big grin on his face. Mark could not hear, I could not sign, but we were able to communicate just fine. We had a nice lunch then he excitedly, walking very fast, showed us around downtown Chicago. Luckily we took a few pictures. My husband lived in Chicago for many years yet never had a tour as nice as that one. When it was time for us to leave, Mark walked us back and waited until our train was safely on it's way. We were talking about meeting up again this August, we were both looking forward to it.

Could you post that lovely photo of you and Mark here too? He had just nice a warm smile, it could light up a room.

Mark had a lot of fears, but he encouraged me to think of Chicago for our retirement, telling me how wonderful it was , and assuring me that it wasn't nearly as dangerous as it's reputation, and perfectly safe during daytime hours.

He had so much enthusiasm for his adopted city, and he found so many interesting things to show in photographs.

I wish someone could make a book of the photos he shared with us.

I wish I had a good computer to do something nice with his pictures. I know Shutterfly bought out a company called Groovebook. With GrooveBook you can download quite a few pictures and they put them in a small little book. Kind of like those Grandma brag books.

Mark's pictures would be great in a big coffee table book. The city of Chicago Tourist department could make an amazing Come See Chicago in Christmas book. That would be amazing if it actually happened. All proceeds could go to his parents and maybe even a memorial somewhere for Mark.

Botti, "Stop Winter"

I'm always so proud of myself when I figure out your signed message. Makes me laugh at myself. HAHA

I wish I had a good computer to do something nice with his pictures. I know Shutterfly bought out a company called Groovebook. With GrooveBook you can download quite a few pictures and they put them in a small little book. Kind of like those Grandma brag books.

Mark's pictures would be great in a big coffee table book. The city of Chicago Tourist department could make an amazing Come See Chicago in Christmas book. That would be amazing if it actually happened. All proceeds could go to his parents and maybe even a memorial somewhere for Mark.

It would be nice if there could be a memorial fund, not to his parents, but to something like providing little extras to people who were in the same situation as Mark.

I remember he made a special point to share food with an elderly woman in the place he was living when he first got here. And even when he left there , he didn't forget her and went back to bring her food.

Was roommates with Mark when we were in high school for a short time in 2001.

Will never forget his ability to recall precise details, was jealous of his memory recall mastery.

Never will forget our jokes. Good and bad. I am 100% sure Mark journaled everything that happened with when time it happened and date it happened when I was there. In the ashes were stacks of notebooks with his details of his life that was extraordinary.

I remember when he wanted to go to Pete's Grill right by Howard Red Line. I had originally resisted this idea. I didn't think the area was so great. I then decided that if he wanted to go, then the area can't be this bad.

I'm very thankful for the opportunity to dine out at a very well priced place. I've not decided on whether to go there again or not.

:aw:These stories are all beautiful, I like them all in a sad way.

I remember simply how kind he was on the forum. I thought sometime maybe some Midwestern AD'ers maybe could get together and that I might get to meet him then.

He and I talked about his pictures and the places he went to - places that my dad loves also and grew up around. One year for my dad's birthday I bought him a Chicago sights "coffee table" book, like what Angel mentions here, and now when I see that book at my folks home I'll also think of Mark.

Angel and Calvin, :ty:/thanks for the thread.

Mark was a great guy, I know we all gave him a little rub, just being funny, not mean, but we have talked through PM's and he was a good guy to know. I was hoping to plan a little meet this summer with Derek as well, just a little get away and meet a few people over the summer. Maybe Ill take a trip and pay some respect to Mark when time permits. RIP to a great man who left too soon.

Back