Phonak Naida

I just hate that audiologists are so busy and have such full schedules, that it's impossible to get in just for 5 minutes for a simple adjustment. I would just much rather make my own adjustments, at least the small simple ones anyway. I would leave the more bigger adjustments to the audie.

I just hate that audiologists are so busy and have such full schedules, that it's impossible to get in just for 5 minutes for a simple adjustment. I would just much rather make my own adjustments, at least the small simple ones anyway. I would leave the more bigger adjustments to the audie.

I am so lucky to have an amazing audie who will get me in super fast. Just this afternoon she emailed me to tell me that the replacment Naida for my left ear is in her office and I have an appointment to get it tomorrow. If she can't get me in day of it is always within two or three days. The only time I have to wait to weeks is if it is a sceduled appointment two weeks after an initial fitting or something. It's really too bad that there aren't more audies out there like her!

I hope you get your program problem resolved shortly and I am glad that by having the BassBoost turned off you resolved some issues!

I'll see him tomorrow at 5. It's just hard to call the office, because the receptionists all say "you'll need to make an appointment. Would this time be ok May 19?" or whatever... uh... NO that is not ok. Audie understands, but the receptionists are clueless. Even the audie's assistant said to make an appointment. All I want is just a quick switch of 2 programmings, then i'll be happy to go on and take notice of what I'm hearing, figure out what else needs to be adjusted, etc. it's a pretty handy little shoe though. yeah.

Good to know the FM works! Now, to make it FM only instead of FM+Mic.... *curses having the computer in the same room the laundry is done*

I love it too! more bass turned down today, and got the programmings switched like I wanted. :D

I love it too! more bass turned down today, and got the programmings switched like I wanted. :D

Nice are they working out better?

I got a new left aid today. The new one doesn't turn on and off...at least it hasn't started yet:fingersx:

I am having issues with speech in different situations. If there is ANY background noise at all get no helpful auditory speech cues, same goes for low or high pitched voices. High pitch I understand, low I don't...that is really the only place where I have hearing lol! I asked my audi about it today and she said she would look into it and ask her collegues. She is awesome, but as I spend more time with her and my hearing becomes more complex I am seeing her ask for help from others a lot more. Which is fine, just takes longer. She is young and still learning so I understand why she wants to consult...

I haven't been in a noisy place yet to try out the new adjustments. someday though.

He's a bit clueless as to what to do, which is understandable. He doesn't really work with such powerful hearing aids very frequently, as most of his clients are older, elderly, and they usually order the basic easy aids that doesn't require so much fiddling around with.

I would advise you to maybe get him to bring in a Phonak rep to help with your fitting. The only difference between your hearing aid and grandma Sally's, is power and yours being capable of frequency compression. The Naida is not doing anything earth shattering that other manufactures aren't doing (expect being transpositional, a very small percent can utilize it and AVR is the only other company I can think of that utilizes the technology).

However, the going from traditional amplification worn for a long period of time to a transpositional hearing aid can take a long period of adjustment. It's just a totally different way to hear. Some make the transition fine, some don't. Your right ear doesn't need frequency compression, your left ear probably could, but minimal.

I haven't gotten a hearing aid for the left, as hearing aids have always been useless for the left ear. A bone conduction aid, on the other hand, that's something I want to check into for the left ear, as I did get to try out a 20-year-old bone conduction aid once and whoa. But right now I'm focused on getting the Naida to work right.

It's sounding a bit better. Music definitely sounds better, but still sounds a bit different. But it's better now than it was with the bassboost.

I'll give the current adjustments a try, and I'll probably wait until I get the new mold fitted to have more adjustments made. We're just kind of playing around a bit, trying out different adjustments to see what works.

I can hear speech, but it's a matter of understanding speech that I'm still struggling with a bit. But, I can only take it one day at a time, and just keep on going.

I can hear speech, but it's a matter of understanding speech that I'm still struggling with a bit. But, I can only take it one day at a time, and just keep on going.

It's the exact same with me! I can hear it just fine but my speech discrim sucks! I will tell you that for the 3 weeks or so that I have had them speech is coming MUCH better. I can understand simple one word commands and my name (it sounds like I am dog LOL) It is coming slowly, but surely! When I first started I got no benefit from them with speech at all. Now in quiet one on one situations they actually help me with speech reading. It does get better, I promise.

As my audiologist says every few minutes to me "Research shows that it can take 3 months before you start seeing improvements with these aids"

3 months?! too long! No I'm kidding. It would take long enough with a cochlear implant, maybe even longer too. Just got to take it 1 day at a time and just work at it.

When I was at my mom's shop today, she popped in a CD-R into the computer so she could show me some pictures. I HEARD the computer reading the CD-R or whatever. I heard something going on in that machine, and I don't know if I ever heard it before. Mom thought that was weird, cause she couldn't hear anything haha.

HEARING AIDS..a whole new different world..too bad I didnt get the Narida!!

Hi..i was reading your blogs about the new Naida..I am too looking into it. My audiologist told me today..the first thing he said to me..."don't hate me..but there this superb hearing aids that are coming out"...and those will beat my old ones. (It's not exactly old..I just got them almost 2 years ago!!) Phonak digital ones..
GROAAANNNNN!!! I was almost two years too late! I tried to see if I can trade them..LOL.
Unfortuantely it doesn't work that way..but I wonder..if this is "broken"..and it should be still under warrenty???? i know im bad.
the new Naida sounds like something I would love to have. it s so unfair to have to PAY for them!!!!!!! so costly!!
Anyway, I love my hearing aids..the digital ones. my life changed the day I got them! Adios to the old ones I had for 12 years..what a piece of crap! I remember coming home..and I NEVER experiences so much sounds in one day..it was like newborn awaking. I heard our phone ring first time, the winds, certain things that I never noticed before. And lol I remember asking my daughter (who is 6 at the time)..what's that sound in our house..and she kept saying nothing. im like shhhh..didn't you hear that?? and she was puzzled..and I tried to follow the sound..and voila! it was the air duct! oy. She said "see mom, its nothing!" oh my what a noisy world she lives in!!! its amazing that sounds that I m hearing is picking up things and it doesn't affect hearing people at all. Today..I asked audiologist to amp up the sounds, now that Im getting used to hear the "loudness" for almost a year. and now IM curious..how much loudness can it goes? as Im typing this..I am noticing the keyboard clanking is quite noisy..never noticed that! wow..its a new adjustment still for me. My husband just came home..and I heard the garage door open!! first time from my office. Instead of being scared..I SCARED him cuz I ran to front door. lol
I just told him..don't need to shout at me..(but he wasn't) w o w..maybe this setting is too "loud"???
or not?? maybe I'll hear what my daughter say to me behind my back and catch her this time?? :hmm:

Last edited:
new hearing aids are always fun! I got Phonak's Supero 113AZ digital hearing aid 4 years ago, and now have the Naida. I'm still getting used to the Naida, though.

and OH NO! today it happened! hair fell out from behind my ear, and the hearing aid cut off! That's happened several times with the Supero until I started pulling my hair back on a daily basis. Was hoping I wouldn't have that problem with the Naida, but it's happened. Gr.

by the way, I am having way too much fun with my blog.... I'd have edited my last response but either I'm stupid or blind... haha. :)

]and OH NO! today it happened! hair fell out from behind my ear, and the hearing aid cut off! That's happened several times with the Supero until I started pulling my hair back on a daily basis. Was hoping I wouldn't have that problem with the Naida, but it's happened. Gr.

What happened? I don't understand...and it is possible that I have this problem too if I do understand correctly! Do you know why it happens?

I always blamed it on static electricity... it's happened several times with the Supero, until I started pulling my hair back everyday, then it's quit. But it's happened once with the Naida already.. It took months before the Supero started cutting off due to my hair falling out from behind my ear, and sometimes if I rub my head on the back of the recliner (I don't even mean to, it just happens), sometimes that would cause the Supero to cut off too. Hate when this happens. Once it cuts off, it never turns back on on its own, so I have to manually turn it off then turn it back on and it works fine again. So annoying. Don't know if it really is static electricity, but I don't know why else the hearing aid would cut off all of a sudden just because of hair falling from behind the ear.

I always blamed it on static electricity... it's happened several times with the Supero, until I started pulling my hair back everyday, then it's quit. But it's happened once with the Naida already.. It took months before the Supero started cutting off due to my hair falling out from behind my ear, and sometimes if I rub my head on the back of the recliner (I don't even mean to, it just happens), sometimes that would cause the Supero to cut off too. Hate when this happens. Once it cuts off, it never turns back on on its own, so I have to manually turn it off then turn it back on and it works fine again. So annoying. Don't know if it really is static electricity, but I don't know why else the hearing aid would cut off all of a sudden just because of hair falling from behind the ear.

Yeah, that does happen to me sometimes! It was a seperate problem from the turning on and off constantly and I assumed it was a problem with the battery contacts in the aid. It sometimes happens when I adjust my glasses, or tuck my hair behind my ear. I always though that the little jostle this gave the aid caused the battery to lose contact and so the aid would shut off.

I wear glasses too, but the glasses don't bother my hearing aid. but the hair does, if it's staticky. it's annoying. I'm going to talk to my audie about this. I don't think this should be happening. hmm.

I am going to mention it to my audi too...hmmm...I will let you know what she says! How is the adjustment to them going? Is all still okay?

I have a friend who is on day three of her trial and she hates them. I am trying to convince her to keep trying because she is having the same problems I had when I started with them. I keep trying to tell her it will get better!

Yeah, the first few days are always going to be bad. This is my 3rd digital hearing aid. Haven't had more adjustments since.... Tuesday? I'm going to wait until the earmold arrives at the office, then I'll bug my audie for adjustments. Have a new list of issues going. I have no idea if the frequencies are still compressed, but I'll talk to him about it. Still not liking how music sounds. and in general, I'm still having a hard time understanding speech. It gets frustrating, but just have to keep going, keep making adjustments, as with any technology really. Computers, you have to adjust them and fix them up to your liking, etc. got to love technology!

Back