one ear dragging you down?

Nowhere did I say you are unhappy with your implants. I am just saying your backhand attempt at putting down Deaf culture in rather snide attempts, in which you say you're not, but in actuality you are, that you have an agenda as result of bad experiences prior to your implants. Obviously you are happy with the life you have now, but you have unresolved issues with your past, otherwise these attempts to dismiss other people's views of the world would not exist in your posts.

Most cultures are derived from language divisions and barriers. Have you noticed as the number of languages dwindled around the world, thanks to Anglo-American imperialist export of the English language, individualistic cultures are rapidly melting into one big pot? Once the language goes, soon the culture disappears as well. This is evident among the aboriginals of the Americas, the aboriginals of the Far East, among the diverse groups of people in Southeast Asia, in India and in Africa. It is rather depressing languages and cultures are being lost, however that is because everyone is conforming to one standard.

With any minority groups, there will always have the "us versus them" mentality. If you are a privileged member of society, you would not understand this mentality. As someone who remembered what being poor is like, of a prosecuted religious order, being picked up for my family's unusual accent, as someone who grew up a blue-collared family, as someone who grew up with English and American Sign Language in a bilingual setting, and someone who is blind, there are communities in which everyone identify with: the blind community, the deaf community, the impoverished community, the Mennonite community, the Slavic community, the Albertan community, the western Canadian society, Canadian society, the North American entity. If you cannot understand these divisions and identities that enable people to call a group of people "a community" or "a society," then maybe, you are looking at things too scientifically?

Usually I only see the mentality you have displayed in your posts from undergraduates who are majoring in engineering or in the hard sciences; all I am asking is to shift your view to see things from a humanitarian view-- not one of a scientific.

Wow, World War III has practically broken out and I'm still laughing over Jenny's comments about her friend's birds.

Your suppositions are incorrect. I have had a "hearing problem" for almost 50 years-inherited from my father.Sensorineural to be exact. Obviously, one can't hear backwards- eg use modern digital hearing aids 40 years ago. Not a current concern of mine.
However labelling "deafness" as the equivalent of "minority group" is a different matter which the obverse being "hearing" is the majority.I would suspect not to many people realize this! This "splitting" doesn't make sense. Again my point-- what does EVERY person in actuality say by getting an Implant-- Leaving "deaf culture"? Or gain Hearing back-hopefully?
I was never in University and worked in the Accounting field till recently retired.
I have mentioned that i took a number of Hearing Help classes here in Toronto-Canadian Hearing Society since 1992. Yeah was even part of York University study how persons at CHS used Hearing Help courses to cope with Hearing Loss. My final course was Speech Reading Feb-Apr/07-deaf- while waiting for Sunnybrook/Toronto to "judge" my suitable for an Implant. My speech reading ability dropped 20% from the previous year. Thanks goodness I was successful in getting a Cochlear Implant.
Viewing people in discrete units seems to be a view in sociology-valid?
In the middle 90s there was an uproar here in Ontario re Implants adults/children. Captured in the film Sound & Fury. An article in a magazine Saturday Night- March 1996 gave extensive discussion on the matter. Part of file I generated prior to becoming deaf. Yeah I had lots of info including a 40 page discussion by Cochlear Corporation on their Implants in 1998. Ironically-Advanced Bionics was judged "best" for me in 2007- which I use.

Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

A further footnote: was quite active in the CHS/Toronto- Hearing Help classes.Peace for the moment- my user name is coming on TV!

Advanced Bionics Harmony activated Aug/07

As for your assertions re deaf people don't use the term hearing impaired is contradicted I am DEAF and do use it as a descriptive/medical term. As most people that I have met over the last 30 years.-do also.

Culturally Deaf people do not. I do not identify as hearing impaired, you do not identify as culturally Deaf. I respect that.

I have no comment whether you consider remaining in your present circumstances apparently requiring everyone else learn ASL to communicate with you or write it out or use an Interpreter.

So you live in Toronto right? Why don't we meet face to face? Pick a quite starbucks or timothies or something. Sit down for coffee and then you can better judge my current circumstances. I am 100% serious, I would love to meet you.

Is there too much of a threat to see a Deaf adult, without a CI, who is able to live a full life while embracing their hearing loss and 10%-15% speech discrimination scores?

Deaf adults per se are not a threat to me-met a few at CHS/Toronto while taking Hearing Help/Speech Reading courses. I don't know ASL thus short of writing all words would find it "difficult" to communicate. Computer terminals are fine as is Text TTY phone-which I have. Still use VCO TTY as this Implant doesn't pick up voices very well. According to Amy Ng -many of Sunnybrook's patients have the same problem. Seems I have had lots of practice being ORAL deaf when using my TTY phone-speak loud enough. I have to disconnect the Implant when accessing Relay Service-711. I have had my Ultra Tec 1140 TTY phone since Jan/96. All incoming calls are "taped"-Bell Canada Telemessage Service and accessed by the Relay Service on my behalf- 416 210 0698. The Relay Service only handles one side-mine by hearing on my behalf then keying on the screen. Quite use to it.
Off to Sunnybrook this Wednesday and getting my new Processor mapped-just crossed 3 years and "insured now for the next 3 years". Thanks in part to Ontario ADP programme.

Deaf adults per se eh...trust me you don't want to get into any sort of debate with Jenny about Deaf issues or otherwise..she's not one to back down. As such you shouldn't even be debating this issue with her in the first place. She IS culturally Deaf you're NOT! Not every Ddeaf person has to get a CI heck. I don't HAVE to get a CI but I want one because that's what *I think* is right for me. Do I knock jenny for not wanting to be immersed in the hearing world..hell no..i don't even like it sometimes..My hearing aids are basically if I'm with ppl..if I'm by myself i don't wear them..why should i? To satisfy other ppl? notttt.. Don't get me wrong I like to hear things...heck I get frustrated easily sometimes when I don't..but to say to someone and judge how THEY live their lives is a big nono...especially when you are on a forum with CULTURALLY Deaf ppl. You are not Deaf my friend..in my opinion... you are medically deaf little d not big D...you don't care about ASL, don't care about how deaf children are raised etc. And furthermore just because you are involved with CHS doesn't mean you are culturally deaf...it means you advocate for yourself...buttt that's bout it. Also just to let you know on Alldeaf we have signature spots for a reason...so do us all a favor and just put in it the type of implant you have and when u were activated and where so in every frigging post you don't have to put re cochlear implant sunnybrook cochlear section , harmony atria etc so on and so forth.. it's redundant

Deaf adults per se eh...trust me you don't want to get into any sort of debate with Jenny about Deaf issues or otherwise..she's not one to back down. As such you shouldn't even be debating this issue with her in the first place. She IS culturally Deaf you're NOT! Not every Ddeaf person has to get a CI heck. I don't HAVE to get a CI but I want one because that's what *I think* is right for me. Do I knock jenny for not wanting to be immersed in the hearing world..hell no..i don't even like it sometimes..My hearing aids are basically if I'm with ppl..if I'm by myself i don't wear them..why should i? To satisfy other ppl? notttt.. Don't get me wrong I like to hear things...heck I get frustrated easily sometimes when I don't..but to say to someone and judge how THEY live their lives is a big nono...especially when you are on a forum with CULTURALLY Deaf ppl. You are not Deaf my friend..in my opinion... you are medically deaf little d not big D...you don't care about ASL, don't care about how deaf children are raised etc. And furthermore just because you are involved with CHS doesn't mean you are culturally deaf...it means you advocate for yourself...buttt that's bout it. Also just to let you know on Alldeaf we have signature spots for a reason...so do us all a favor and just put in it the type of implant you have and when u were activated and where so in every frigging post you don't have to put re cochlear implant sunnybrook cochlear section , harmony atria etc so on and so forth.. it's redundant

Someone had finally said it.... thank you, Alicia

Deaf adults per se are not a threat to me-met a few at CHS/Toronto while taking Hearing Help/Speech Reading courses. I don't know ASL thus short of writing all words would find it "difficult" to communicate.

Your assumptions entertain me. We would not need to write, and you would not need to know ASL to communicate with me. We would do just fine, using your preferred method of Spoken English. You would actually probably find communicating with me much easier than with most hearing people, since I am very aware of the need for visual cues in speech understanding.

LOL overthepond...like frig..if I have to read where he got implanted, when, how, etc im gonna freak..i dont care to know his life story in ever post or whether or not he took speechreading classes at chs and how great dr chen is...i feel like I know more about him than I know about my girlfriend for goodness sake

Your assumptions entertain me. We would not need to write, and you would not need to know ASL to communicate with me. We would do just fine, using your preferred method of Spoken English. You would actually probably find communicating with me much easier than with most hearing people, since I am very aware of the need for visual cues in speech understanding.

very true..jenny prob has worse hearing than you did before you got your AB harmony atriaa implanted in 07 at sunnybrook cochlear section by Dr. Chen, and she speaks like she's hearing...with her hearing aids off unless she told u she was Deaf or u already know she lipreads perfectly ...she may even have better speech thank me lol:giggle:

Someone had finally said it.... thank you, Alicia

LOL overthepond...like frig..if I have to read where he got implanted, when, how, etc im gonna freak..i dont care to know his life story in ever post or whether or not he took speechreading classes at chs and how great dr chen is...i feel like I know more about him than I know about my girlfriend for goodness sake

It's not english, just block of words with alot of /'s and dates... As if we wanna to know every exact date in every post he posts.

I rarely reply after him, The first few post he posted had put me off straight away.

Excatly.... valid points.

very true..jenny prob has worse hearing than you did before you got your AB harmony atriaa implanted in 07 at sunnybrook cochlear section by Dr. Chen, and she speaks like she's hearing...with her hearing aids off unless she told u she was Deaf or u already know she lipreads perfectly ...she may even have better speech thank me lol:giggle:

That was a bit of an exaggeration :giggle: I communicate quite well though. ASL or English. I can switch back and forth quite easily. I can't use a phone. I can't function in a group setting, but from the sounds of it, neither can drphil. I guess the only real differences between drphil and I are that I am bilingual with ASL and English, drphil is not. I have am involved in the Deaf community, drphil is not. drphil has some electrodes and magnets implanted in their head, I do not.

Can someone remind me why being bilingual, and culturally diverse is a bad thing?

That was a bit of an exaggeration :giggle: I communicate quite well though. ASL or English. I can switch back and forth quite easily. I can't use a phone. I can't function in a group setting, but from the sounds of it, neither can drphil. I guess the only real differences between drphil and I are that I am bilingual with ASL and English, drphil is not. I have am involved in the Deaf community, drphil is not. drphil has some electrodes and magnets implanted in their head, I do not.

Can someone remind me why being bilingual, and culturally diverse is a bad thing?

This just like is me, I can communicate in English or BSL or both at same time which is called SSE, drphil, I was born profoundly deaf and all my life I had hearing aids, got by just about. Although, I now have Cochlear implant (if you must know, drphil, SOECIC, right ear implanted July/08, Activicated Aug/08 with Cochlear Nucleus Freedom in shade of brown), I still use BSL with my deaf friends, and spoken lang with hearing friends yes I do get by with hearing friends so why won't you get by with deaf people and learn about their life/struggles/good things about being deaf/ acceptance of being deaf and learn their language.

Ok exaggerated just a tad loL :p but seriously your speech is really good...and FYI drphil most CI users I know hearing journey website and cochlear community can use the phone so I dunno what your amy from sunnybrook is leading you to believe but MANY users can and do use the phone ... Just so you know:)

Yeah I know some persons with an Implant can use a phone- I can't. I tested this- right from the start. Not a real concern as I will continue using my TTY- as I have since Jan/96. Amy Ng observations are based on her extensive work over a number of years at Sunnybrook which has been designated by the Ontario Government-Cochlear Implant section 18 years.I understand approximately 1/4 of Ontario- is processed here.. They know what they are "talking" about from extensive experience. I have NO complaints on my interactions with them since February. 2007.
I not sure what the colour of an Implant implies- to me- nothing! I have grey.
I guess it depends on one's social group on how many other persons know various sign communications: ASL/BSL systems. It seems to me unless SOMEONE else knows what the signs mean- you aren't communicating at least in "signs". Why would a "member of public" want to learn ASL if they don't know anyone who is "deaf"? Hard to learn without extensive practice. To me Speech Reading is different than ASL.
Considering our substantial age difference Jenny B- my 2 sons are twice your age- I have NEVER indicated "disapproval" to any member here. These are discussions NOT a character "autopsy" report on anyone. I have read many books on "deaf culture" over the last 30 years and followed the "uproar" re Implants. If ones knows different sign systems-ASL/BSL/QSL-be my guest. I don't.
As noted above- I am ORAL deaf since December 20/06 and will remain for the rest of my life.

drphil - none of us are suggesting you learn ASL. At least I am not. However I know all of us would appreciate if you stopped calling our language a "sign system" because it is a language. We would also appreciate if you stopped denying the existence of our culture.

Living in Toronto we experience, we have experiences everyday with people who do not know English. There is a massive immigrant population and a walk down Spadina, or the Danforth - to name a few - and you will certainly encounter people who do not speak English. If you try to talk to them in English it won't mean a thing. Unless the other person knows English you aren't communicating with them when using spoken English either.

Most of the time I do not speak by choice. I do not speak at school, because when I do people misunderstand and have an expectation for me to hear. I am more comfortable using ASL and communicating freely that way. My University has Deaf faculty, and a good sized Deaf population. My point is, you would be surprised how many people know ASL. When I am out I will often come across waiters, cashiers, secretaries, etc that sign.

I think the key here is respect. We respect that you chose a CI and to be oral. It makes perfect sense for you being late-deafened. However, it wasn't the decision for me. Who knows, maybe someday it will be, but right now it isn't. I have my community, my culture, and my language.

A note about colors - I guess to some it is irrelevant. Some of us like to fancy up our hearing devices...my aids are purple, and my new earmolds will be purple and lime green and my last ones were pink and blue. Alicia's aids are zebra print with black/white striped molds. In my opinion, I have to wear them so why not have fun! Just like with glasses though, some choose simple and subtle and others choose funky and loud. My glasses are hot pink and bright mauve too...It matches my personality.

Back