Schools Fight Families Over Autism Service Dogs

Oh, so you knew that service dogs lowered the cortisol levels in children with autism? That's great! However, not everyone has acquired the same wealth of knowledge as you, so articles like the above are relevant and interesting to those who wish to learn more. :wave:

Anything that reduces stress reduces cortisol levels...in autistic children and adults and non-autisitic adult and children. Stress reduction, and consequently, cortisol reduction is more the function of a companion animal than a true service dog.

Doesn't have anything to do with comparing the presence of an interpreter and the presence of a dog in the classroom.:dunno2:

Two separate issues. There was no reason whatsoever to bring up interpreters at all. You just goofed in an attempt to somehow related deafness to this topic. It's okay. Just suck it up and go on.

Anything that reduces stress reduces cortisol levels...in autistic children and adults and non-autisitic adult and children. Stress reduction, and consequently, cortisol reduction is more the function of a companion animal than a true service dog.

Doesn't have anything to do with comparing the presence of an interpreter and the presence of a dog in the classroom.:dunno2:

Two separate issues. There was no reason whatsoever to bring up interpreters at all. You just goofed in an attempt to somehow related deafness to this topic. It's okay. Just suck it up and go on.

I have been making a concerted effort not to respond to all of your posts that are in response to mine. However, you persist which has a "tricke down effect" on others who may actually buy into some of the inaccuracies you perpetrate on the things that I write.

With that said, I need to adress this as you keep bringing it up.

I have not said that I believe interpreters are a distraction. I was responding to another poster who stated that a service dog would be a distraction. My statement was simple and clear. If you choose to intentionally misinterpret what I say then more power to you. I just ask that you please not confuse other posters as to my true intent. :ty:

I have been making a concerted effort not to respond to all of your posts that are in response to mine. However, you persist which has a "tricke down effect" on others who may actually buy into some of the inaccuracies you perpetrate on the things that I write.

With that said, I need to adress this as you keep bringing it up.

I have not said that I believe interpreters are a distraction. I was responding to another poster who stated that a service dog would be a distraction. My statement was simple and clear. If you choose to intentionally misinterpret what I say then more power to you. I just ask that you please not confuse other posters as to my true intent. :ty:

I didn't say that you said interpreters were a distraction. I said you made a grave error in comparison when you said, "The same thing has been said about intepreters" in a thread about service dogs.

Oh,well. I guess you don't understand the way you come across in the way you say things or the timing of your comments.

Carry on.

My two dogs now accompany us to hospital, rehab facility , etc.

They are not certified, but they are welcomed at these facilities where we now spend time due to my father in law's cancer.

I think it's interesting that their beneficial effects are recognized in these health care settings.

My two dogs now accompany us to hospital, rehab facility , etc.

They are not certified, but they are welcomed at these facilities where we now spend time due to my father in law's cancer.

I think it's interesting that their beneficial effects are recognized in these health care settings.

Absolutely. I welcome dogs into my office, as well, and have written numerous letters to landlords and the the Housing Authority for clients stating that I have instructed them to keep an animal for therapuetic purposes.

I didn't say that you said interpreters were a distraction. I said you made a grave error in comparison when you said, "The same thing has been said about intepreters" in a thread about service dogs.

Oh,well. I guess you don't understand the way you come across in the way you say things or the timing of your comments.

Carry on.

I'm not comparing the type of service an interpreter or a service dog provides. Within the educational setting they both provide a service. I'm not sure why you continue being so obstinate about the subject, especially after you readily acknowledge the benefits a service dog can provide.

I'm not the only one that saw a problem with the remark, but hey, we are always wrong and you are always right. You know, you would probably have an easier time around here if you would use these things as an opportunity to learn about acceptable ways to address the deaf community, but you don't appear to be too interested in that. Your interest in only in getting us to adapt to you.

As I said, carry on. Done here. Same old same old.

Absolutely absurd that this school would make the same mistake twice with the same student.

Absolutely absurd that this school would make the same mistake twice with the same student.

Except that a school didn't make the same mistake twice with the same student! A store kicked the same customer out twice even after acknowledging being wrong after the first time.

Except that a school didn't make the same mistake twice with the same student! A store kicked the same customer out twice even after acknowledging being wrong after the first time.

Oops. Got side tracked by all the confusion about terps in schools being called a distraction!:laugh2:

I had a devil of a time while being a puppy raiser for Southeastern Guide dog....

As long as these are -trained- service dogs, either properly trained at home or by a school...

not companion animals the ADA said that 'Allergies and fear of animals are generally not valid reasons for denying access or refusing service to people with service animals.' (paraphrased, ADA Business Brief: Service Animals)

I had a devil of a time while being a puppy raiser for Southeastern Guide dog....

As long as these are -trained- service dogs, either properly trained at home or by a school...

not companion animals the ADA said that 'Allergies and fear of animals are generally not valid reasons for denying access or refusing service to people with service animals.' (paraphrased, ADA Business Brief: Service Animals)

Agreed. But there is a difference between a companion dog and a service dog. The ADA lawyers will stand behind my clients that have a recommendation from a licensed psychotherapist (in writing) for a companion dog (for landlords that deny pets, etc.) But not for them taking that same animal in a public business even though they provide the same therapuetic benefit both places. Why? Companion dog is most definately something that you have the right to keep at home on medical need, no matter landlord restrictions, but is not necessary to fully function in a place like a store.

Agreed. But there is a difference between a companion dog and a service dog. The ADA lawyers will stand behind my clients that have a recommendation from a licensed psychotherapist (in writing) for a companion dog (for landlords that deny pets, etc.) But not for them taking that same animal in a public business even though they provide the same therapuetic benefit both places. Why? Companion dog is most definately something that you have the right to keep at home on medical need, no matter landlord restrictions, but is not necessary to fully function in a place like a store.

The reason families are fighting for their childrens right to a service animal within the educational setting is so they can fully function and benefit from their education. One of the things the aforementioned article adressed is that not only do these service dogs assist with the autistic Childs communication abilities, but they are trained to give the children a gentle reminder when they start exhibiting some of their "autistic tendencies" such as flapping, repetitive movements etc. These dogs provide a non-invasive solution for these students, providing the segueway to finding their center.

The reason families are fighting for their childrens right to a service animal within the educational setting is so they can fully function and benefit from their education. One of the things the aforementioned article adressed is that not only do these service dogs assist with the autistic Childs communication abilities, but they are trained to give the children a gentle reminder when they start exhibiting some of their "autistic tendencies" such as flapping, repetitive movements etc. These dogs provide a non-invasive solution for these students, providing the segueway to finding their center.

A service animal is not necessary to fully function in a classroom. These are considered companion animals, not service animals. The animal does not speak for the child. There are people available to remind the child if they begin to engage in "autistic behaviors" as you call it. It is better to call them "self comforting behaviors", though.

Is there an invasive solution? I'd certainly like to know what that is.

Companion animals provide excellent therapeutic benefits, and I have recommended them for many clients. However, they do not perform the same function as a service dog does.

Ok. Well this thread is discussing service dogs for children with autism- not companion dogs.

To respond to the question about invasive solutions, here are two: medication and restraint.

When the North Star Foundation places a dog with a child with autism, our primary emphasis is on appropriate early socialization. This means the puppy is subjected to experiences that simulate the experience he/she will have with the child. Our strongest commitment is to finding the optimal fit between child and dog. We put considerable energy into teaching the child to interact with the dog in ways that enhance bonding. Because the quality of the relationship matters more than any other variable, it is essential that early interactions are supervised, more so than might be necessary for an adult with mobility problems.

often refer applicants to Canine Companions

Service Dog Placements for Children with Autism

These are companion dogs used to address behavioral and neurological issues found with autism. The goal is to teach bonding using an animal and then transfer those skills to interaction with other people.

Quite different that the goal and purpose of a service dog. As beneficial, in different circumstances and application, yes. The same, no.

Back