Really? CC Issues We Have to Deal With?

funkbekka

Reaction score
I feel like I am being discriminated again with barriers. I do miss old timer TV with closed caption enabled at all times with any inputs.

I have a HDTV that would not enable the closed captioning option when I play DVD on my DVD/Blu Ray player. Majority of DVD have subtitle programming built in. However, I have used some DVD that did not have subtitle programmed. This is when I wanted my HDTV to turn on closed caption. Unfortunately, my HDTV did not have that option.
Older TV (CRV?) would play closed caption at all times. What happened?

What's more, the subtitles of DVD and online streaming movies on my HDTV such as Netflix are yellow. its difficult to read the yellow subtitle. I prefer black and white closed captioned like the older system will do.
The new technology has been a barrier to having closed caption. What can we do about this, please?

I noticed Netflix's CC isn't always accurate.
What I'm watching right now, audio said "It's not a slide", caption said "Is that a plane?". That ruins the joke. Another spot, they screwed up "want" and "don't want". That's not cool. Not sure if that's a Netflix issue, or the video itself.

They should just let the viewer pick the color. I saw a tv ages ago that did that. I don't remember much about it. That was forever ago.

I feel like I am being discriminated again with barriers. I do miss old timer TV with closed caption enabled at all times with any inputs.

I have a HDTV that would not enable the closed captioning option when I play DVD on my DVD/Blu Ray player. Majority of DVD have subtitle programming built in. However, I have used some DVD that did not have subtitle programmed. This is when I wanted my HDTV to turn on closed caption. Unfortunately, my HDTV did not have that option.
Older TV (CRV?) would play closed caption at all times. What happened?

What's more, the subtitles of DVD and online streaming movies on my HDTV such as Netflix are yellow. its difficult to read the yellow subtitle. I prefer black and white closed captioned like the older system will do.
The new technology has been a barrier to having closed caption. What can we do about this, please?
Many people here asked the same old questions for several years. There are solutions in older threads, you should read the old posts before asking.

BTW, the main point is that all HDTVs' CC decoder works only when it's connected to a DVD/BD player via composite video (yellow RCA video cable) or s-video cable and/or when it's connected to indoor/outdoor antenna (which is called over the air or OTA) via RF cable.

In other words, HDMI can't carry "invisible" CC. That's one of the reasons why FCC requires electronic manufacturers to produce new DVD/BD players to include a CC decoder from 2014 on so we will be able to use HDMI connections for that purpose. Currently, almost all HD DVRs and cable boxes have a built-in CC decoder so we can use HDMI connections to watch the shows with CC (HDMI can send "overlay" CC from the source).

To clarify, you connected your DVD/BD player to HDTV via HDMI so that's why you are not able to see DVD's CC. You have to use a composite video or s-video cable in order to be able to see CC from the DVD with HDTV's CC decoder enabled (by law, all HDTVs including yours do have a built-in CC decoder). Your HDTV's manual should explain that its CC will not work when using HDMI connections. That's really old news!

As for Netflix, it chose yellow for its subtitles so there is nothing we can do about it. FCC can't do anything about it, either as long as it's subtitled. Same thing with DVD/BD movies, we can't change the color, style and size of the subtitles (SDH). That means it's fixed, not adjustable.

Last edited:
I noticed Netflix's CC isn't always accurate.
What I'm watching right now, audio said "It's not a slide", caption said "Is that a plane?". That ruins the joke. Another spot, they screwed up "want" and "don't want". That's not cool. Not sure if that's a Netflix issue, or the video itself.
That's sad so you have to complain to the company about this issue or cancel the membership. BTW, how did you know what it said like "It's not a slide"? Does that mean you can hear or someone told you what it actually said?

That's sad so you have to complain to the company about this issue or cancel the membership. BTW, how did you know what it said like "It's not a slide"? Does that mean you can hear or someone told you what it actually said?

I'm hearing. I just don't bother turning the CC off when people who need it aren't here.

I'm hearing. I just don't bother turning the CC off when people who need it aren't here.
Oh, ok. I think that the info you provided in your previous post is important for Netflix deaf members to know because they can't hear what it actually says. Seems that captionmakers for Netflix did a poor job. That's a shame! Good thing I am no longer a member.

The other night...my son found a good movie.."Ed Ginn" (serial killer)...on AutoBan...2007...movie said in CC...but we were not able to get them...called Comcast...they said "something must be wrong with the movie"...:hmm:...this has happened a lot....

Oh, ok. I think that the info you provided in your previous post is important for Netflix deaf members to know because they can't hear what it actually says. Seems that captionmakers for Netflix did a poor job. That's a shame! Good thing I am no longer a member.

It seems to be per show... some are accurate, some aren't. I'm not sure how CC is done. If the CC is embedded in the video, done by whomever the company who made the video hired, and then simply decoded by Netflix, it wouldn't be Netflix's fault.
Out of curiosity, I'm going to see if I can locate the same show on another service and see if the CC is the same or not.

Dumbest thing I saw, one of the documentaries on the deaf doesn't have CC (I don't remember which one). I saw it posted here, went and looked for myself, no option for CC. Strikes me as ridiculous.

It seems to be per show... some are accurate, some aren't. I'm not sure how CC is done. If the CC is embedded in the video, done by whomever the company who made the video hired, and then simply decoded by Netflix, it wouldn't be Netflix's fault.
Some are not accurate? It's still unsatisfactory because deaf members should get what they pay for. Know what I am saying? Deaf members pay for what they watch with accurate subtitles (not CC since it's not decoded thru CC decoder). It's not fucking right for them paying for the movies with inaccurate subtitles. Netflix must not be allowed to get away with it.

FYI, Netflix has it own captioning system. In other words, one captionmaker works for Netflix which buys movies without captions. I have posted Netflix's announcement regarding this somewhere in other threads. That's why its subtitles look so different from DVD/BD movies' subtitles. I already witnessed both Netflix and DVD/BD movies. Netflix's subtitles are usually shown in three lines in the center while DVD/BDs' subtitles are shown in two lines not centered.

you are not the only one. and that is not the only captioning issue either. there is so many different ways to do captioning and nothing is consistent in terms of protocol used, technology used, cost, what kind of a show or movies and equipments. Now with timewarner they enable caption through their box and the tv cc option has to be off .:roll:

Some are not accurate? It's still unsatisfactory because deaf members should get what they pay for. Know what I am saying? Deaf members pay for what they watch with accurate subtitles (not CC since it's not decoded thru CC decoder). It's not fucking right for them paying for the movies with inaccurate subtitles. Netflix must not be allowed to get away with it.

I agree whole heatedly!
:mad:

If I can hear all the movies on Netflix, you should have accurate subtitles on them all.

Now that I'm paying attention to it, seems to be common on Netflix to have bad subtitles.
3 shows in a row have wrecked subtitles.

Last edited:
you are not the only one. and that is not the only captioning issue either. there is so many different ways to do captioning and nothing is consistent in terms of protocol used, technology used, cost, what kind of a show or movies and equipments. Now with timewarner they enable caption through their box and the tv cc option has to be off .:roll:
TV CC option doesn't have to be disabled because when the cable box or DVR with a built-in CC decoder is connected to TV via HDMI, TV's CC will not work anyway even if it's enabled. Test it yourself.

The OP complained that DVD's CC doesn't appear because he used HDMI to connect his player to TV. That makes a difference. HDMI can't carry "invisible" CC, only composite video and s-video can. So far DVD/BD players don't have a built-in CC decoder but new ones will have it starting in 2014 under FCC's law.

TV CC option doesn't have to be disabled because when the cable box or DVR with a built-in CC decoder is connected to TV via HDMI, TV's CC will not work anyway even if it's enabled. Test it yourself.

The OP complained that DVD's CC doesn't appear because he used HDMI to connect his player to TV. That makes a difference. HDMI can't carry "invisible" CC, only composite video and s-video can. So far DVD/BD players don't have a built-in CC decoder but new ones will have it starting in 2014 under FCC's law.

Seriously.. Not even one manufacturer start making bluray with CC-decoder?

FCC requires them to make new players to include a built-in CC decoder starting in 2014 by law. I don't know if any manufacturer makes current players that have the decoder earlier before 2014. If you do know, let us know.

FYI, I just checked Sony, Samsung and Panasonic websites to see if their 2013 BD models have a built-in CC decoder. No, they don't have it. So wait for next year's models.

FYI, I just checked Sony, Samsung and Panasonic websites to see if their 2013 BD models have a built-in CC decoder. No, they don't have it. So wait for next year's models.

That sucks. Look like I have to keep my sony DVD player little longer lol. How you check if the new BD players have CC-decoder or not? Did you just look the tech spec sheet?

That sucks. Look like I have to keep my sony DVD player little longer lol. How you check if the new BD players have CC-decoder or not? Did you just look the tech spec sheet?
The websites have owner's manuals in PDF. BTW, I didn't check DVD players' manuals, only BD players' since more people buy BD players now.

Do you have a FCC website link stating that Blurays must have CC-decoder? I would like to read that article :)

Do you have a FCC website link stating that Blurays must have CC-decoder? I would like to read that article :)
There's an old thread about it.

http://www.alldeaf.com/captioning-s...-releases-television-ip-captioning-rules.html

Help yourself if you can. There are two important links in there. One from NAD and another one from COAT. You will notice that it mentions TV set-top boxes. That include DVD/BD players. What's more, it requires digital CC which means that we can change font style, color and size just like the ones we have in our HDTVs, HD cable receivers and HD DVRs.

Last edited:
FCC requires them to make new players to include a built-in CC decoder starting in 2014 by law. I don't know if any manufacturer makes current players that have the decoder earlier before 2014. If you do know, let us know.

I have a Panasonic DMP-BDT220 that I've been using a couple of months now and I'm subscribing to Netflix Streaming. I've only found one TV show that didn't work with CC through the HDMI cable and that was Hot In Cleveland.
Old episodes of Malcolm In The Middle and Arrested Development, which are list as having CC only, work through HDMI. Even old Jack Benny, Bob Hope and Red Skelton shows from the 50s.
This player does not have Component Outputs, so I connected the A/V jacks to my Samsung LN52A750 for CC even though I haven't had to use it.

Back