Votes: 7 11.3%
  • No

Votes: 48 77.4%
  • Not sure

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I dont care

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
in other words, SD staff really does care and value regardless of Deafness - they do not see me as different.

SD's biculturalism is fantastic - I am exposed to Deaf culture, which makes me so proud to know we as Deaf people have our own norms, but also hearing, where I, when speaking, address some hearing teachers by Ms/Mr.

SD's diversity and bilingualism is so very rewarding -- how very much a TRAIN-GO-SORRY it would have been for me to ignore this.

I hear you . . . uh . . . I see ya . . . umm . . . I got it. :lol:

Pro-mainstreamers tend to be SO fucking naive about the downsides of mainstream education. I wish so badly THEY could experiance what I went through. They hold up the honor roll kids as an example of sucess......but they don't understand that it's SO fucking hard to get good accomondations in the mainstream, especially as most teachers aren't even really trained to teach kids with more classic disabilites (most of their training deals with LD)

i vote for deaf schools to stay open! i live in deaf school from when i was 3-19. i lived there year round. my parents gave me to the state and thats where the state put me! i was so happy there! i wanted to stay longer but state wont pay longer because i 18 and graduate high school. deaf school is very good but i never got used to be around people who were not deaf. i take greyhound bus from california to indiana to move there beause its cheaper. that my first interaction with hearies that dont know asl. it very very scary. and i had to get a job on my own very scary too. but i like my expeirence at deaf school. i wish i could go back to deaf school and live there again!

i vote deaf schools to stay open.. myself from a deaf family. dads side.. i experienced
4 years in main streamed school and 9 years at Ky school for the deaf.. i prefer deaf school bec ya get to social, sports events, etc .. coached by deaf people or people who's hearing but knows asl.. now our kids are deaf too..better for them go deaf school.. bith of them are doing excellent in deaf school and older son who's autistic and he learning something new every day which make us all proud of him.. also on deaf role models.. we need them for leadership, advices.. and we all learn alot from them i had 3 deaf role models which i still respect and contact ...

Pro-mainstreamers tend to be SO fucking naive about the downsides of mainstream education. I wish so badly THEY could experiance what I went through. They hold up the honor roll kids as an example of sucess......but they don't understand that it's SO fucking hard to get good accomondations in the mainstream, especially as most teachers aren't even really trained to teach kids with more classic disabilites (most of their training deals with LD)

Yea, I hate it when people use me as an example. They shouldnt cuz I was in a turmoil emotionally all the time. Yea, they dont really get it fully.

i may write LONG on this one but i realized it myself that it is not worth for me to put this argue.

i may be very frankly but doesnt want to make this chaos with simple opinions. UNLESS, you want me to write it down, let me know [must more than 4 requests for me to write]-

i may write LONG on this one but i realized it myself that it is not worth for me to put this argue.

i may be very frankly but doesnt want to make this chaos with simple opinions. UNLESS, you want me to write it down, let me know [must more than 4 requests for me to write]-
Well, NorCal - I, for one would like to see what you have to say about this. :) If not, I understand. :)

A brief history about me... I attended a mainstreamed school with Deaf program at the mainstreamed school itself. The Deaf program was great. I am not saying it is impossible for the Deaf students to hang out with hearing students, but much more challenging and tough. I was very active with a couple of clubs and made several friends from those clubs. But I wish I was not always the only one Deaf kid who's interested in everything. I wish there were other Deaf students who were very interested in stuff. So it was a little lonely.

On the other hand, I kind of wished I had gone to a Deaf institute for social purposes. But I really think the education at Deaf institutes should be tremendously improved and there should be much much more awareness on this type of school.

Parents are starting to listen more about CIs and put their kids in mainstreamed schools where they're like alone at the most times, thus leading to the closures of many Deaf institutes throughout the US.

So NO I DON'T THINK DEAF SCHOOLS SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN! I THINK THEY SHOULD BE IMPROVED!!!!!!

And actually I do support deaf magnet programs. I just strongly disapprove of regular classes regular school minimal accomondations for ALL dhh kids.

On the other hand, I kind of wished I had gone to a Deaf institute for social purposes. But I really think the education at Deaf institutes should be tremendously improved and there should be much much more awareness on this type of school.

That is the part where I would agree with you at the most. Sure, There are no perfection to any schools out there, much less the Deaf Schools either. Every schools have their own flaws but you're right, The deaf schools needs to have their educational system to be improved.

This is in no way to blame the Deaf Schools for what they have done. With a lot of emphasis to bring the awareness could also overturn things but then, the problem is, a lot of administrations are obliged to do otherwise. That is why or the reason at the most for many teachers at the deaf schools whom are having a hard time to sought out for better answers to teach the deaf children.

Back