RIT experiences anyone?

Reaction score
I am currently waiting for a fee waiver for RIT and already visited RIT over the summer. I will be transferring there for the Fall Semester (hoping to get accepted). I'd like to gain some insight of anyone's experiences attending to RIT and benefits (or pros and cons).

I heard of the dorms that is known for deaf students are usually going towards, but I'll be going with a dorm/apartment since I liked the experiences in my first year at community college. To those who did, which dorm/apartment did you live on campus? Which ones would and would not you recommend? Why or why not?

I've already took ASL for two semester and did exceedingly excellent. I used to know signs back when I was younger, but hadn't used it since I was 7 due to attending mainstream school most of the times and decided it is time I join the community. :) I am excited and I do find signing to be much easier to communicate and planning to continue to study more signs and be more involved.

What are your experiences are like there? Anyone did any work study? Any jobs that enough to get paid and enough to last a week until next pay?

What are your advice? One friend of mine says just be myself and be proud of yourself, especially being deaf. Don't let anyone tell you that you aren't deaf enough (another friend had a bad experience in Gallaudet, apparently).

Do NOT live in Tower A!!!! You will regret it. Tower B is good, Tower C is the 21 and over floor, if I recall. I transfered to the 21 and over floor to get away from the stupid fire alarms.

Those god damn fire alarms every freaking night because someone burnt their damn popcorn!! Argh!!

My experience with NTID was a disaster. The fact I grew up hearing and oral. But stuffed into FULL ASL world without a damn clue how to sign or understand people. Deaf people wouldn't accept me because I could speak and not sign. Hearing people disowned me because they think because I'm hard of hearing, I'm just like every other deaf person.

Taking ASL 101 as an 8am class so I could understand deaf teachers who did not speak and were full ASL. God those lessons gave me headaches when I had to go to my next deaf classes. hehe

Weren't there or aren't there any kind of programs at NTID like what Gallaudet has (or had....this was way back when I went)- A New Signers Program for about 3 weeks during the summer prior to the fall semester. Don't know or remember if there was anything similar prior to the spring semester as some entered then... that program really helped to ease the transition into using ASL and fully immersed learning.

Can't help with the RIT/NTID experience though.

don't worry. you'll have a great time there :)

Yeah, NTID is VERY open to new Signers.... I thought a LOT of oral kids went there ... As long as you're openminded and express a DESIRE to learn ASL, and don't have a chip on your shoulder about how a particular methodology gave you so much more advantages, you'll generally be accepted. I don't think it's methodology that you were raised with.... it's more about being open and accepting about Sign.... there are always going to be SOME people who will look down on you for not having been Signing your entire life or for not having gone to a Deaf School.......but overall people will be very welcoming....Remember it's not 1985 any more, and kids are no longer coming from Deaf schools in masses, the way they used to.

Weren't there or aren't there any kind of programs at NTID like what Gallaudet has (or had....this was way back when I went)- A New Signers Program for about 3 weeks during the summer prior to the fall semester. Don't know or remember if there was anything similar prior to the spring semester as some entered then... that program really helped to ease the transition into using ASL and fully immersed learning.

Can't help with the RIT/NTID experience though.

They have an early orientation, I think, a friend of mine is there currently and started in 2014, but she hasn't told me much about it since we last saw each other. I hope there is an option for me to go by.

Yeah, NTID is VERY open to new Signers.... I thought a LOT of oral kids went there ... As long as you're openminded and express a DESIRE to learn ASL, and don't have a chip on your shoulder about how a particular methodology gave you so much more advantages, you'll generally be accepted. I don't think it's methodology that you were raised with.... it's more about being open and accepting about Sign.... there are always going to be SOME people who will look down on you for not having been Signing your entire life or for not having gone to a Deaf School.......but overall people will be very welcoming....Remember it's not 1985 any more, and kids are no longer coming from Deaf schools in masses, the way they used to.

That's great! I'm extremely open minded and that's the purpose of attending there! I want to learn it, but also I need to learn ASL since I wish to teach ASL as foreign language.

I better hope it's welcoming! I liked the sense of belonging when visiting there once for the tour. I already loved the library there and gyms. <3

Of course, the biggest that got my attention that it's both side of the world for me and it'd be easier to pick either way of communicating. :)

Do NOT live in Tower A!!!! You will regret it. Tower B is good, Tower C is the 21 and over floor, if I recall. I transfered to the 21 and over floor to get away from the stupid fire alarms.

Those god damn fire alarms every freaking night because someone burnt their damn popcorn!! Argh!!

My experience with NTID was a disaster. The fact I grew up hearing and oral. But stuffed into FULL ASL world without a damn clue how to sign or understand people. Deaf people wouldn't accept me because I could speak and not sign. Hearing people disowned me because they think because I'm hard of hearing, I'm just like every other deaf person.

Taking ASL 101 as an 8am class so I could understand deaf teachers who did not speak and were full ASL. God those lessons gave me headaches when I had to go to my next deaf classes. hehe

What year did you attend there? It sounds like before 2000 or something. So far, I see plenty of deaf that speaks and the rest signs. There should have been interpreter provided for everyone - or someone that understands your struggle.

I was at RIT 1988-1992. Loved every bit of it. I lived in Tower A my first year, and when signing up for my 2nd year, A ended up being full so my roommate and I went to B. But I didn't mind A for the year I lived there. I think the most annoying thing was when people got off the elevators they pressed all the buttons so it stopped on every floor! Maybe some years are different as far as the maturity levels of students. I lived on the 4th floor in A so I often just took the stairs.

Fyi, tons of changes has been made at NTID, it made me happy that I was there earlier days. nowadays, its harder to pull pranks without getting caught. Too many eyes all over right now. Campus are getting fancier than before. Pros and cons really.
If u have not been at rit lately, be prepare and catch your jaw when you see there again.
ofc will go image RIT this spring, its only 9 miles from my home.

I was at RIT 1988-1992. Loved every bit of it. I lived in Tower A my first year, and when signing up for my 2nd year, A ended up being full so my roommate and I went to B. But I didn't mind A for the year I lived there. I think the most annoying thing was when people got off the elevators they pressed all the buttons so it stopped on every floor! Maybe some years are different as far as the maturity levels of students. I lived on the 4th floor in A so I often just took the stairs.

Forgive me, Tower A, is it in signing form for the actual name of the dorm? I wanted to make sure I understand which dorms/apartment you are referring to.

It sounds like a similar situation at the dorm I was at and that there are people who can't cook, which led to fire alarms. Of course, never hurt to be too careful.

Tower A, B and C were the actual names back then. I do not know if they've been renamed since. The are strictly dorm rooms with no cooking facilities inside the rooms. Each floor had a lounge with a microwave, but that was it.

Fyi, tons of changes has been made at NTID, it made me happy that I was there earlier days. nowadays, its harder to pull pranks without getting caught. Too many eyes all over right now. Campus are getting fancier than before. Pros and cons really.
If u have not been at rit lately, be prepare and catch your jaw when you see there again.
ofc will go image RIT this spring, its only 9 miles from my home.

I supposed, a lot can change with less than a year and I can't wait to see how much would be. I was there in July and fell in love already. :)

Tower A, B and C were the actual names back then. I do not know if they've been renamed since. The are strictly dorm rooms with no cooking facilities inside the rooms. Each floor had a lounge with a microwave, but that was it.

Ah, now I know which ones. I've been in a couple of dorms, not all of them. So, I have a general idea which one you are talking about. It's the one that is close by the cafe/cafeteria?

I was at Benson Hall at Gallaudet 1987-88. Fire alarms almost weekly. some weeks we had daily fire alarms. Some idiots want to achieve 91 fire alarms. Two were caught and AD.
Gallaudet has NSP and NSO

I was at Benson Hall at Gallaudet 1987-88. Fire alarms almost weekly. some weeks we had daily fire alarms. Some idiots want to achieve 91 fire alarms. Two were caught and AD.
Gallaudet has NSP and NSO

I know what it is like with the fire alarms, random times happened. I remember the worst day ever. Some idiot decided to play fire and somehow, it caused so much flood that there were six suites/dorm rooms to be damaged and I happened to be one of those victims. However, it wasn't severe as the ones that were closer. It was a lot of stress. I moved out a week earlier than expected. So, believed me, the fire alarms have never been the same for me since. I just got used to it and I looked at it this way, I'm safe and nothing to worry about.

I wanted to inform you all that I have been accepted! :) If anything, I thank you for believing I would be likely to get in! ^_^

This is completely different than I expect it. Anyone has any advice living at the dorm? Aside from fire alarm situation because that is impossible to avoid. I do have a book on the housing and telling me about each apartment, but I'm rather at loss since I'm not certain which ones to go to.

I have heard about nice buildings and some new things which are far better than my old time on the campus in 2001.

Most important of all is for you to study well and suggest you have a backup plan. You need to keep in balance between fun and study at school. Your career really have to come first so that you might find a better salary for your future. Ask yourself if you want to start your own business - that is what you have to figure it out in case if you get layoff someday. Many deaf people who graduated from NTID/RIT and even Gallaudet got layoff in a few years later. This is not new to us. That's the reality in the hearing world that does not want to deal with the deaf people.

All you have to do is to be yourself and enjoy there. Yes, it is fun for you to meet many deaf people there. You will be fine. Bringing your car with you that make many new friends to go out shoppings and some good places. One problem, brace your life to deal with the crazy snow storms in the winter seasons. It is so important that you have to learn and use the ASL. You will thank us someday.

Back