Schools Fight Families Over Autism Service Dogs

[/B]
People have said the same thing about Sign Language Interpreters...
Only when we have fleas and do excessive scratching and biting. I find the cone of shame around the neck resolves a lot of that problem.

Only when we have fleas and do excessive scratching and biting. I find the cone of shame around the neck resolves a lot of that problem.

Since when do terps get fleas? :P

Not a very apt comparison.

I'm not comparing, I'm making a statement of what I've observed. People have been known to make that statement. An interpreter provides a certain type of service, a service dog provides a service as well, just a different type of service.

I'm not comparing, I'm making a statement of what I've observed. People have been known to make that statement. An interpreter provides a certain type of service, a service dog provides a service as well, just a different type of service.

You probably should have just let it drop. The bolded didn't really help.

And I am severely allergic to interpreters. lol

Yeah, just toss me a bone once in a while, and I'm happy.

"
Assistance Dogs for Autism

Dogs have been proven to be an asset for children diagnosed with autism and their families. These dogs provide a social "bridge" for children who are often secluded by others because of their behavior or lack of social interaction. These well-trained dogs can also provide comfort as well as calm children who suffer from autism. Autistic children who run away and hide can also be quickly and easily found by assistance dogs that are trained to locate them. These are just a few of the advantages of having a trained service dog to assist an autistic child.

About Autism

Autism is a severe developmental disorder that affects the way a child sees and interacts with the rest of the world. It effects sensory, memory, motor and postural control. Social and communication skills may be compromised leading to social isolation both within the family and with other people. Many autistic children display a tendency to bolt in open spaces making going to a mall or a restaurant almost impossible. Many autistic children also experience difficulty sleeping and often suffer from insomnia.

Children with autism are often misunderstood because they process information in a different way. They deal with facts, not concepts which can be a problem for parents and teachers. Because information is processed in a very detailed oriented way the autistic person will sort through both major and minor stimuli, a car driving by, the smell of their clothing or the sound of a dog barking to make a decision. Too many details can cause them to become overstimulated and confused by everyday situations.

The causes of autism are uncertain, but most experts feel it is caused by a combination of genetic and environmental factors.

Benefits of Having an Autism Assistance Dog

There are countless benefits of owning an assistance dog for children and families affected by autism. These dogs are faithful companions that assist these children and families with activities of daily living as well as increasing the safety of the child and reducing the stress level of their family. Other advantages of having an Autism Assistance Dog are:

*• Increased social interaction - assistance dogs have proven to improve social skills and social interaction with children affected by autism. These dogs are naturally interesting which often draws the attention of the autistic child as well as others.

*• Redirecting repetitive behaviors - dogs can be taught to nudge a child that is performing repetitive behaviors, this touch is often all that is required to redirect the child from these behaviors.

*• Improved independence - assistance dogs can provide independence by allowing the child to walk with the dog as opposed to constantly holding the hand of a parent or adult. These highly skilled dogs can assist the child while under the direction of the adult.

*• Increased vocabulary - children with autism are often noticed to have an increase in vocabulary after being paired with an assistance dog. The children seem to be more comfortable in speaking with the dog which transfers to more verbal interaction with people.

*• Improved quality of sleep - assistance dogs provide a certain level of comfort that can often improve a childs ability to sleep more throughout the night.

*• Overall calming ability - when performing everyday tasks, children feel less pressure working with a dog as opposed to their peers. The tactile experience of having a dog as a companion has also proven to provide calming effects. Autistic children who work with dogs have been documented to feel less anger and experience less acts of aggression compared to the time before receiving an assistance dog.

*• Recovering children quickly - these assistance dogs are taught to track the child in the event that they bolt or become missing. These dogs are capable of locating the child in a variety of environments and terrain. This ability to locate the child quickly, greatly reduces the risk of serious harm."

Assistance Dogs for Autism, Service Dogs for Autism

"Specially trained service dogs may reduce stress in children with autism, according to a new study.
The results showed children with an autism spectrum disorder experienced a decrease in levels of the stress hormone cortisol after a service dog was introduced into the family. Autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) are a range of conditions in which kids have trouble communicating and interacting with others, and behave appropriately in social situations.

Previous research has shown these dogs can help autistic children in social situations and improve their daily routine. But the new study is the first to show the furry friends can have physiological benefits as well.
"Our findings showed that the dogs had a clear impact on the children's stress hormone levels," study researcher Sonia Lupien, a professor at the University of Montréal, said in a statement. "I have not seen such a dramatic effect before."
The dogs also improved the children's behavior, reducing the number of problems reported by parents.
The findings are published in the September issue of the journal Psychoneuroendocrinology.
Bringing in four-legged friends

Lupien and her colleagues measured the cortisol levels in the saliva of 42 children with an ASD. Normally, production of cortisol reaches peaks about 30 minutes after a person wakes up, a phenomenon known as the cortisol awakening response, and it decreases over the course of the day.
The children's cortisol awakening response was measured before, during and after the service dog was introduced. The dogs were specially trained to be obedient and remain calm even in chaotic environments.
In the two weeks before the dogs were brought in, the children's cortisol levels rose 58 percent during the first 30 minutes they were awake in the morning. But when the dogs were present, this awakening response was reduced to just a 10 percent rise. And when the dogs were taken away after four weeks, the cortisol awakening response jumped back up to a 48 percent increase.
Parents also reported a decrease in their child's problematic and disruptive behaviors, such as tantrums, when the dog was there. The average number of these behaviors dropped from 33, in the two weeks prior to the dog's presence, to 25 while the animal was part of the household.
Future work

The researchers noted that few studies have looked at cortisol levels in children, so the effect of the reduced cortisol on the child cannot yet be determined. However, studies in adults have linked increases in the hormone to increases in general stress, and decreases in the hormone to a positive mental state.
More research needs to be done on autistic children to figure out if these decreases in cortisol levels actually correspond to a change in a child's stress level, the researchers say. Earlier studies have found that autistic children are calmer and happier when a service dog is around, the researchers said.
Future studies should also examine why the dogs decrease cortisol levels. For instance, it could be that the dogs help children sleep better, which may have affected the cortisol levels, the researchers said.
"Introducing service dogs to children with ASD has received growing attention in recent decades," Lupien said. "Our results lend support to the potential behavioral benefits of service dogs for autistic children.""

Dogs Reduce Stress in Kids with Autism | Autism Spectrum Disorder & Children, Medical Research & Stress Hormone Cortisol | My Health News Daily

We know what service dogs are and what their purpose is.

We also know what interpreters are and what their purpose is.

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:

are you saying that a service dog is not an appropriate accomidation in school, or just for children with autism?

Wirelessly posted

are you saying that a service dog is not an appropriate accomidation in school, or just for children with autism?

Where exactly did I say anything that could be interpreted as that? You are once again, very confused.

Oh, so you knew that service dogs lowered the cortisol levels in children with autism? That's great! However, not everyone has acquired the same wealth of knowledge as you, so articles like the above are relevant and interesting to those who wish to learn more. :wave:

Back