Should I fight for an interpreter?

So, looks like you fully believe he should have an interpreter for extracurricular activities, and you have the law to back you up, but those involved with the school and other advocates who make up your iep team don't interpret the law in the same way and think youare being unreasonable, hmm?

I'm surprised no one here has successfully made a case to get their children an after school interpreter and can give you some tips on what went into making the case as clear to the iep team as it is to you. Or maybe we just haven't heard yet from those with experience doing it.

Would be nice if people actually answered you with constructive approaches you could take to make this happen and reassure you that it can happen despite all that you've heard to the contrary.

I'd have thought that Jillio and PFH might have addressed this at some point, Jillio, wasn't your child in a mainstream environment briefly, or not long enough or at an age to encounter this need? PFH, is your daughter at an ASL / bibi school for the deaf or at an oral deaf school? Does she utilize interpreters in the academic or extracurricular environment at all?

Aside from these two, I rarely see parents of Deaf children who aren't aided or using CIs on this board anymore, I wish wee beastie and rockdrummer were here to contribute, I think eyd be more willing to share their experience rather than slam you for asking if you are being unreasonable in your expectation of interpreters for your child's after hours.

Post 13 is why.

Post 13 is why.

You wont answer her and tell her how you had achieved this because she objected to being accused of not caring for her son's needs, when that concern is exactly why she posted here for support ?

CSign;1832317[B said:
]So your daughter will never participate in any extracurricular activities with hearing peers?[/B] Thanks for the insight.

Is that a bad thing?

Last edited:
You wont answer her and tell her how you had achieved this because she objected to being accused of not caring for her son's needs, when that concern is exactly why she posted here for support ?

Its basically a society rule if someones being an ass, you don't bother wasting time with them. :)

But if you feel like you want her to have help, be my guest. I'm not gonna waste my time with her specifically.

Yes, get an interpreter for your child so he wont have to endure what I went through being mainstreamed.

FJ anybody? :P

:laugh2:
You are so bad deaf skeptic!

...actually, she might be a good resource -- not only did she go through a terp program, but her child was fully ASL-only for a long term, attended an ASL only school for a bit, and I think they employed terps on a regular basis. And Im pretty sure she went to the mat for everything on her child's iep.

So your daughter will never participate in any extracurricular activities with hearing peers? Thanks for the insight.

Is participating in extracurricular activities at school with hearing people a must? Will there be absolutely no other opportunities your son will have for interaction with the hearing?

It has been my observation that those deaf who were "isolated" at a deaf school often get along well their hearing peers when they enter the workforce.

I hope the HELL you're joking!! And what parent ask if they should fight for their kids!

She was being snotty, but the question seems like a no-brainer.

You want something for your kid that you know the school district is gonna balk at, you freakin' fight it! That is, if you want your child fully included in what is going on around him/her. If not, you leave it alone and let the kid fend for himself.... :roll:

(and yes, I'm being sarcastic too... ) I would NEVER allow a deaf child be in a situation where they would have to fend for themselves! But, some parents would. Sad.

After reading the rest of this thread, I see frisky is absolutely correct.

She was being snotty, but the question seems like a no-brainer.

You want something for your kid that you know the school district is gonna balk at, you freakin' fight it! That is, if you want your child fully included in what is going on around him/her. If not, you leave it alone and let the kid fend for himself.... :roll:

(and yes, I'm being sarcastic too... ) I would NEVER allow a deaf child be in a situation where they would have to fend for themselves! But, some parents would. Sad.

Welcome back ocean! Agreed. Big question, though, is how she can make her case if they are asking. Seems like someone here must have encountered this need in the past and made a case that would stick.

Welcome back ocean! Agreed. Big question, though, is how she can make her case if they are asking. Seems like someone here must have encountered this need in the past and made a case that would stick.

After reading the title and the OP, that is not the question.

After reading the rest of this thread, I see frisky is absolutely correct.

I totally agree with her too. I asked the OP that question about if it was a bad thing because I wanted to make sure that my thinking was correct and not get accused for making assumptions.

My parents had to fight with the district to get me interpreters for my basketball and track-and-field practices/meets. It took a lot of phone calls and meetings, if I remember correctly.

What I take issue with is her question: "Do you guys think I should fight for it, or let it go?"

Grendel, I know you all too well as a mom that if there was anything you wanted for Li-Li, you wouldn't just let it go. We've seen plenty of evidence of that. :) I think no one here disputes what a great mom you are. So when people here start giving CSign flak over her post, I actually think it's warranted. Is she so close-minded to think that despite any failure or victory in obtaining an interpreter for these types of activities, or despite whether her son is mainstreamed or at a deaf school, that there would be no interaction with her son's hearing peers? I do believe her response to PFH was really uncalled for, regardless of whether how tactful his response was or not. And that set the tone for the rest of this thread.

BRB.....gotta check pitchfork and kerosene futures on Bloomberg

My son is mainstreamed full time, with an interpreter for the duration of the school day. Last year, I requested use of his FM in his extracurricular activities. District initially said no, which I was prepared for and provided them with relevant Ed codes. It was a challenge, but I finally got them to agree to it.

We had part one of his two part IEP, at which I requested an interpreter for some of his extracurricular activities. The district said they, " aren't obligated to provide one outside school hours" which isn't true. However, it will be a fight to get them to agree to it.

I know how I feel (he needs the terp, I don't want him missing pieces of what's going on), but a lot of people are giving me flack for it. He has decent residual hearing, but a severe hearing loss nonetheless.

Do you guys think I should fight for it, or let it go? I'm definitely leaning more towards fighting for his right to a terp, but having others perspective would be helpful for me to make the final determination.

Two things.....yes you should fight for it. But there may be more than one way to fight. I would fight the district but would also seek creative ways to raise funds at the same time. Given the budget cuts in California schools you are going to catch ALOT of flak. That doesn't mean your child doesn't deserve the terp though. If you need ideas feel free to PM me.

Back