Searching for Answers at Gallaudet

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
Jobs, News and Views for All of Higher Education - Inside Higher Ed :: Searching for Answers at Gallaudet

As the fractious situation at Gallaudet University appears headed for some kind of resolution on Sunday, with a special meeting planned by the university’s Board of Trustees, supporters and critics of Jane K. Fernandes remain deeply divided over the core of the dispute about her possible ascension to the presidency.

Fernandes has continuously said that Gallaudet should be open for all deaf people and has implied, and sometimes stated, that she has not been accepted because she learned American Sign Language late in life. In an essay she wrote for The Washington Post titled “Many Ways of Being Deaf,” she argued that during the selection process for the president, “the issues of audism and racism that have plagued the deaf community for centuries came to the forefront.” Audism is discrimination based on hearing ability.

In a later interview, she said , “I am not a native signer.... The protesters want to make this about me.” And in an online discussion, she wrote that the turmoil is caused by the external pressures on the deaf community, including cochlear implants, more powerful hearing aids and genetic research. “My African American friends seem to understand the pressures the deaf community is feeling,” she wrote.

However, during dozens of on-campus interviews with students, faculty and alumni, that issue has rarely been raised by her opponents. Instead, most give a litany of reasons why Fernandes is unfit, often focusing on her perceived lack of leadership skills and an unengaging personality.

“I was pretty neutral about the whole thing when I first came in,” said a first year graduate student, Jennifer Myers. She said she knew that Fernandes was not liked, but that she had never interacted with her until she attended an orientation meeting for graduate students over the summer. “She was just not a nice person. I know this sounds stupid, but she doesn’t have personal skills, and you need that to lead people.” Myers added that she noticed that Fernandes does not smile when meeting people.

John Slone, a senior majoring in government, said, “It’s not about deaf issues,” adding that “if that’s the issue, then why are there so many hearing people here?”

“She doesn’t connect with people,” said Mark Weinberg, chair of the Faculty Senate and professor of linguistics. “She doesn’t look you in the eye.” Weinberg said that he does not understand how someone who lacks charisma can be an effective fund raiser and public face for the university. He added that the only people making a big fuss about “deaf politics” have been members of the administration.

The biggest problem, he said, is that Fernandes has not respected the faculty and the need for shared governance during her six years as provost. He cited numerous instances in which Fernandes allegedly disregarded normal channels for faculty consultation, such as the choice of a new librarian and even the procedure by which faculty were recently given raises. “There’s a litany of things,” he said.

Weinberg said the accumulation of incidents have left faculty with the impression that Fernandes does not value their input or feel the need to work with them. “It’s a finely tuned clock,” he said of the relationship between faculty and a university administration. “And now it is broken.”

A Gallaudet spokeswoman, Mercy Coogan, confirmed that the board will meet on Sunday. “I think a lot of people are hoping they will bring some silver bullet,” she said. Any solution will be fraught with difficulties, however, because faculty have voted overwhemingly for Fernandes to resign, but she has already signed a contract to take over the university in January.

It appear to me Ms Fernandez wants to address divsisions in our repective deaf/Deaf worlds, I think this is long overdue personally, and I'm not surprised the die-hards are trying to pervent this happening. There are the ASL activists and rights mongers AND people making a good living out of the deaf divide, so vested and financial interests are at stake here. For integration and acceptance to work, both d/D HAVE to unite and work together.

You cannot help thinkingthe ASL/BSL user doesn't want to be inclusive at all, they resist anything that looks like cooperation in pusuit of culural status, some are paranoid, some abuse ther ights message to legalize what is discrimination in any other area. HI/HoH 'deaf', whatever, are all in the same communiction boat, some sectors are paddling against the rest, we are going around in endless divisive circles. The battle for ASL supermacy in the deaf worlds, is what it is all about, Fernadez is just the visible target, but she reflects a lot of concern many of us feel.

The rest is using any means possible to stop unity happening. Deaf power.
Forget the 'Attacks on signing culture/oralist take overs etc' and the rest of it, If Ms Fernandez wants to take this 'Deaf' bull by the horns, I hope the vast majority of those with hearing loss support that, it will be no easy task taking on the ASL extremist, it has to be done, no pain, no gain, there is a continuing drift to secularism by communications used, in all our interests we cannot allow the separations to continue, or we are all lost.

Let Gallaudet show,that regardless if hearing, deaf, Deaf or use sign or not, whatever, we are accepting and inclusive, how on earth can deaf people be seen as fair unless they do ? I fear the battle seems won by the extremist.......

Jesse Jackson doesn't speak ebonics... and he is our Black leader...

ASL is the blame of most deaf people's grammar problem.

Wow protesters dislike her because she doesn't ASL, that is dumb.

Someone, who thinks the FSSA, who are protesting against Jane, BECAUSE she is not asl enough, or DEAF enough. Someone, including NEWS <- needs to go some special education school.

Please to do some research before saying out in the public.

Jesse Jackson doesn't speak ebonics... and he is our Black leader...

ASL is the blame of most deaf people's grammar problem.

Wow protesters dislike her because she doesn't ASL, that is dumb.

You need to research the facts as why the protest went on, first.

You kept crying out repeatedly as if they protest against JFK because she is not deaf enough... that's crap. Not true. That is what JFK wants you and few others to believe her.

It's HER LACK OF LEADERSHIP, the primary reason the protest went on, period.

You misunderstood and it's overdue for you to cut your fraud accusations here in the forum. And do your duty to research and learn more before you speak anything here for the sake.

Ask yourself again as why we chose Jordan as the prez back in 1988, he in fact was deaf yet can speak but couldn't speak ASL much like Jane does. Therefore it's no such difference here. Her leadership and past records sucks big-time as it shows more and more lately. There is so plenty more something about her eventually than you assumed.

It speaks a big volume how many are against her, not only students but staffs, teachers, alumnis, and many more. So you think we all are out of mind protesting against her because of her being not deaf enough... oh, please... please.

Ofc, it's entirely up to you what you want to believe, we don't care, really. But make sure you gather facts, first!

You kept crying out repeatedly as if they protest against JFK because she is not deaf enough... that's crap. Not true. That is what JFK wants you and few others to believe her.

You misunderstood and it's overdue for you to cut your fraud accusations here in the forum. And do your duty to research and learn more before you speak anything here for the sake.

Ask yourself again as why we chose Jordan as the prez back in 1988, he in fact was deaf yet can speak but couldn't speak ASL much like Jane does. Therefore it's no such difference here. Her leadership and past records sucks big-time as it shows more and more lately. There is so plenty more something about her eventually than you assumed.

It speaks a big volume how many are against her, not only students but staffs, teachers, alumnis, and many more. So you think we all are out of mind protesting against her because of her being not deaf enough... oh, please... please.

Ofc, it's entirely up to you what you want to believe, we don't care, really. But make sure you gather facts, first!

You NEED to care, that's the problem. Ignoring worries and concerns about the not deaf enough stance IS a major b*ll breaker everywhere, we've no real idea, who said what, it accelerated too fast and the deaf blogs of Ridor and others clouded everything in hours so there is no real way to know now. I've virtually ceased to read deaf blogs anymore..... It's taken on the pride stance now, so no-one wants to back off or compromise, you need a third party there to say enough is enough. I'd like that third party to be moderate deaf. Oh yes he did, on no she didn't is childish reporting at it's best. I think most do not care any more they want the issue settled and over. How much ground has been lost already by students, pride comes before a fall, and if the ASL extreme does fall, it will have a hell of a job getting back up again. If it wins, then moderates can retire early too. Most of us are in despair at the total lack of will, to settle this properly, or even discuss it properly.

Okay... I'll post the fact here... The President of RIT said he
thinks she is a good leader...

Why would the President of RIT say that?

She went to RIT and was working on something and he observed her...
and think she is a hard working leader and she doesn't lack leadership.

Last edited:
Why DO deaf people need figureheads ? Perhaps it's an American thing.... I don't see one deaf or HI person any more important than any other one (Radical I know !). Is it because these 'icons' fight for our access ? we don't ? Let whoever run the Uni, deaf people can make their own way. MY access and status as a deaf person is absolutely not going to be in any way affected by what happens in an American Uni, even if you decide to elect Donald Duck, and we have no 'Gallaudet' anyway. What does affect us is deaf extremism, they're getting too fond of self publicity and ego-building. What affects the world is the attempt, to develop Signing-only areas, areas via background and lifestyles,checks on who 'fits the bill', deaf 'towns', mainstream has a perception all deaf people are the same,this is a bad and false image too. The row is about hierarchies in a HI/Deaf/deaf world, to me the concept is abhorrent.

This site had a long debate about the 'full box' i.e. using and accepting whatever deaf need to manage lives and communications, and WITHOUT differentiating between levels of loss, or differences in lifestyles, a week later we read Gallaudet, so back to the drawing board, and back 10 years. Have we learnt nothing really ?

Passivist, I am in a hurry so this will be short. I admire your passion even though it is misdirected and off-target. Please read the Letter by Robert E. Johnson over at www.deafread.com. I should warn you it is long (17 pages) but I promise you, it gives a complete perspective on that whole sorry issue on the Gallaudet campus.

Why DO deaf people need figureheads ? Perhaps it's an American thing.... I don't see one deaf or HI person any more important than any other one (Radical I know !). Is it because these 'icons' fight for our access ? we don't ? Let whoever run the Uni, deaf people can make their own way. MY access and status as a deaf person is absolutely not going to be in any way affected by what happens in an American Uni, even if you decide to elect Donald Duck, and we have no 'Gallaudet' anyway. What does affect us is deaf extremism, they're getting too fond of self publicity and ego-building. What affects the world is the attempt, to develop Signing-only areas, areas via background and lifestyles,checks on who 'fits the bill', deaf 'towns', mainstream has a perception all deaf people are the same,this is a bad and false image too. The row is about hierarchies in a HI/Deaf/deaf world, to me the concept is abhorrent.

This site had a long debate about the 'full box' i.e. using and accepting whatever deaf need to manage lives and communications, and WITHOUT differentiating between levels of loss, or differences in lifestyles, a week later we read Gallaudet, so back to the drawing board, and back 10 years. Have we learnt nothing really ?

You still don't get it. it has nothing to do with her level of loss. She is a lousy leader, period. Get it now? The evidence of her poor leadership is available online. Just want to ignore it? Fine, but your rant is misplaced. The problems of "not deaf enough", extremism, etc... do exist, but these are not why everyone is protesting. You've been brainwashed by the media, Gally's PR department, and your own anger at whoever or whatever.

To be blunt, Jane already has been a Leader.

She is NOT Perfect, but she has already been a Leader. Period.

They said "Lack of leadership" is full of crap, too.
Just an excuse.

If there was a true lack of leadership, then Gallaudet
would probably already been closed and shut down
long time ago !!! Galladuet is still operating now
which shows the real truth about the
leadership still existing nowadays regardless
of the disruptive protest.

NOTE: I do agree with some of her thoughts
and disagree with some of her thoughts.
I have NO Interest in "Cochlear Implants" (CI)
but that's NOT the issue here. I am Deaf myself
I will NEVER want that CI anyway. The whole
issue I am trying to focus on the "Leadership".

Possibly the concept of a 'leader' of a community via a University head, is alien to most of us outside America, after all there is only one deaf Uni, there's no yardstick for us to use. The UK has barely 30 schools left for the deaf, all our battles are in the mainstream. I thought King Jordan WAS an elected leader ? the first, perhaps you should have been up front and told him, take one step we don't like, you're out..... He soon found out after making way for the new prez, he must spend most of his waking hours removing the knives from his back, the post, appears a poison chalice.... I don't see how you can run any establishment where mobs rule. leaders lead NOT follow.

Sack the protesters, if the rest follow, close Gallaudet, you can't run an educational establishment via students. A suggestion, if they want a total ASL university pay for their own. I gather South Dakota, has a bit of free space and deaf are more than welcome there...... Why are people who don't agree with this protest 'misguided', or 'haven't read the facts', we have, we have not interpreted them the way you have.

To be blunt, Jane already has been a Leader.

She is NOT Perfect, but she has already been a Leader. Period.

They said "Lack of leadership" is full of crap, too.
Just an excuse.

If there was a true lack of leadership, then Gallaudet
would probably already been closed and shut down
long time ago !!! Galladuet is still operating now
which shows the real truth about the
leadership still existing nowadays regardless
of the disruptive protest.

I'm trying to understand how the fact that Gallaudet is still operating somehow proves she is a good leader.? There are many organizations with poor leaders still operating. Gallaudet gets Federal funds, which make it possible for it to keep operating in spite of poor leadership. Further, JKF only lead the academic portion and not the whole university. I. King Jordan was the leader for 18 years. He has been mostly good as a leader, but has made some bad decisions, such as hiring JKF as Provost. Which brings us back to her leadership. It has already been posted previously about Gallaudet's worsening graduation rates under her leadership. The Faculty, who worked for her, just gave a major 82% vote of no confidence. A similar majority (around 80%) at the Clerc Center (where she used to lead) also voted no confidence. I could go on and on all night, but there is no getting around these votes. They are solid evidence of her lack of leadership.

and... Just because she WAS a leader once upon a time, it doesn't make her the right person to lead Gallaudet University by default.

I thought King Jordan WAS an elected leader ? the first, perhaps you should have been up front and told him, take one step we don't like, you're out.....

He was elected by the Board of Trustees. There are no term limits on the position. He stays until he retires, resigns, dies, or is removed. In his case, he was chosen due to the DPN protests. He wasn't exactly what they wanted, but they gave him a chance. He was generally a good choice, however, he has made some bad decisions over the years that are a partial cause of the current protests. He has finally made the steps that brought this protest to life. The Faculty, Staff, Students, and Alumni have no other way to participate in keeping him in line than to protest. There is no shared governance.

He soon found out after making way for the new prez, he must spend most of his waking hours removing the knives from his back, the post, appears a poison chalice.... I don't see how you can run any establishment where mobs rule. leaders lead NOT follow.

Leaders can't lead if no one will follow. If he had led effectively there would be no mob. Where's JKF now? I don't see her trying to lead now. She has had 5 months to make her case and she hasn't done so. No one is going to follow that kind of leader.

Sack the protesters, if the rest follow, close Gallaudet, you can't run an educational establishment via students.

Students are not trying to run the university, in case vyou didn't know. They are simply demanding the Board to do a better job in finding a replacement for Jordan.

A suggestion, if they want a total ASL university pay for their own. I gather South Dakota, has a bit of free space and deaf are more than welcome there......

ROTFLMBO, now that's funny. Back to seriousness, please note that "total ASL university" is not one of the demands. It's funny though thata university for the deaf doesn't expect a certain level of competency in the language of the deaf. Why not let JKF establish her ownb kind of university in South Dakota, rather than try to ruin the university for the deaf, that has been for the deaf for the past 142 years?

Why are people who don't agree with this protest 'misguided', or 'haven't read the facts', we have, we have not interpreted them the way you have.

Just in this post, you have not exhibited knowledge of the facts. If you had exhibited knowledge of the facts your interpretation of them would hold more weight.

He was elected by the Board of Trustees. There are no term limits on the position. He stays until he retires, resigns, dies, or is removed. In his case, he was chosen due to the DPN protests. He wasn't exactly what they wanted, but they gave him a chance. He was generally a good choice, however, he has made some bad decisions over the years that are a partial cause of the current protests. He has finally made the steps that brought this protest to life. The Faculty, Staff, Students, and Alumni have no other way to participate in keeping him in line than to protest. There is no shared governance.

Leaders can't lead if no one will follow. If he had led effectively there would be no mob. Where's JKF now? I don't see her trying to lead now. She has had 5 months to make her case and she hasn't done so. No one is going to follow that kind of leader.

Students are not trying to run the university, in case vyou didn't know. They are simply demanding the Board to do a better job in finding a replacement for Jordan.

ROTFLMBO, now that's funny. Back to seriousness, please note that "total ASL university" is not one of the demands. It's funny though thata university for the deaf doesn't expect a certain level of competency in the language of the deaf. Why not let JKF establish her ownb kind of university in South Dakota, rather than try to ruin the university for the deaf, that has been for the deaf for the past 142 years?

Just in this post, you have not exhibited knowledge of the facts. If you had exhibited knowledge of the facts your interpretation of them would hold more weight.

Unfortunately it's the 'facts' as YOU see them, not as I do. I thank the stars there is no Gallaudet here in the UK and we at least are moving towards closer integration of the deaf and mainstream, we're an Island, but not an island mentality, America has coined a new idea, the continental Island ! We find America quite insular these days....despite the democacy claims.

Unfortunately it's the 'facts' as YOU see them, not as I do. I thank the stars there is no Gallaudet here in the UK and we at least are moving towards closer integration of the deaf and mainstream, we're an Island, but not an island mentality, America has coined a new idea, the continental Island ! We find America quite insular these days....despite the democacy claims.

Well, there is a tent city in London, England supporting the Gally protest. Therefore there is at least some Gallaudet blood on your tiny island.

USA :cheers: England

Well, there is a tent city in London, England supporting the Gally protest. Therefore there is at least some Gallaudet blood on your tiny island.

USA :cheers: England

20 people who packed up after 5 hours..... erm... fact sorry ! I SUGGEST IN THE INTERESTS OF ENTENTE' CORDIAL WE AGREE TO DIFFER. :cheers:

Back