Votes: 7 11.3%
  • No

Votes: 48 77.4%
  • Not sure

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I dont care

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
Not quite true. A 16 year old student did rape a 6 year old on the bus going home for weekend.

And that could have just as easily happened to a hearing student going home on a bus. That has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it was 2 students from a deaf school. It happens with mainstream students all the time. I can think of at least 3 cases in my state recently where a disabled student was coerced into sexual behavior at school or on the bus by another student. The problem, obviously, is not with the school, but with the fact that an individual student had problems that aren't being addressed. Likewise, if you look at it proportionately, far more hearing teachers at public schools are arrested, loose their license, or are accused of sexual contact with students.

And that could have just as easily happened to a hearing student going home on a bus. That has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it was 2 students from a deaf school. It happens with mainstream students all the time. I can think of at least 3 cases in my state recently where a disabled student was coerced into sexual behavior at school or on the bus by another student. The problem, obviously, is not with the school, but with the fact that an individual student had problems that aren't being addressed. Likewise, if you look at it proportionately, far more hearing teachers at public schools are arrested, loose their license, or are accused of sexual contact with students.
Did not say it couldn't happen mainstream. But it is counterproductive to make a case by saying it does not happen when it does.

I also prefer truth!

Of course, don't we all? The existence of residential schools and all that they mean/represent is greater than reasons to shut them down, especially if the majority (as in the case of my school) of students are mainstreamed (day students) and the personnel hired therein have higher qualifications than that of many, if not most residential schools. And I think there's greater national awareness to improve on that situation and this of, course, means more money for higher qualified personnel. Its an uphill political/philosophical battle to attain this.

Last edited:
Did not say it couldn't happen mainstream. But it is counterproductive to make a case by saying it does not happen when it does.

I don't think I suggested that it didn't happen. I was simply pointing out that it is not exclusive to deaf schools. If we are going to close down deaf schools based on these reports, then why aren't we suggesting that the public schools with the same problems be closed down?

Of course, don't we all? The existence of residential schools and all that they mean/represent is greater than reasons to shut them down, especially if the majority (as in the case of my school) of students are mainstreamed and the personnel hired therein have higher qualifications than that of many, if not most residential schools. And I think there's greater national awareness to improve on that situation and this of, course, means more money for higher qualified personnel. Its an uphill political/philosophical battle to attain this.

:gpost:

Correction. One deaf school. And none of the most recent cases involved skin in skin sexual contact, but were related to text messages of an explicit nature. While this certainly cannot be condoned in any circumstance, it does not qualify as evidence that most deaf students are sexually abused. There was a case of another young lady at a different school who was recently charged with the same crime, and yet, everyone wanted to "wait and see" if she was found guilty before they said anything about her behavior. But different standards are now being applied to the same thing in a different school.:cool2:
If one reads this whole article, espcially as it is related to the individual pictured, one will realize that this student is now 27 years old (hardly recent) and is also diagnosed with another disability.

Not to harp on it, but yes you did. In the bold. And the rape of the 6 year old on the bus is one of the most recent cases.

Not to harp on it, but yes you did. In the bold. And the rape of the 6 year old on the bus is one of the most recent cases.

If that is the way you wish to interpret it, then fine. But I in no way indicated that sexual abuse was not occurring in the deaf school reported. I simply qualified the type of sexual abuse that the teachers had been accused of. In those cases, there had been no skin on skin sexual contact, but was restricted to innappropriate and explicit text messaging.

From the article linked, and to which I refer:

In a recent interview, state Superintendent of Education Paul Pastorek stressed that the five arrests of school employees were for alleged crimes that did not involve actual “skin-on-skin” sexual contact with students. Investigators have said that there was no skin-on-skin contact in the other two arrests either.

Sexual abuse has taken place at schools/programs for the deaf for many years. To date, these schools are known to have had sexual abuse incidents:

• Amherst School for the Deaf/Halifax
  • Deaf, in Canada
  • Arkansas School for the Deaf
  • Jericho Hill School for the Deaf in Maine
  • Eastern North Carolina School for the Deaf/Central (North Carolina School for the Deaf- closed)
  • Margarget Sterck School for the Deaf, Delaware
  • South Africa- Limpopo school for the Deaf
  • Washington School for the Deaf- This school has been the subject of an entire newspaper series by the Seattle Post Intelligencer.
  • Oregon School for the Deaf
  • St. Rita School for the Deaf in Ohio (alleged)

Sexual abuse has taken place at public schools for years, at military schools for years, in church groups, in Boy Scout troops, Girl Scout troops, and even by physicians. Should we close all doctors offices, all public schools, all Scouting orgranizations, and all churches down as a result, or should be be addressing the reason that the sexual abuse is occurring across domains?

Aid workers were recently found to be sexually abusing young children in Africa (since one of the schools you mentioned was in Africa). Should we do away with the Peace Corps, too?

Of course, don't we all? The existence of residential schools and all that they mean/represent is greater than reasons to shut them down, especially if the majority (as in the case of my school) of students are mainstreamed and the personnel hired therein have higher qualifications than that of many, if not most residential schools. And I think there's greater national awareness to improve on that situation and this of, course, means more money for higher qualified personnel. Its an uphill political/philosophical battle to attain this.

That's why I voted "not sure". Also I thought majority means 50% of people? :shrug:

Sexual abuse has taken place at public schools for years, at military schools for years, in church groups, in Boy Scout troops, Girl Scout troops, and even by physicians. Should we close all doctors offices, all public schools, all Scouting orgranizations, and all churches down as a result, or should be be addressing the reason that the sexual abuse is occurring across domains?

I don’t know where you get the impression that I said it only happened at deaf residential schools?

I did not say anything about closing Deaf schools nor did I voted yes either.

I don’t know where you get the impression that I said it only happened at deaf residential schools?

I did not say anything about closing Deaf schools nor did I voted yes either.

It wasn't directed at you only. It seems that sexual abuse gets brought up in every agrument against deaf schools, and I am just showing that not sending your child to a deaf school in no way protects them from the risk of being sexually abused, nor are they more likely to be sexually abused at a deaf residential school than anywhere else.

I realize that you voted "don't know", but you also opened the door for the discussion of sexual abuse as related to deaf schools.

Majority means more than 50%. Not significantly more. 51% is a majority..
:nono:

It is a small majority, and not enough of a majority to be considered significant. Not when we are talking about the experiences of people. And keep in mind, that is a majority only of those reporting, and not the entire population.

And we have to see if the bus services and the hiring of bus staff were the responsibility of the public schools or the deaf schools before we assign blame. Usually the staff who work on the buses are paid very low and usually underqualified which is VERY unfortunate for the kids riding on the buses. I was watching utube videos and saw so many videos of bus drivers abusing hearing students or even not paying attention to what the hearing kids do to each other on the buses. It was an eye-opener!

I agree with you.

Back