Sorenson's position on FCC

Should Sorenson videphone be allowed to other VRS providers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

qwerty123

Reaction score
If you are interested to know what is Sorenson's position on FCC rulings dated Jan 26, 2005 and recent petition on interoperatblity videophone.

go to http://www.sorensonvrs.com/fcc/index.php.

My opinion - FCC will probably turn down the petition.

I sent my comment to FCC in support of the interoperability petition citing it'd be very unfair to all the long distance carriers who give out freebies like $19 per month DSL accounts and cant restrict their long distance callers to their companies.

Sorenson should not restrict the choices of their customers.

Richard

I saw the specific Sorenson page I want to command them for using the flash videos for the first time to explain things out in ASL. However, their interoperability comment section is totally misleading;

In my opinion, requiring interoperability of video equipment would reduce the amount of innovation that is introduced by VRS providers and ultimately less functional equivalency. There would be little incentive for VRS providers to develop more functionally equivalent solutions if they had to provide their improvements to competing providers. Please do not implement an interoperability requirement for VRS equipment.

They did not 'innovate' their VRS program. They are being accused of stealing it from HOVRS as it says in the lawsuit papers linked below.

http://www.deafadvocacy.com/deafwatch/cn030927151.pdf

Dont let Sorenson VRS dictate your choices and dont let Sorenson VRS carve up the deaf community either!

Richard

Nesmuth said:
they did not 'innovate' their VRS program. They are being accused of stealing it from HOVRS as it says in the lawsuit papers linked below.

http://www.deafadvocacy.com/deafwatch/cn030927151.pdf

Richard

Accused or not, Sorenson developed the video communications for the last TEN YEARS. HOVRS and all other s did not develop anything for the video communication.

Sorenson had other products such as Visionlink which is a computer program with web cam and allows video connection between deaf people. Had Envision hardware and software which didnt fare too well. Lastly they had EnVision and EnVison-SL computer programs. Thye have contributed a lot to the deaf community and you re back stabbing? THis is your style. HOVRS didnt even exist when Sorenson had all of these products.

So, I dont see how HOVRS 'steals" the business plans from Sorenson. Anyway, the Sorenson's boat is still rock steady and youre wasting all of your valuable resources. You may jump, bang, rock, drill holes in the boat to make it like siwss cheese, but Sorenson will not sink.

Lets see how the poll results fare.

Nesmuth said:
I sent my comment to FCC in support of the interoperability petition citing it'd be very unfair to all the long distance carriers who give out freebies like $19 per month DSL accounts and cant restrict their long distance callers to their companies.

Sorenson should not restrict the choices of their customers.

Richard

Congralations. Grab a bigger shiny star and stick it on your forehead.

Nesmuth said:
Dont let Sorenson VRS dictate your choices and dont let Sorenson VRS carve up the deaf community either!

Richard

Richard
well, youre off, way way off the point. how can more than half of VRS users in USA still using Sorenson? Here is press release, see I told you before you cant rock Sorenson's boat, even you glorify the 15 months old lawsuit between HOVRS and Sorenson, ya still panting from your dinghy? time to pull your dinghy air plug. this makes your title, Deaf Activist Emeritus, less appealing :nana: :nana:

Press release from Sorenson

Sorenson Media Supports Recent FCC Changes and is in Compliance with all Rulings

FCC Clarifies Position on Use of Proprietary Video Relay Service Equipment

SALT LAKE CITY (March 7, 2005) – Sorenson Media today announced its support of the recent rulings and clarifications issued by the Federal communications Commission (FCC) regarding video relay service (VRS) for the deaf and hard-of-hearing community, and confirmed that the company is in full compliance with all FCC rulings and policies.

One of the most significant recent FCC rulings is that a VRS provider may require that its proprietary equipment be used exclusively in conjunction with its own VRS. However, VRS providers must obtain "informed consent" from consumers in order to restrict their equipment from being used to contact other VRS providers. Consumers may obtain service from any VRS service provider in the marketplace, and are free to utilize multiple providers if they so choose.

"We applaud the FCC’s wisdom in creating a policy that protects the long-term interests of both the deaf community and providers of VRS equipment and services," said Pat Nola, COO of Sorenson Media. "This policy preserves the incentive for VRS providers to invest in the creation of superior products and services for the deaf community. It enables Sorenson Media to wholeheartedly pursue our mission of creating the world’s finest video communication equipment and providing it to the deaf community free of charge."

Sorenson Media was the first company to bring videophones to the deaf community. The company spent a decade of research and many millions of dollars developing the industry-leading D-Link i2eye™ and Sorenson VP-100™ videophones.

Sorenson Media currently provides Sorenson VP-100 videophones to its VRS customers free of charge, together with free installation and customer support. There is no minimum usage requirement. Each Sorenson VP-100 videophone is shipped with a license agreement informing customers that the Sorenson VP-100 videophone is only to be used with Sorenson VRS®. Customers are free to have additional video relay devices to contact other VRS providers.

For further information on the FCC rulings and Sorenson Media’s compliance, visit http://www.sorensonvrs.com/fcc

About Sorenson Media

Sorenson Media (www.sorenson.com and www.sorensonvrs.com) is the recognized technology leader in video services, video compression, and video communication to improve the quality of communication over the Internet. The company's products and services include the industry's highest-quality video relay service, award-winning video compression solutions, and the market-leading broadband Internet videophone technology.

# # # # # # # #

Press Contact

David Parkinson

Sorenson Media

dparks@sorenson.com

I don't really care that Sorensen has a special button on the main screen for calling their VRS operator.

What I don't like is their blocking of outgoing IPs entered manually or stored on SpeedDial. Especially when they post a call-back notice.

We use Sprint Relay Online for outgoing calls.

At least we can still receive SprintVRS calls. We give out our SprintVRS + extension number, so incoming Sorenson calls won't happen anytime soon.

They get paid for their services and licensing of the technology to the other manufacturers, so it seems to me they better kick it up a notch and improve where it counts.

Steve

I'd rather stay with SorensonVRS because I heard that other VRS companies will be near obsolete at the year's end.

Steve said:
I don't really care that Sorensen has a special button on the main screen for calling their VRS operator.

What I don't like is their blocking of outgoing IPs entered manually or stored on SpeedDial. Especially when they post a call-back notice.

We use Sprint Relay Online for outgoing calls.

At least we can still receive SprintVRS calls. We give out our SprintVRS + extension number, so incoming Sorenson calls won't happen anytime soon.

They get paid for their services and licensing of the technology to the other manufacturers, so it seems to me they better kick it up a notch and improve where it counts.

Steve

Use your web cam to make a outgoing call to Sprint VRS, then hang up. Sprint will return your call on your VP 100. That will work only if you have placed your VP 100 on the DMZ of your router AND the call back is allowed by FCC (FCC ruling on Jan 26 says no call back).

Your statement of saying that IP address for outgoing calls are blocked on your SpeedDial, care to elaborate? To me, it is not an accurate statement. VP 100 will block any IP of other VRS providers, but not consumer's IP addresses.

qwerty123 said:
Use your web cam to make a outgoing call to Sprint VRS, then hang up. Sprint will return your call on your VP 100. That will work only if you have placed your VP 100 on the DMZ of your router AND the call back is allowed by FCC (FCC ruling on Jan 26 says no call back).

Call me paranoid, but I won't set up a DMZ on my router. The videophone works fine with the required ports set.

qwerty123 said:
Your statement of saying that IP address for outgoing calls are blocked on your SpeedDial, care to elaborate? To me, it is not an accurate statement. VP 100 will block any IP of other VRS providers, but not consumer's IP addresses.

It's vague to make a point. I set up SprintVRS's IP on SpeedDial and it didn't work. Sorenson went through the trouble to block IPs, or range of IPs. They clearly show their ability to block anyone at anytime. If they want to, they could block anyone else's IP, including yours and mine.

Steve

Deaf258 said:
I'd rather stay with SorensonVRS because I heard that other VRS companies will be near obsolete at the year's end.

Never going to happen. Obsolete is what Sorenson wants you to think. Videophones will never go away, and the DVC-1000 license expiring is FAKE, misleading information.

"Blah.. Blah.. Blah.. I like to talk out of my own ass!" said the Anti-Sorenson.

Dennis said:
Never going to happen. Obsolete is what Sorenson wants you to think. Videophones will never go away, and the DVC-1000 license expiring is FAKE, misleading information.

How is the license fake?? Who came up with the video codecs? Without Sorenson, how was D-Link able to come up with such a good videophone? As far as I know, Sorenson owns the patent rights. When the license expires.. Buh-bye!

Whether SorensonVRS wanted me to think that or not.. I have seen and heard how they progressed and had an insight on their history of business ventures. HOVRS and SprintVRS made a stupid business mistake... They had a chance to have a big bite of this big apple pie that Sorenson was willing to share in the past. Those two companies are now angry, whining bitching, and "sue-happy" (in HOVRS' case, yes, but dunno about SprintVRS) about missing out on a good business deal. Sorry, the big boat of money has left the dock. Captian SorensonVRS has sailed on the rich waters while Sailor HOVRS and Sailor SprintVRS are stranded, standing on the shore of the island named, "Bad Business Sense"! Now, I hope HOVRS is not in the process of proving itself to be a perfect subject in the "Crab Theory" and pinch the other stranded VRS companies to death on that island!

For those who still whine and bitch about the restrictions on Sorenson's VP-100s, take the damn thing back and buy your own. GET OVER IT!! If you can't get over it, I hope to God that someone just slap the stupid shit out of your brain right now and install a healthy dose of good ol' common sense! SorensonVRS just recently posted an announcement that they are in COMPLIANCE with FCC Rulings. Duhuhuhuhuhuh! Learn to READ. If you are able to read my post, that is no excuse for not reading your agreement with SorensonVRS. You can read this word: READ?? Can you spell the word: READ?? "ARrr, Eeee, Ayeee, Deee!!" Yay!! (shakes hands in air to applaud you) Here's one gold star sticker for your forehead! :D You spelled the most sacred, legal word correctly!! Now.. The Terms of Service and agreement clearly stated they have every right to impose the restrictions on people who use SorensonVRS because it is their product with their software. If you don't like it, take it back and stop being a pussy about it! Better yet, buy your own damn D-Link with no restrictions! The VP-100 belongs to Sorenson's. If you still disagree with this concept, I'd love to see you ALSO whine and bitch to Danger.com and T-mobile.com for "monopolizing" the services to all Sidekicks. Danger.com owns the rights to the Sidekicks. SorensonVRS owns the rights to the VP-100s. End of story.

If you think you "know everything", Mr. I-worked-for-SprintVRS, why don't you prove it? I know I don't have to prove anything to you. I am perfectly satisfied I got my information straight from SorensonVRS and no one else. I am satisfied with them and will always use their service. If they happen to have developed their own AIM Relay bot, I will immediately and gladly use it. The information I came into contact with gave me a clear picture and understanding that other VRS companies WILL be in danger of being near obsolete at the end of this year. It is not a rumor.

As some of you heard about this certain someone who hasn't gotten a VP-100 for many months, I suspect SorensonVRS knows who this certain someone is and would not send a VP-100 to this person. This person has attacked and did a lot of backstabbing on SorensonVRS and their employees. As I recall, there are some businesses that reserves the right to deny service to other customers with bad business practices. Just as the same as T-Mobile denying service to some people because of bad credit or other reasons. I am going to double-check on this with SorensonVRS and re-read their terms of service and see if they said anything about reserving the right to provide or deny service to certain people. This crabby person needs to pull the corn cob out of his arse, clean the crusty build-up from his own eyes, and GET OVER IT!

If I hear or read anymore bitch-rants about SorensonVRS and VP-100, I will repeat myself until your eyes turn dark-red and get sick of reading these words:
"TAKE IT BACK OR STFU!"

ROFL @ Deaf258!.. Damn that was one good laugh. :giggle:

Afraid I don't have SorensonVRS, because I still have 56K dial up pieces of junk. :lol: But, I agree with Deaf258, If you don't like it take it back get another one. I have heard some good things about SorensonVRS even most of my friends have one of their own and love it. So I would love to get one somedays for myself and chat with my friends with it face to face that would be so awesome. ;)

Deaf258 said:
Whether SorensonVRS wanted me to think that or not.. I have seen and heard how they progressed and had an insight on their history of business ventures. HOVRS and SprintVRS made a stupid business mistake... They had a chance to have a big bite of this big apple pie that Sorenson was willing to share in the past. Those two companies are now angry, whining bitching, and "sue-happy" (in HOVRS' case, yes, but dunno about SprintVRS) about missing out on a good business deal. Sorry, the big boat of money has left the dock. Captian SorensonVRS has sailed on the rich waters while Sailor HOVRS and Sailor SprintVRS are stranded, standing on the shore of the island named, "Bad Business Sense"! Now, I hope HOVRS is not in the process of proving itself to be a perfect subject in the "Crab Theory" and pinch the other stranded VRS companies to death on that island!

That is TRUE. Jon Hodson from Sorenson approached HOVRS, MCI, Sprint and other TRS providers and they didnt think that VP100 would work, so Sorenson went ahead and set up their own call center, first center is in Salt Lake City.

They are still using web cams with lousy picture quality and added Dlink DVC 1000 long after Sorenson opened several other call centers. This is when they realized that the big boat with money has left the island long before.

So, its a big loss for them. in March 2004, Sorenson blocked all other VRS providers and now everyone is bitching? What about the 15 month old lawsuit that Richard Roehm is trying to glorifying? My guts tells me that Sorenson legal team will go after him.

Remember, FCC's VRS reimebursement was $14-17 per minute (later it was quickly revised downward to $7.55), Sorenson reaped big time and blossomed!

What's more? Sorenson developed VP200, which is OEM (original equipment manufacturer) and it is desgined for large corporations such as IBM, Microsoft or even Ford. Again, all of the TRS providers are still missing the boat. It is not a rumor cuz I have the information.

Remember, Sorenson own video codec and patented it which makes it excellent video compression. Even your Quicktime player has it (windows or mac!). You go to a theatre to watch a movie - you see all of these preview trailers and advertisements - Sorenson codec!

Inside information from Sorenson mentioned that the license agreement between Dlink and Sorenson to develop videophones EXPIRED and DIDNT RENEW.

What's even more??? Put on your seat beats and put your hands on your cheeks. The domain name, deafvp.com was sold for $1.2 million bux (not a typo error one point two MILLION dollars). So, Eric Simmons of Texas is happy former owner of domain name - deafvp.com.

the sailors stranded on the island probably go nuts and say "oh fuck, oh FUCK".

Cheri said:
ROFL @ Deaf258!.. Damn that was one good laugh. :giggle:

Afraid I don't have SorensonVRS, because I still have 56K dial up pieces of junk. :lol: But, I agree with Deaf258, If you don't like it take it back get another one. I have heard some good things about SorensonVRS even most of my friends have one of their own and love it. So I would love to get one somedays for myself and chat with my friends with it face to face that would be so awesome. ;)

Right, take it back or ebay it if you dont like SVRS.

qwerty123 said:
the sailors stranded on the island probably go nuts and say "oh fuck, oh FUCK".

LOL!! That's right! Thank you!! When I lurked and read on AD during my 37 day hiatus from AllDeaf, I knew you knew what was going on with VP-100/VP-200. It is nice to finally have someone else to support SorensonVRS' position on this forum. Yeah, as I was saying.. I am sticking with SorensonVRS because of the upcoming VP-200. SorensonVRS will own a better, faster, clearer videphone that other relay services cannot handle. It's simply because the VRS companies don't have the programming and the technology to use VP-200. I wonder what the VP-200'll look like..

Deaf258 said:

it wont happen. my city will have second VRS centers. those vrs centers are growing.

deafclimber said:
it wont happen. my city will have second VRS centers. those vrs centers are growing.

Trust me.. It'll happen, unless they come up with a better videophone relay system or swallow their pride and sign a contract or agreement with Sorenson.

I vote that I don't give DAMN!!!

Hey why do you think I don't give damn about restriction placed by Sorenson? It is all because I was able to get FREE VP from ALL of these 3 VRS that provides free VP devices!!! So, hence that I have 4 VP, 2 from Sorenson, and I have third one from Hamilton VRS, and 4th from Sprint VRS... So WTF? I don't have to deal with restriction placed by Sorenson. I just flip two or three VP and wait for whichever interpreter shows up, then cancel the rest. I ended up always get interpreter less than 30 seconds!!! It worked for me so well that I don't give DAMN about restriction on Sorenson VP. Plus I can understand WHY Sorenson wants to restrict their VP to themselves... it is all about programming itself... The only disadvantage of using Dlink VP is that I have to look up phone book and sign to the interpreter the phone number whom I want to call to. Verses Sorenson, I can pull down menu and click that number to call. So...
Why do all whining about Sorenson? If you don't like Sorenson, then don't use them, use others and they DO offer free VP... So :wtf:

In additional to my opinion... Some of you think one VRS is best... Well, for one day, that VRS may be the best, the other day that same VRS can be the worst one... So none of VRS is best 100% of the time... so go ahead get 2 or more VP for yourself, its free what there is to lose? Also, if one becomes obsolete, what you got to lose? you haven't paid a penny on that VP! :ugh:

Trust me... If one of those VRS provider ask you if you have one VP already... tell them Yeah... and they will give you another one for free!!! I tested that done that, and sure enough I got them anyway! :rofl:

DHB

Sorenson aint the only ones making the video codecs we use, we got White Pine, Windows, Aware, WDM, and DirectShow among the dozens of companies that develop it.

Richard

Back